Dynasphere, Forgotten Vehicle Of The Future

Could the Dynasphere have replaced the car? Probably not, but it’s still fun to dream of an alternate world in which it did. Via the Museum of RetroTechnology:

The Dynasphere was invented Dr. J. H. Purves. In the picture below, the son of the inventor is at the controls, and apparently having some difficulties in steering; leaning this monowheel to one side is clearly not going to be easy. The Dynosphere was reported to have reached 30 mph on this run…[and] was said to have weighed 1000 pounds. One eye-witness states: “As a lad one day in the 1930s I went to the beach and saw a man trying to drive a huge wheel across the sands. It wasn’t very successful and wobbled about … I have always wondered what it was or whether I imagined it.”

dynawheel

More on: Museum of RetroTechnology

11 Comments on "Dynasphere, Forgotten Vehicle Of The Future"

1. Forget this where’s my hover skateboard!

2. Hadrian999 | Feb 10, 2012 at 2:06 pm |

if i had one i believe i would seriously injure myself

• You aren’t alone in that.

“I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities”
      – Data

3. Ronniedobbs | Feb 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

4. Kilgore Trout | Feb 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm |

All the people of the Arab Spring uprisings got scammed. They thought they were going to get democracy instead they got more thugs telling them what to do. Now the idiots don’t know who to blame. The Egyptians are pissed and look silly.

• chinagreenelvis | Feb 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

We’re sorry, the number you are trying to call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number, and dial again.

5. chinagreenelvis | Feb 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

The best part is that he’s got a perfectly good vehicle inside that giant wheel.

6. Mr Willow | Feb 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm |

I see your Dynasphere, and raise you a Monowheel:

7. Spike1138 | Feb 19, 2012 at 8:39 am |

Honestly, my absolute first impression:- that’s clearly not a sphere… These people are idiots! What kind of engineers are they?? I’d rather stick my arm in a tankful of phirranas than take their word that that thing is completely safe…

8. There is no way that  thing could stop, because its rotational motion would just send the driver’s seat end over end if he (thought ) he had brakes.