Ohio School Bans ‘Jesus Is Not a Homophobe’ Shirt, Gets Sued

Jesus Is Not A HomophobeMichael Allen writes on Opposing Views:

Waynesville High School in Waynesville, Ohio, threatened to suspend a student for wearing a shirt that said ‘Jesus Is Not a Homophobe,’ according to Lambda Legal, which filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against the school on his behalf.

Last April, Maverick Couch, a gay junior, wore the shirt during the National Day of Silence, which is meant to raise awareness to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.

Couch said: “I’ve been bullied and called names, I wanted to wear the T-shirt to encourage respect for all students, gay or straight. I wish my school would help me create an accepting environment for LGBT kids, not single me out for punishment.”

However, school officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature” and told Couch to turn his shirt inside out, which he did.

Read More: Opposing Views

20 Comments on "Ohio School Bans ‘Jesus Is Not a Homophobe’ Shirt, Gets Sued"

1. Leachpunk | Apr 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm |

I’m tired of pencils. They can be used as sexual pleasure devices and they look like a pencil thin penis. Please end the use of pencils and writing instruments in general in the school, it can raise sexual arousal.

• Adamsshadow | Apr 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm |

I am also tired of looking at flowers – they are arousing, as they remind me of vaginas. Particularly irises.

2. My friend used to wear a dirty shirt with a picture of Jesus on it that he’d cut the eyes out of to school, never got a word from the teachers.

3. jesus is too sexy for that shirt.

4. Kids at my school wore black Bart Simpson T’s.  Unfortunately school hasn’t become about teaching anymore as it is some big political circus.  When the teachers union said they wouldn’t pass out scholarship application to kids in class because it wasn’t in their contract WTF!   But then again just as the world changed after 9/11 so did it change after Columbine.  The kids these days aren’t going to school they are going to World of Warcraft.  What if the T-shirt did incite some kid who has had the bible beat into him then ya’ll would be saying why did you let that kid wear that.  Maybe uniforms aren’t such a bad idea!

• Jin The Ninja | Apr 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm |

although i’m very much an anarchist in most things, i have only high praise for school unis, and wore one (of several) myself for my primary and secondary school career.

• Yo' Mama | Apr 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm |

^^^Well, that made about as much sense as a submarine with screen doors… Just sayin’.

5. I’m not surprised they would get sue. It’s not like the shirt is slander or offensive.

6. DeepCough | Apr 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm |

They just don’t want students to know the truth (i.e. Jesus had no real opinion on homosexuality, unlike
    the Old Testament).

7. Actually, the Jesus written about in the New Testament was a practicing Jew. His followers address him as rabbi. Matt 5:18-20  “I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved. So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. But I warn you—unless your righteousness is better than the righteousness of the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven!”
    This of course means that Jesus would’ve expected his followers to follow Moses’ law regarding homosexuality. By, all means, reject these superstitions, dogmas and beliefs. But stop making nonsensical arguments and statements that only prove that you don’t know their religion.

• Liam_McGonagle | Apr 5, 2012 at 11:36 am |

You do have to admit, though, there is something a little “off” about an unmarried fellow with long hair who traipses about town in the company of thieves and whores, wearing nightgowns and prattling on about “Love”.  Doesn’t exactly qualify him as a centrist candidate for a position on the board of the local synagogue.

And that “Let ye that are without sin cast the first stone” stuff?  He was clearly not a literalist with regard to Leviticus.  Attempts to make Jesus into some kind of jackboot wearing, goose stepping obersturmfuhrer are a little wide of the mark.

• DeepCough | Apr 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm |

Let’s not forget that the Nazis, past and present, were predominantly Christian.

• Liam_McGonagle | Apr 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

Southern bits of Germany, in particular (i.e., the backward, rural, and Catholic bits).

But I see it more as a function of the acritical acceptance of hierarchy, rather than the particular bits of theology, which on their own merits may have both things to recommend them or condemn them.

The vast majority of people calling themselves “Christian” don’t have a friggin’ clue what they’re really talking about.  Same with Buddhists, Jewish people, Hindus, Muslims, etc., etc.

The coincidence of Nazism and Catholicism shouldn’t lead us to believe that they are directly, genetically related.  That corelation has to do with the complex interaction of local populist and internationalist trends of 17th century European power struggles, largely determined by economic geography.

