Did Germany Launch A Manned Rocket Into Space In 1933?

medium2Could there be any truth to tales of early space travel success in 1930s Germany? Just imagine how different the World War II outcome could have been had it involved Astro-Nazis. Via io9:

On October 29, 1933, the London Sunday Referee published a report from Rugen, an island in the Baltic Sea, just off the coast of Germany. Someone named Otto Fischer had flown inside a 24-foot steel rocket, to an altitude of six miles. Were the Germans really testing out a rocket that could carry people, nearly three decades before Yuri Gagarin?

Reports said that Otto was the brother of the rocket’s designer, Bruno Fischer. The flight had been made in total secrecy because of a fatal attempt at a launch the previous year, combined with the fact that the flight had been made under the auspices of the Reichswehr, the German War Ministry.

“It was a tremendous sensation,” Fischer reported. “When the rocket left the ground I was conscious of a deafening roar and an unbearable weight seemed to be crushing me against the floor of the rocket. Then I lost consciousness for a moment, due to the tremendous acceleration which drained the blood from my head. When I came to my senses and looked at the altimeter before my face it flickered at 32,000 feet and then began to drop rapidly. I had completed my climb and was descending. . .”

14 Comments on "Did Germany Launch A Manned Rocket Into Space In 1933?"

1. Anarchy Pony | May 19, 2012 at 11:41 am |

Well duh! Don’t you guys know? There are whole battalions of UFO driving Nazis on the dark side of the moon! Soon they will launch their counter attack with their advanced weaponry to begin the fourth Reich!

• It’s already begun, but they changed the name from the fourth Riech to America- Which is moonlandish for “Kill everyone who isn’t one of us and if we can’t kill them we’ll destroy their economies even if they’re our ally!”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself =)

•  I was just going to say that. I dont know if Anarchy Pony is being sarcastic (was that sarcastic in itself?) but the fourth reich is well underway…WELL UNDERWAY..and its called corporate America.

Scarry to see where all the brilliant minds went after WWII. Once you do find out where they went, the sense that we may have won the battle, but not the way, comes to mind.

•  that is the brilliant minds of nazi germany, and we may have won the battle, but not the war :p

• Anarchy Pony | May 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm |

Well mostly I was referencing the silly but awesome film Iron Skies.

• lol Anarchy Pony is a GC, he knows what’s up. Yes corporate America is what my people are trying to fight against…. Did fascism lose in WW2? No way. Is it redefined in corporate America? Without a doubt. Don’t get me wrong, I love Americans, every American I’ve met have been fantastic so the blame can’t be moved to the people (same could be said for nazi Germany I’m sure) but what can the people do?

• Calypso_1 | May 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm |

Don’t forget the legions of yeti/aryan super-soldier hybrids with cloned Führer brains amassed around Agartha.

2. Actually they are at the center of the Earth, creating Nazi zombies and are being led by Jake Busey,

3. David Scroggins | May 20, 2012 at 1:23 am |

um, really, disinfo, would it kill you to just stick to websites that aren’t obviously fake? even if this is true, the guy went six miles in the air. if six miles is “space,” then i take a space flight every time i fly from chicago to my home in kansas city. *smh* please, please tell me you posted this as a joke?

• JohnFrancisBittrich | May 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm |

There was a quote in the intro to disinfo’s old TV show. Something like “if you’re not wondering if we made half this stuff up, we’re not doing our job right.” Active reading and critical thinking are encouraged here, not just blind acceptance of facts. If you want dry, straghtforward political news there are other sites for that.

• JohnFrancisBittrich | May 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm |

additionally, io9 is not a “fake website” any more than this one is.

4. Disinfo Censors Dissent | May 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm |

did Nazis have a space program?

Why not ask the aliens who contact you in the dreamworld. They’ll have the correct answer.

Obviously.