Possible New Evidence That Earth Is A Giant Living Organism

5052744538_bede3ddbdb_nIf planet Earth, on a macro level, really is a being called Gaia that is functionally alive, then I hope I’m not standing on an uncomfortable spot. Via Junk Science:

Is Earth really a sort of giant living organism as the Gaia hypothesis predicts? A new discovery may provide a key to answering this question. This key of sulfur could allow scientists to unlock heretofore hidden interactions between ocean organisms, atmosphere, and land — interactions that might provide evidence supporting this famous theory.

The Gaia hypothesis — first articulated by James Lovelock and Lynn Margulis in the 1970s — holds that Earth’s physical and biological processes are inextricably connected to form a self-regulating, essentially sentient, system.

Newly published work done at the University of Maryland provides a tool for tracing and measuring the movement of sulfur through ocean organisms, the atmosphere and the land in ways that may help prove or disprove the controversial Gaia theory.

12 Comments on "Possible New Evidence That Earth Is A Giant Living Organism"

1. teachpeace | May 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm |

With this way of thinking, there is hope.

2. The only thing to get is money | May 21, 2012 at 7:07 pm |

I think that the planet is a host for life, but it itself is not alive. I’m not sure

3. “Via Junk Science:” That about sums it up.

• Makemyday | May 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm |

as if you understand what life is… its a theory, not fact, its supposed to make you ponder and analyse before coming to a conclusion. You make junk posts

4. Established Poster | May 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm |

I will ignore that fact that all of us are out of our depth on this topic, all of you please do the same.

I will attempt to appear hesitant to agree and offer a critique of the major points here.  It is important to note that there are some things I agree with in this article.  The thing I take issue with is how the   originators of this material do not share the high standard that I have for evidence and are most likely not as logical as I am.  Right guys?

5. DeepCough | May 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm |

The Earth is more of an organic system than a living organism.

6. Tree’s support life with multiple organisms both living and feeding off of it; so too is the human body a host for a variety of organisms. From a purely logical standpoint, facts such as these would lend credence to the idea that the planet is also alive.

Sentience is another matter. No one would argue that a tree is alive but whether it’s sentient is up for debate; same too with the planet. However also consider the idea of the ‘dead planet’, devoid of life…

Food for thought.

7. MoralDrift | May 22, 2012 at 1:54 am |

i don’t think this is true, but it is a valuable way to perceive the world as an interconnected whole

8. who didn’t know this?

9. Shadocat16 | May 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm |

That is why earth is off on it’s own. The other planets don’t want to catch her case of “humans”.

10. kowalityjesus | May 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm |

Poignantly, I recently learned that when scientists wanted to carbon date natural gas found in the midwest, they expected to get readings of 100-150 million years, but the average was about 20,000.  Why?  Because the earth “breathes” (to anthropomorphize): when a high pressure system moves over air enters the ground, vice versa.

Awww, humanity was so well prepared for by the Lord.  God made such a cute earth. Yay, earth