Everyone kinglet or Gross Herzog in post-medieval Europe wanted to be the one to call the shots.  Those bits of Europe more conducive to high-yield tillage agriculture and market economies (i.e., northern Germany) were inclined to tell Rome to f*ck off–they could do well enough on their own, thank you.

But the poorer bits, inconveniently hemmed in by mountains, etc., naturally became frightened of the aggression of their richer neighbors and decided that “The Devil You Know” is more acceptable than the one you don’t–and more often threw in their lot with an international mediator accordingly.  Their relatively poorer situation inclined them more towards obediance than rebellion.

That’s a very broad generalization, as Germany was peppered with all sorts of odd Catholic or Protestant enclaves in order to accomdate a reasonable local balance of power.  But in the main it’s true.

That is certainly the only reason the Irish are overwhelmingly Catholic today.  When the Reformation began, there was hardly a less orthodox country anywhere in Europe.  Priests were marrying, having kids, handing down church property to their heirs, all fully condoned by local elites and society at large.  If you were looking for THE candidate for the first Protestant nation in western Europe in the 16th century, it’d have been Ireland.

But the wider economic and geopolitical situation militated against it.  England adopted Protestantism first, initially as a thin, non-ideological cover for Henry VIII’s personal dynastic ambitions, but gradually becoming more radical.  So radical that eventually the only way Irish Nationalism could maintain itself as a viable force was to seek the assistance of ultra-Catholic Spain and France.

There’s a corelation between religion and politics, and they’re by no means ideologically unrelated.  But I always look to regional economics and power struggles as the first and most important factors.

8. Actually, yeah, he was. The bible pretty much implicitly states as much.

• Redacted | Apr 5, 2012 at 7:47 am |

I prefer to think of Jesus as an ideal Person. I do not think he is divine, but he spoke of acceptance, and we can use more of that.

He is only what he said he is. Which is what we say He is.

• Liam_McGonagle | Apr 5, 2012 at 7:05 pm |

Reminds me of a consultant I was assigned to work with years ago.  A very enthusiastic proseltyzing man.  And clearly a closested homosexual.

He didn’t really come off mean spirited, just a little over-enthusiastic.  Maybe business culture is a little more accepting of this sort of thing down in the Southern states, but he dove into the topic of religion early with a gusto I don’t think I’d ever experienced with any Yankee.  I think it may be like a business networking thing down there to exchange visits to one another’s Sunday services.

Didn’t I think homosexuality was an unbearable affliction upon its sufferers?  And wasn’t Calvin’s doctrine of Predestination just inspired genious for arbitrarily lumping people into categories of immutably “clean” and irredeemably “unclean”, regardless of their individual deeds or efforts?

I thought this was the most half-*rsed triped I’d ever heard, but I tried not to lay the hammer down too hard.  All I’d say was that I thought Jesus’ teachings were the most remarkable part of his ministry. I didn’t spend much time expounding on the Marvel Comic theatrical legends spread about him after he’d passed on.

This fellah, this consultant had a manner of speech characterized by a type of desperate sincerity, as if he was working even harder to convince himself than to convince me.  And this sort of talk was still miles more interesting than some clerical drone blathering on about office politics. So I wasn’t inclined to be super combative with him.

And I felt kind of sorry for the guy, too.  He was an opera lover.  Continually had some playing in the background of his cube.  And photos of an enormous wife who probably had to be packed into her dresses every morning like stuffing a sausage casing.  Clearly he was compensating just a little too hard, if you know what I mean.

• VaudeVillain | Apr 5, 2012 at 2:16 pm |

Please point me to the verse in which Jesus reveals his disgust, dislike, disdain, disapproval or displeasure with homosexuals, noting that they are in any way different from or unique to every other imperfect person. I’m very excited to see it, since that would pretty much resolve the question of whether Christians have any clear theological reason to be homophobes.

9. This student was a victim of bigotry and felt he needed to do something.  He should be commended.  He was brave and did something good.

10. Jesus Is Fictional | Apr 6, 2012 at 1:07 am |

it shoulda said “jesus is not a homophobe, he loves big black cock”

11. Established Poster | May 24, 2012 at 8:33 am |

Jesus was accepting of people, not like those idiots who were giving this kid a hard time, they deserve to be isolated, humiliated and exiled from society for not being accepting.