How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy

catnapIs a microscopic, mind-altering parasite spread by cats responsible for car accidents, hoarding behaviors, and schizophrenia? Respected scientists are now saying that “crazy cat lady” disease is real and millions of people are infected. Shocker from Kathleen McAuliffe in the Atlantic:

Jaroslav Flegr is no kook. And yet, for years, he suspected his mind had been taken over by parasites that had invaded his brain. So the prolific biologist took his science-fiction hunch into the lab. What he’s now discovering will startle you. Could tiny organisms carried by house cats be creeping into our brains, causing everything from car wrecks to schizophrenia?

The parasite, which is excreted by cats in their feces, is called Toxoplasma gondii and is the microbe that causes toxoplasmosis — the reason pregnant women are told to avoid cats’ litter boxes. Since the 1920s, doctors have recognized that a woman who becomes infected during pregnancy can transmit the disease to the fetus, in some cases resulting in severe brain damage or death.

Healthy children and adults, however, usually experience nothing worse than brief flu-like symptoms before quickly fighting off the protozoan, which thereafter lies dormant inside brain cells — or at least that’s the standard medical wisdom.

But if Flegr is right, the “latent” parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents. And that’s not all …

Read More: Atlantic

49 Comments on "How Your Cat Is Making You Crazy"

1. Ronniedobbs | Feb 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm |

pussy is nothing but problems man

• “Also, it could be women find infected men more attractive. That’s something else we hope to test.”

Some guys get all the pussy. Boom!

Thank you, I’ll be here all week.

2. I knew my cat was trying to kill me.

3. Bitch please…. cats will have control of the world

4. Louis Wain tried to warn us!

5. My cat makes me crazy because she refuses to read even a single book by Robert Anton Wilson, telling me her “mental polarities are ALREADY reversed” and therefore she has no reason to explore RAW’s writings.

And she claims I gave HER a mental disease.

It’s a real struggle between us at the moment, but that’s how it’s always been with felines.

6. Anarchy Pony | Feb 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm |

Who is really in control?

7. all chicks I know with cats are fucking crazy. more so than non-cat women.

8. justagirl | Feb 10, 2012 at 3:40 pm |

actually, in my house, i’m the one trying to kill the cat.  so far, i’ve been unsuccessful.  she’s quite wily like her old lady.

9. eyeoftheaxis | Feb 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm |

It’s not enough that I blame the cat for my farts, now I’m get to blame em’ for me being crazy.

10. Does this mean extermination?

11. GoodDoktorBad | Feb 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm |

Mario sez: Crazy is as crazy does.

Shut up and feed me bitches….

12. Not enough information was posted here. This is a parasite carried by outdoor cats that are eating wildlife and not linked to indoor cats.

13. Forget cats, what about the parasite know as government?

14. Micah Dylan | Feb 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

of course pussy makes you crazy all the people who have one are obviously crazy & every time someone who doesn’t have one interacts with one it makes them crazy

but seriously doesn’t thinking your cats caused your schizophrenia seem like a
    schizophrenic fantasy?

i’m not saying it’s not true, i’m just saying that’s kinda fucked up & also a little bit awesome …

original article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2099431/Is-cat-making-crazy-Feline-parasite-cause-schizophrenia-humans.html

below is the photo from the article

15. Oh yeah, always trying to blame the cat for all the world’s psycho’s and losers. Must be a dog person. What about all the parasites that are left behind by dogs when they go poo outside on the lawn and during those walks? Dogs have been around as pets longer than cats have!

• Deadman5551 | Feb 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm |

What, what about those parasites? Can they infect humans, because I can’t find any traces of diseases such as T. Gondii left behind from dogs. 😛

16. Cats were domesticated 5000 years ago
    Civilization got started 5000 years ago

We realized this in 2012
    The world ends in 2012

Paul Reuban – 10 letters, 3 syllables. Pee Wee Herman – 3 words, 4 syllables, 12 letters
    That makes 666
    Basic numerology.

• sonicbphuct | Feb 11, 2012 at 8:11 am |

bravo!

• MayanParadisite | Feb 12, 2012 at 12:00 am |

Mayans told us all the cat parasites would die by 2013.  It will be a glorious paradise brother, when the parasites are finally gone, and humanity can live and think freely once again.

• the Egyptians did have cats in the hieroglyphics… and its common knowledge aliens ruled the shit outa that place… cats are definitely alien spies. Thank you for opening my eyes!

17. Cheesing!

18. Cats rule!

19. Cat man do. | Feb 11, 2012 at 10:06 am |

Hmmm…  the only song to which my cat reacts is “Killing me Softly”…  really, he closes his eyes and moves his head side to side…  now Im scared.

20. I didn’t think even all cats carried this. And how are you ingesting parasites from feces?

21. madison34 | Feb 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm |

Um so what is the excuse for the hoarders who don’t have cats? In reality, the people I know with cats are neat and the dog people tend to be messy but maybe the people I know are wierd

22. i love you fat

23. TruthersSoSmart | Feb 12, 2012 at 12:03 am |

I love how dumb cat people are.  “Cats rule the world!!!”  durr.  No, parasites rule the cats AND you.  OWNED.  Dogs 4 life.

24. Lester Nesterenco | Feb 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm |

Don’t panic. Apparently 80% of humans already have the thing.

25. gwen jackson | Feb 23, 2012 at 6:23 am |

we realized our planet’s rotation was slowing down. at first we didn’t see it as a problem. there were long, sunny days for sleeping. and long, dark nights for sleeping.

please, no jokes about eating pussy. too obvious.

26. gwen jackson | Feb 23, 2012 at 7:13 am |

Awwww! birds get toxoplasmosis too!

27. This kind of crap should be stored in a larger file, with idiocies like circumcision helps prevent AIDS infection or that condoms are useless against certain viruses, because latex molecular distances are bigger than the viruses themselves. Or that using glasses will worsen your eyes conditions.

28. Amanda Hanson | Feb 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm |

That explains how cats were able to domesticate us!