Yet Again, YouTubers Ask Obama About Drug Reform

Isn’t it funny how a Democrat refuses to listen to the people who put him in power? From Alternet:

“We need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws.”

Can you guess which 2012 presidential candidate said the above statement? You’d be forgiven for thinking Ron Paul, or even Gary Johnson, since both have publicly advocated for reforming our country’s drug laws. You’d be forgiven for guessing anyone but Barack Obama, based on his actions during the past few years, but it was. It may be hard to believe, but President Obama is the same person who once called for reforming our marijuana laws, and deemed the drug war an “utter failure” during his 2004 campaign for the US Senate. Despite previous calls for reform, on Monday night, when faced with over 70,000 individuals urging him to address the issue of marijuana prohibition, Obama’s only response was his silence. NORML and Law Enforcement Against Prohibition posted two of the most popular questions submitted to the White House’s recent Q&A on YouTube, alongside hundreds of others on the topic of marijuana law reform, but Obama offered no response or acknowledgement.

This recent attempt at citizen engagement, entitled “Your Interview With the President,” was launched to coincide with the State of the Union Address. The concept was simple. Anyone could submit a text or video question through the White House YouTube channel, before the public voted on them over the course of the week. The highest rated questions would be selected for Obama to address. On Tuesday, January 24th, NORML submitted a question of our own, which inquired:

“With over 850,000 Americans arrested in 2010, for marijuana charges alone, and tens of billions of tax dollars being spent locking up non-violent marijuana users, isn’t it time we regulate and tax marijuana?”

The question exploded in popularity and received more than 4,000 votes in the first several hours, making it the 2nd highest rated question. Much to our surprise, that evening the question was removed from the YouTube channel and flagged as “inappropriate.” In response, an upset contingent of citizens flooded the page with marijuana law reform questions…

[continues at Alternet]

11 Comments on "Yet Again, YouTubers Ask Obama About Drug Reform"

  1. Mr Willow | Feb 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm |

    Typical. 

    Censor the questions. Ignore the concern. 

    The problem will probably work itself out. . . 

  2. It should be illegal to question our President.

    • timbobway | Feb 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

      Agreed we should also hang portiat’s or our president in our house and be forced to worship him as a god. 

  3. No real important questions asked, really quite dissapointing.  The fact that Obama can flat out lie about the economy getting better is just sickening, things are really quite plesent right now, compared to how bad things will get in the near future.

  4. No real important questions asked, really quite dissapointing. The fact that Obama can flat out lie about the economy getting better is just sickening, things are really quite plesent right now, compared to how bad things will get in the near future.

  5. Can’t help but laugh at the irony. “Nobody expects anbody to anything for them”, hey, wait up WTF, there is not one rich ass hat from the top 1% that not only expects but demands the other 99% work and make money for the 1%.
    Growing the economy is not the problem, rebalancing the economy is the problem, ensuring the economy supports the majority rather the exploiting them.

  6. Obama: all talk, no constructive action.

  7. discusthrower | Feb 2, 2012 at 10:36 am |

    on the one hand people are in trouble and marijuana isn’t going to help them get a grip…

    on the other hand, marijuana can be a great way to appreciate what one is missing out on in life IMO…

    In a way, isn’t the problem that we are having as a society have to do with making the enjoyment of life inappropriate, or inconvenient?  We need to socially engineer ‘getting high,’ in whatever form it may take, into a socially constructive activity.  Who says that working for the common good can’t be a good time also?  Unfortunately the naysayers are legion… but I say it can be the best of both worlds.

    Govt would like to blame drugs on people’s antisocial behavior, but why don’t they just nip it in the bud, and blame antisocial behavior itself… and I don’t mean quiet people… we could probably use more of them also…

  8. Culture is not your friend…T.Mckenna

  9. Haystack | Feb 3, 2012 at 1:11 am |

    I feel better about my Nader vote every day.

  10. Christine Migala | Feb 4, 2012 at 11:34 pm |

    marijuana is messing with  big pharma which is the biggest money making corporation, thats why

Comments are closed.