Fukushima Radiation Moving Steadily Across Pacific

Radiation SpreadVia Common Dreams:

Teams of scientists have already found debris and levels of radiation far off the coast of Japan, one year after the nuclear disaster at Fukushima. Reports are now suggesting that nuclear radiation has traveled at a steady pace. That contaminated debris and marine life could reach the US coast as soon as one year from now, depending on ocean currents.

Radiation from Fukushima’s nuclear disaster is appearing in concentrated levels in sea creatures and ocean water up to 186 miles off of the coast of Japan. The levels of radiation are ‘hundreds to thousands of times higher than would be expected naturally’ according to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI). Researchers are questioning how the radioactive accumulation on the seafloor will effect the marine ecosystem in the future.

“What this means for the marine environment of the Northwest Pacific over the long term is something that we need to keep our eyes on,” said the WHOI.

Read more here.

13 Comments on "Fukushima Radiation Moving Steadily Across Pacific"

1. Redacted | Apr 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

Northwest Pacific”

Shit!

2. Monkey See Monkey Do | Apr 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm |

Disgusting! Everytime something like this happens I blame everyone who is pro-nuclear power.

• MoralDrift | Apr 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm |

There is a difference between being pro-nuclear and being pro-1950’s era Nuke tech built in an earthquake/tsunami zone…. If your gonna build it in a dangerous area you need safer tech.

Every time I hear about carbon emissions I point to anti-nuclear people

3. Mamagriff50 | Apr 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

This article seems to be downplaying the disaster..( Common Dreams), who are they. I sure don’t want to live on or near the west coast. I have already pretty much quit eating all sea food for a while. This can’t be good. But our government will tell you otherwise. (Don’t want to create panic or economic stress, now do we.)

4. the pacific is now dead to me. fucking horrible.

5. no matter what the radiation effects have on Americans
    we can all sleep better knowing
    that American corporations profited from this
    because corporate profits are all that matters in America

6. Tio Holtzman | Apr 8, 2012 at 1:39 am |

I’m sure all this fear of radiation is gonna blow over.

7. Billybee | Apr 8, 2012 at 7:48 am |

I blame the nuclear family of the ’50s

8. Is this worth nuclear power? HELL NO!  Enter renewable energy.. save the Earth.