Collusion: Watch Yourself Being Tracked Online

Warning, the results of this may scare you — it might be better if you didn’t know. From Mozilla:

Collusion is an experimental add-on for Firefox and allows you to see all the third parties that are tracking your movements across the Web. It will show, in real time, how that data creates a spider-web of interaction between companies and other trackers.

tumblr_m1r4vwqEzi1qjjis9o1_500

16 Comments on "Collusion: Watch Yourself Being Tracked Online"

1. For me it’s currently showing links from disinfo.com to:
    voicefive.com
    amazonaws.com
    mediaplex.com
    33across.com, and to adnx.com
    quantserv.com
    oreck.com

• I wonder what’ll happen when I put some of these into my hosts file.

• That is a weird statement Andrew. I don’t think it really changes anything. It will only mean there’ll always be a direct connection to those sites, if you put them into your hosts file. Honestly, I really don’t see a difference. Now, if you let down all your firewalls AND put them in your hosts file, different story. As firewalls aren’t naturally geared to allow items from your host file. They’ll even block host file allows.

• Disinfo_censors_dissent | Apr 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm |

See, it’s bad only when corporations like Google or Apple tracks and sells your info.

When Disinfo tracks and sells your info, it’s totally different. TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Nothing to see, citizen. No double-standard. Move along, please.

• I just can’t understand why you’re not on the standup circuit.

• Disinfo_censors_dissent_DUMB | Apr 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm |

For someone who loves capitalism, you sure do need to learn a lot more about business. I pray you are not pursuing an MBA, your grades probably suck.

Because, you know, anonymous handles in comments (like the one you have) is just the sort of information that advertisers pay a premium for. Gee, so much information must have be collected in order to set up a troll comment account …

2. Jesus Borg | Apr 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm |

I just downloaded it and went back here and its clicking like a mofo!

3. FusionSaint | Apr 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm |

I went through all of my most visited sites, by far the worst was http://www.cracked.com They had almost double the outside connections of every other site. Unsurprisingly, http://www.evil.com had the least.

4. I’m running another applet that shows 14 networks would be tracking me ON THIS SITE if it weren’t blocking them. DoNotTrack for Chrome (Linux).

5. Nunzio X | Apr 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm |

Might I recommend GHOSTERY and  DO NOT TRACK PLUS?

Nice little plug-ins, those.

•  I’m a big fan of noscript personally. Plugin for Firefox. I tested it out on this and the difference is dramatic.

6. common guys the ford foundation ???

7. DeepCough | Apr 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm |

Privacy Guardian ™ is your friend. Download it and use it religiously.

8. GoodDoktorBad | Apr 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

Oh what a tangled web is woven…..