Dementia Derived From Eating Squirrel Meat

20120303_IRP002_0The Economist notes that in our strange and economically unstable times, many are turning to eating meats from odder, less desirable animals. One tidbit is that mad-cow disease has broken out in Kentucky of late due to consumption of squirrel brains:

The manager of the Budgens supermarket in the London suburb of Crouch End says sales of squirrel meat have soared since he started selling it in 2010. The bushy-tailed tree-dwellers are just one category in a burgeoning market. Osgrow, a British-based firm, exports bison, crocodile (“ideal for barbecues”) and kudu meat to customers in countries where controls on wild meat are tighter.

Wild meat is not always tasty. Black bear is “bloody and a bit metallic”. Nor is it always healthy. Doctors in Kentucky say eating squirrel brains is linked to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (better known as mad-cow disease). Squirrels are now mainly sold headless.

20 Comments on "Dementia Derived From Eating Squirrel Meat"

1. good ol’ Prion diseases…

People need to stop eating animal brains.

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm |

i am just reminded of all the french cdn christmas’ i have ever attended where tete de veau/cochon or head cheese was served….

• MoralDrift | Mar 9, 2012 at 3:45 am |

no doubt. Brains are not good food

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm |

are you inferring people from appalachia eat squirrel!?

i am appalled at how regionalist you are being:P!!!

• Calypso_1 | Mar 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm |

Me and mine have been of the Appalachian sort since the 1720’s upon my father’s kin and upon my mother’s before that on account of the Cherokee relations and such.  Gramps taught me to use a grapefruit spoon to scrape brain out of the meninges and sever the medulla – then with a splash of Worcestershire, down like an oyster.  Now I just give ’em to the dogs – if’un I gets to’em first.  They usually eat the heads off before them tree chickens stop twitchin anyway.  Best damn squirrely dogs I ever had.

2. Fuck.  I just ate my first squirrel last month.  “Tree Chickens”, they said….

Fuck.

3. Sea Sea Mar | Mar 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm |

Dementia Derived From Eating Squirrel Brains, not meat.  May be weird to you either way but no need to be misleading.   Brains from any animal are risky.  Squirrel meat is, well, nutty.  In the delicious sense of the term.

4. Hadrian999 | Mar 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm |

squirrel is good if it is prepared correctly, squirrel stew is quite good

5. Haystack | Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42 am |

At least pigeons are still safe…

6. Apathesis | Mar 10, 2012 at 10:07 am |

I wouldn’t exactly call brains “meat.”  More irresponsible headlines on Disinfo…

7. OMG people of Kentucky, stop eating the squirrels.