Police Can Copy Your Cell Phone’s Contents In Under Two Minutes

Cellebrite UFEDMatt Brian writes on The Next Web:

It has emerged that Michigan State Police have been using a high-tech mobile forensics device that can extract information from over 3,000 models of mobile phone, potentially grabbing all media content from your iPhone in under two minutes.

The CelleBrite UFED is a handheld device that Michigan officers have been using since August 2008 to copy information from mobile phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The device can circumvent password restrictions and extract existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags.

In short, it can copy everything on your smartphone in a matter of minutes.

Learning that the police had been using mobile forensic devices, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has issued freedom of information requests which demand that state officials open up the data collected, to better assess if penalised motorists warrant having their data copied…

Read More: The Next Web

18 Comments on "Police Can Copy Your Cell Phone’s Contents In Under Two Minutes"

1. Lizard_eater | Apr 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm |

if I wasn’t so busy using my phone to tweet about a nasty canker sore, I’d be totally outraged by this outrageous invasion of my civil rights.

2. This is old news.

• chinagreenelvis | Apr 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

I didn’t know about it.

•  It came out about one year ago.

• John Smith | Apr 8, 2012 at 12:19 am |

Well, it’s not old news to those who haven’t been informed about this yet.

• chinagreenelvis | Apr 8, 2012 at 1:50 am |

I guess there is something to be said about Disinfo posting things from the past. I know when I read something I’d heard about before, I have a moment of “Well, look who just got on the train.” Perhaps the articles should be screened for time-sensitivity and appropriate indications made as such. However, I doubt very much the site has anything resembling an editorial staff.

3. Well I’ve no idea how cellphones work but it seems you could just add some kind of encryption If your phone’s any good.

4. I’m so old that I remember when there was a 4th amendment
    this was before the US became a full-on police state
    when the right of the people to be secure in their persons,
    houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures
    was a right

• Eric_D_Read | Apr 10, 2012 at 10:34 am |

The question is, in retrospect, do you really think it used to be that way as a matter of principle or because police state control junkies simply didn’t have the means for this level of surveillance?
      I’m thinking the latter is more likely.

5. This technology has been out and been reported on for some time.

Hopefully long enough for Anonymous to RE the device and whip up some sort of code that will brick it when it gets pulled off your smartphone.

• Nice.

Apparently there are some ways to block the Cellbrite, but I was hoping that there was something that would break the Cellbrite.
        Or maybe perform an SQL attack on the database that the stolen data is eventually dumped into.

6. If they see my cleavage shot will that get me out of a ticket wink wink

7. -nightman- | Apr 8, 2012 at 9:15 am |

this is a direct violation of the constitution. but unfortunately, its not the federal government doing it, its the state of michigan. nothing anyone can do about it, accept maybe petition their state government to stop being fascists.

8. My cell is 8 years old and the circuit board jack at the bottom is broken.  Is it a crime if they are unable to copy my phone’s contents?

9. This is ridiculous. They’re invading one’s privacy. I couldn’t agree to this. Hope this won’t be implemented in our state.  http://www.cpr-tampabay.com