Bill Maher On The ‘Joke Candidate’

Y’know, it’s not wrong to think that Obama is the only logical choice in 2012, and not because he is the right choice, but because the GOP has no real mainstream contenders who can speak a lick of sense on any issue. But Bill Maher gives a rather ominous perspective on just how much the “joke candidate” can become the “underdog-elect” in November.

25 Comments on "Bill Maher On The ‘Joke Candidate’"

1. Redacted | Mar 8, 2012 at 7:45 pm |

Lethal joke characters. Really funny, until the prancing dandy with a lisp becomes President Santorum.

• Liam_McGonagle | Mar 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

I think I hear you.  I spent a lot of energy arguing to pretty much the same effect during last midterms.But I’m not sure I believe that any more.

You’ve got the Republicans who’re actively trying to steer us onto the rocks, and you have a simpering idiot like Obama, constantly looking over his shoulder at his polling teams and asking, “What I should I do?  Rocks?  Do you want me to steer into the rocks?  It looks like you’re asking me to steer into the rocks.  But I can’t tell–I can’t hear you loudly enough.  Should I turn into the rocks?”

The only effective difference between the two is how long ’til they crash into the rocks.  To be honest, the only marginal advatange I see to be obtained by voting at all would be to hurry up the process.  The sooner we crash the sooner we’re all dead or can at least begin whatever feeble rescue efforts might be possible, while we still have the strength to pursue the option.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm |

hey liam, remember all those times you called me an idiot for not backing obama, american politics is like a contest you would swear everyone is trying to lose.

• I was only trying to make a street fighter reference and a gay joke targeted at Santorum. I do appreciate you finding a deeper meaning in my post though ;p

And yes Jin, the vidya reference was for you

2. I think nobody is going to the GOP convention with a majority and the nominee will be picked by GOP money people and power brokers in a hotel suite. Hopefully, the entertainment starts right after the candidate gets nominated and people start screaming “WE WUZ ROBBED!!!”.

3. My favorite part of the video is where Bill comments on how Liberals are in their own bubble. What he doesn’t state but hints at is that the Liberal Bubble is smaller than the Conservative bubble.

From someone who makes an effort to see beyond the liberal bubble.

4. Well I’ve already decided it.

I’m voting for Roseanne Barr.

And ANY other Liberal woman who runs for office who will protect my rights as a female.

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 9, 2012 at 2:03 am |

i’d love to see a woman president/pm or head of state (liberal, progressive or radical of course!)
      but with how regressive politics has become, the best i could see is a margaret thatcher type which of course is anti-feminist and opposed to the whole reason behind a female head of state…

5. FYI Bill — “IQ won”, and “Barbecue” lost.

And you advised justifiably outraged people at the time, to “Just let it go.”

You know, just let go of your voting rights. Stop whining about Republican election fraud. ‘Cause what else could go wrong after that?

What else could go wrong — what OTHER rights might we lose once we’re willing to be so slack about our most FUNDAMENTAL right?

Hmmm……. I think I can hear the 1st, 4th, 5th, Amendments as the Equal Protection Clause crying in the back room. Excuse me, I need to get them a tissue.

6. Camron Wiltshire | Mar 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm |

I didn’t watch the video.  Bill Maher is another media mockingbird pretending the game is real.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5BJzEshMes  Talking heads won’t save us.  We had better do that ourselves, step one is acknowledging what is real and what isn’t.
    My favorite moment, is when he prances up the stairs to accost the man who dares challenge the sacred myth of 9/11.  He then repeats the offense when challenged by a female as to his cowardice regarding Building 7, his response to her very valid question?  “I’ll kick your ass out of here too…”, “Get her the fuck out of here”…  “This is the problem with live television…”  See what the evidence the mockingbird ignores at RememberBuilding7.org

• BillMaherWasRight | Mar 9, 2012 at 9:20 pm |

I wonder if you hit a Truther hard enough in the head, do they finally grow a brain?

• Camron Wiltshire | Mar 9, 2012 at 11:47 pm |

RememberBuilding7.org

• Misinformation | Mar 10, 2012 at 1:11 am |

I don’t know man, Maher looked perfectly reasonable in not addressing any of the questions about the steel building with no structural damage that fell at free fall speed.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

how can you on one hand say the game isn’t real and then spend so much time shilling for one of the major players in the game

• Camron Wiltshire | Mar 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm |

I’m assuming you are in a disparaging way alluding to my support for Dr. Ron Paul.
        Just a few reasons I adamantly support him.
        Dr. Paul is Anti War (Check)Anti Fed (Check)Cut the Deficit by 1Trillion in the first year. (Check)30 Years of Constitutional integrity as evidenced by voting record (Check)Never voted to raise taxes (Check)Would rescind the Patriot Act (Check)Preserve Internet freedoms (Check)Reestablish Checks and Balances as per Constitutional mandate (Check)Disband the government’s infinite bureaucratic matrix including agencies such as the NEA, DEA, TSA, oh and the CIA.  Supports a new 9/11 investigation.  (you ever hear anything like this from another candidate you just tell me when and where, because I would like to know who else is willing to call a spade, a spade.So if by supporting the ONE candidate who I actually principally agree with, this equals “shilling” in your eyes, what does that say about your world view?

• Hadrian999 | Mar 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

by supporting any candidate or party in the game you support the game

• Camron Wiltshire | Mar 10, 2012 at 6:53 pm |

Hasty Generalization Fallacy.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm |

no you’re right, I’m sure your favorite career politician will be the one to break down the system he has been serving all this time

• Eric_D_Read | Mar 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm |

Nobody who values their paycheck is going to touch the 9/11 controversy. Maher learned his lesson the last time he said something genuinely dangerous (suicide bombers aren’t cowards, the ones who launch cruise missiles from 100 miles away are) and he was yanked off the air pronto.

Besides, in spite of the obvious fallacy of the official story, 9/11 is a dead issue. Everybody who is willing to question the official story already is. Everyone else will die before admit to themselves that it is possible that their leaders would sacrifice a couple thousand lives to get what they wanted. Nothing short of a full public confession by the entire Bush administration’s senior leadership is going to change that.

7. Misinformation | Mar 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm |