Atari Teenage Riot Donates Money From Sony To Hacker Group

Musically suspect Atari Teenage Riot sets a nice example. Here’s how to maintain your credibility when corporations knock on your door — accept their money and give it away to their most hated enemies. Pitchfork reports:

Alec Empire, frontman of the German electropunk group Atari Teenage Riot, has handed a large sum earned from Sony Entertainment off to FreeAnons, which is part of the pro-hacker Anonymous Solidarity Network [and] offers financial support to individuals facing legal trouble for alleged work with the Anonymous hacker group.

The money came from licensing the song “Black Flags” for use in a commercial for the PlayStation Vita console. It’s a particularly humorous move considering that Anonymous has in the past been in direct conflict with Sony.

34 Comments on "Atari Teenage Riot Donates Money From Sony To Hacker Group"

1. JohnFrancisBittrich | Mar 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm |

“musically suspect”? Early tracks like “Start The Riot”, “Delete Yourself” and “P.R.E.S.S.” are clasrsic, genre-defining calls to arms. Disinfo writers should really leave the music criticism to the music journalists and keep writing about all the wonderful fringy topics Disinfo is known and praised for.

• JohnFrancisBittrich | Mar 10, 2012 at 9:02 pm |

(not that most music journalists aren’t utterly bereft of any sort of real critical/historical context and perspective as well… and most of them could care less about actually developing their descriptive writing capabilities… but that’s another rant for another time, which would be better served on a forum seen by others who, like myself, are actually in that industry.)

• Everyone’s a critic. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Mar 13, 2012 at 8:06 am |

Whenever I hear people criticize music based on it’s genre, I do cringe a little bit. It’s no different from ‘high art’ classical music purists with all their snobbery and sticks up their asses.

• I understand where you’re coming from but I try to stay away from the postmodernist “everyone has a valid viewpoint, and everyone deserves a trophy”. We still got to be able to say stuff is bad. (i’m not necessarily saying this is bad, just talking in general)

There is plenty of music i hate in genre’s that i like, and plenty of music i love in genres that I dislike.(except dubstep, call me a cynical douche but.. just.. no. I can’t stand dubstep)

2. DeepCough | Mar 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm |

Hey, all money is bloodmoney. And I’ll take electropunk over most dubstep.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 10, 2012 at 11:27 pm |

from the way I hear people talk about it, I’m glad I still have no fucking clue what dubstep is

3. Chaos is my dogs name | Mar 11, 2012 at 2:26 am |

That may as well be my daughter.   I’m so happy they are supporting the anonymous.  The corrupt powers that be are out of control.   This is just a drop in the bucket.  Yeah, thank you anonymous

4. ‘Musically suspect’…what is this, the grumpy old farts forum? Why bother getting worked up about what the music is like? It’s what they did with the money that is interesting.
    Or are we still waiting to find out what Bono thinks?

5. Baby_boy_1998 | Mar 11, 2012 at 6:42 am |

nice bit of marketting right there from atr

6. but freeanons are already funded by the FBI..

7. Apathesis | Mar 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm |

Wow, this shit is fucking awful.  Rage did it better.

• Concretesox | Mar 12, 2012 at 7:14 am |

ATR existed long before RATM and was clearly a huge influence on them.

• Concretesox | Mar 12, 2012 at 7:18 am |

Alright, I guess technically they weren’t according the the internet but RATM didn’t do anything better…
        Where did the money go?

• Geaux Ghoti | Mar 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

Music evolves… We do not. Not our taste, anyway… Rage didn’t do it BETTER per se, they just did it for a different generation.

• Speak for yourself, I’m still learning to appreciate more and more forms of music.  There’s a 5% to 10% of every genre that’s good.

Also, I like ATR and RATM about equally.

• Geaux Ghoti | Mar 29, 2012 at 2:47 am |

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound so… Literal. My point was that I’m not overly fond of my kids music, my dad hated mine, his dad hated his, his dad hated his, etc. We will find new things that we like throughout our lives, but for the most part, we won’t change all that much… Let us also remember that we’re not all alike… In other words, simply because some of us can and will “learn to appreciate” something new does not mean we’re all so open…

8. atari rules!!

9. what a shit version of rage against the machine, terrible terrible terrible, who the fuck signed this bunch of tits.

10. hahaha. lol Atari