Pat Robertson Wants to Legalize Pot

Pat PotHell has frozen over. Mike Riggs writes on Reason:

Pat Robertson, America’s longest-serving eschatological bigot and spiritual leader, took to the airwaves of the 700 Club last week and denounced the war on weed, as well as liberals, all of whom write laws in a “punitive spirit.” Putting aside the fact that Robertson has, on occasion, invited God to smite people people of abominable politics and preferences, this time he is making (some) sense:

We here in America make up 5% of the world’s population, but we make up 25% of jailed prisoners…

Every time the liberals pass a bill — I don’t care what it involves — they stick criminal sanctions on it. They don’t feel there is any way people are going to keep a law unless they can put them in jail.

I became sort of a hero of the hippie culture, I guess, when I said I think we ought to decriminalize the possession of marijuana.

I just think it’s shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of controlled substance. The whole thing is crazy.

Read More: Reason

16 Comments on "Pat Robertson Wants to Legalize Pot"

1. “Every time the liberals pass a bill — I don’t care what it involves — they stick criminal sanctions on it.”

“We’ve said, “we’re ‘conservative, we’re tough on crime.” That’s baloney. It’s costing us billions and billions of dollars …”

yeah, that makes sense, patty. just ‘fess up and say you want to smoke the dank recreationally like everyone else, because your political rhetoric’s a little hazy, ironically

• m1kesa1m0ns | Mar 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm |

this is a popular technique of authoritarians- repeat it often enough and it becomes true.

2. Everyone’s right occasionally.  This is one of his occasions.

• Ssachs9999 | Mar 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm |

Robert I’m with you…Just like a radio scanner hits a station now and then Roberson is right about this especially considering the $$$ spent on incarceration and enforcement.

3. m1kesa1m0ns | Mar 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm |

I love how he points out that, ultimately, liberalism is to blame for all of this. Just like Limbaugh blamed his naughty thoughts on liberals the other day.

4. KittyDelAmour | Mar 7, 2012 at 6:04 pm |

You’re not a hero of hippie culture, asshole. We might be stoned, but we still don’t like your hateful, bigoted ass.

5. Redacted | Mar 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm |

Pat Robertson will say anything to keep a steady stream of nubile young boys coming into his presence.

6. you spelled bologna wrong

7. Ssachs9999 | Mar 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm |

Just like a radio scanner hits a station now and then Roberson is right about this especially considering the $$$ spent on incarceration and enforcement. But all that stuff about being a hateful bigot…that’s true too.

8. DeepCough | Mar 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm |

Holy fuck, it really is the End Times. That or he is high himself.

9. Nixon and Reagan were liberals?

10. Oldhippie | Mar 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm |

Say all you want, but he is spot on this time. I don’t watch his show, and I am not a deeply religious person. What I do know is that if we legalized drugs, it would put a lot of crime, including the Mexican Cartels out of business. Sold like cigarettes, or booze for that matter, the taxes alone would be in the billions, instead of spending as much on the ” War on Drugs “. Yeah, that really worked. Any kid in the US can find pot within a couple of minutes if they want it. As far as that goes, I’d legalize all of them, tax “em all. And, NO, I do not do drugs, have no desire to do so, but am sick of seeing this country spend billions of dollars and putting kids in jail for possession of pot.