Quebec: The Empire Strikes Back

MontrealZig Zag writes on the Vancouver Media Co-Op:

Provincial and city governments in Quebec are resorting to repressive new laws in an effort to defeat the student mobilization, which has rocked that province for the past three months. Faced with strong and militant resistance by thousands in the streets, on May 18 Montreal passed a by-law banning the wearing of masks during protests. If convicted, people could be fined $3,000. This comes as the federal government prepares to amend the Criminal Code making it an offense to wear a mask during a riot or unlawful assembly (Bill C-306), with a maximum 10 year prison sentence if convicted.

On the same day as Montreal passed its anti-masking by-law, the Quebec government passed emergency legislation aimed directly at the student mobilization but affecting civil rights in general, “Bill 78: A Law Allowing Students to Receive the Education Provided by the School Which They Attend.” It contains 36 articles, which lawyers, professors, and others have described as “draconian” and similar to the 1970 War Measures Act (when martial law was declared). Several of these articles are raising concerns due to their restrictions on public assembly and protests (and not just those of students), including…

Read More: Vancouver Media Co-Op

, , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Quebec: The Empire Strikes Back

1. Apathesis May 22, 2012 at 6:56 am #

This is what happens when everyone is forced to be part of a system that many of them disagree with.  Why are we allowing ourselves to be bullied?  There’s more of US than THEM.

• krisfehr13 May 22, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

They have more fire power.

2. robertpinkerton May 22, 2012 at 7:32 am #

Just what is so wrong with anti-masking laws? Masking one’s face at a political demonstration is morally equal to the act of a police officer removing his or her numerically-identifying badge: Both are declarations of intent to engage in unlawful activity. If anything, the fact of the perpetrator (of an offense) being masked while committing the offense, should be considered an aggravating factor, meriting a sentence enhancement.

• Rickenbacker4001 May 22, 2012 at 8:29 am #

What if you mask yourself to prevent tear gas and pepper spray? Getting a police canister in the face ruins your day. If I wear a bandana around my neck, is that intent?

• Calypso_1 May 22, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Why if you try to prevent yourself from being tear gassed then you are obstructing justice.

• Ceausescu May 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

Lol’ed

• DeepCough May 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Why is it okay for undercover cops to not declare themselves as law enforcement?

3. Okarin May 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

i’m rooting for the students, they’re willing to stand up against the system though they’ll ill educated for more effective change. i took a different route. the student action we had here about tuition rates was more about people who wanted to better themselves by learning how to start and run charity programs that’ll hopefully lead to networking with the rich and so they can solve their end of the tuition problem. the rest are taught to look at your feet or they’ll abuse their teaching position against you

4. Roast Pig May 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

It’s Canada, who cares..

• Jin The Ninja May 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

our policies are directly influenced by yours, particularly pertaining to our neo-conservative petro-oligarch gov’t. i’m sure you’d rather be ignorant of the effects of petro-imperialism on other countries, but unfortuntely the rest of us, do not have that luxury.

• Roast Pig May 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

I was just trolling Jin. I understand, to some extent, the complexity of our intertwined governments.

Just wanted to be a wise ass. ;-)

• Jin The Ninja May 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

lol. no harm then, i apologise. i can’t always tell on these boards.

• jay May 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

” America … lol ” – the entire world 2012

5. Established Poster May 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

I defend those students because, well, we both hate gov’t.  Let’s all ignore that glaring fact that they are actually doing something and are at risk while we safely hide here with each other.  Just to feel connected to them in some way that they will never know (because they don’t live on this site) I am wearing a mask while I type this.

• Established Poster May 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

I am a big stupid troll who has nothing better to do than bother people on this site.

• Established Poster May 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I am, so what you gonna do about it?

• Established Poster May 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

I can’t help myself, I have no life and I visit Disinfo because no one loves me. I am a big stupid troll who has no friends. I actually have never been away from my computer. I don’t know what the sun looks like. But it makes me feel better about myself to come here and try to tear down everyone else.

• DeepCough May 22, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

So you come here ’cause you got kicked outta group therapy? Damn, you got more issues than a Korn album.