The Dictator Punks Washington

Photo: Republic of Wadiya

Photo: Republic of Wadiya

Why are comedians the only people brave (or stupid?) enough to stick it to the politicos in Washington, D.C.? Sacha Baron-Cohen’s latest stunt is reported by Al Kamen in the Washington Post:

Invitations have been arriving in mailboxes around Washington for an event that might raise eyebrows even in this invite-overloaded town.

Below an image of the flag of Zimbabwe, the script on the thick-stock paper reads: “President Robert Mugabe and the Ministry of Education, Sport, Art, and Culture invite you to the Premiere of The Dictator.”

That’s the new Sacha Baron Cohen movie in which the funnyman portrays a despot who rules over the fictional African nation of Wadiya. The name alone probably raised a red flag for savvy recipients, who recalled Cohen’s previous antics: He attempted to seduce Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) in the movie “Bruno,” and fed cheese to former Rep. Bob Barr — and later informed the Georgia Republican it was made from breast milk — in “Borat”.

The movie screening purportedly takes place at the Presidential Residence in Zimbabwe on May 12. Realistic specifics, like a note at the bottom directing attendees to to “the Southeast Entrance” of the residence, might convince recipients that it’s a bona fide event.

We called the number provided, and actually reached Zimbabwe’s art ministry…

[continues in the Washington Post]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

7 Comments on "The Dictator Punks Washington"

1. Liam_McGonagle | May 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm |

What is it about dictators that they all dress like pimped out hotel concierges?

2. Camron Wiltshire | May 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm |

Zionist propaganda.  It’s too bad.  I thought Sacha Baron was funny until he went all Kramer with this thinly veiled muslim hating “comedy”.

• NarwhalNecropsy | May 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm |

You have trouble reading between the lines, bravo.

• Super Goyim | May 10, 2012 at 5:13 am |

Please humble me and present your understanding of the lines I’m apparently misinterpreting…. perhaps the subtlety of presenting stereotypes of world leaders who do not agree with the policy of continued genocide and occupation of palestinians by the people of Isis Ra El was somehow lost on me.  Please clarify your position…

• NarwhalNecropsy | May 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm |

Explain one thing to me; if this is Zionist propaganda, then what is Borat? Or Bruno? Or even Ali G for that matter?

• Super Goyim | May 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm |

Red herring, why don’t you tell me why I’m not reading between the lines first?  You threw it out there, back it up.  Also I am not talking about Bruno or Borat.  I’m talking about “The Dictator.”

3. tonyviner | May 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm |

I’ll watch it, but it will be hard to top Bruno and Borat. The commercials give the impression that he’s kinda gone back to the well as far as Middle Eastern or Central Asian humor goes, but I’ll give it a shot.