Man Successfully Flies With Custom-Built Bird Wings

18 Comments on "Man Successfully Flies With Custom-Built Bird Wings"

1. I was preparing to have to say something cynical about not being able to take off the ground at all, or requiring rockets or something. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised. That was awesome.

2. Mr Willow | Mar 21, 2012 at 2:26 pm |

Posthumously vindicating aspiring 19th century aviators everywhere. . .

3. Howiedunnet | Mar 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

Not certain it’s not a hoax.

4. Investinourftre | Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

5. I really hope this isn’t fake because if its not its completely bad ass.

6. Looks like a hoax to me, fresh tire marks on the grass looks like he might have been towed.

7. I call hoax, show me a camera without the cut then we can talk

8. Monkey See Monkey Do | Mar 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm |

One of the coolest inventions i’ve seen in a while.

9. I’m willing to accept it at face value……incredibly awesome.

10. I take it back…I disbelieve….this is a hoax…bummer:

11. Ronniedobbs | Mar 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm |

i wonder if he crapped on anyone’s windshield

12. Simiantongue | Mar 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm |

I want to believe! It made me cry out in joy watching him take off from the ground, quite literally I did.  Very nice video, it made me feel giddy and light for a moment. But my damned analytical mind kicked in, I’m looking at the body mass and the area of the wings and I know something isn’t right. I was into paragliding, hang gliding, ultralights etc for some years as a hobby. It takes a larger wingspan just to glide down at a respectable speed. If you came down from any height on those you’d break your legs or worse.

Those wings look proportional to someone who has no knowledge of engineering. Especially if you look at birds, they look to have some of the same proportions of body size to wingspan. But there is a reason birds have hollow bones and even their musculature gives up some strength for weight considerations.

Would work in an environment with less gravity. I always thought that one big draw to a moon colony, for tourism purposes, would be a large dome structure where you could get wings like this and fly. Something you couldn’t do on Earth. Or perhaps a large open area on a space station with no gravity. Only very small wings would be needed. Zero gravity ballet will be beautiful. Doubt I’ll live long enough to see that, sad.

13. Selgnorts | Mar 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm |

Coolest thing however dosn’t it raise the possibility of someone training ducks to use shotguns?

14. PneumamuenP | Mar 22, 2012 at 4:52 am |

Right at takeoff you can see the special effects..   fake eee fake fraud.

15. Tchoutoye | Mar 22, 2012 at 5:25 pm |

The Flying Dutchman turns out to be a lying Dutchman. It’s a confirmed hoax. The maker of the wings and the film admitted so himself.

16. obviously A HOAX. You would have to flap you wings all the way up and all the way down instead of flapping like you have a seizure you fucktards.