TV Ad Campaign: Weed Is Safer Than Booze

Rocky Mountain HighAn obvious message to some, perhaps, but there are still those who need help believing that reefer madness is a myth. Tricia Escobedo and Jim Spellman report for CNN:

A Colorado advocacy group is spending thousands of dollars to convince people that smoking pot is safer than drinking alcohol. It’s an attempt by the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol to rally support for a vote in November that would legalize the drug for recreational use. Colorado legalized marijuana for medical use in 2000.

Last Friday, the group aired an advertisement on a local Denver channel during daytime programming encouraging people to “start your conversation about marijuana.” The 30-second spot features a young woman typing a message to her mother on her laptop, explaining that after spending her college years drinking heavily, she now prefers marijuana because “it’s less harmful … I don’t get hung-over and honestly I feel safer around marijuana users.” The marketing campaign aims to “break down the stereotype about who the typical marijuana user is,” explained the campaign’s co-director, Mason Tvert.

“Most of them are professional, hard-working people,” he said…

[continues at CNN]

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to TV Ad Campaign: Weed Is Safer Than Booze

1. Love-420 May 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

We have to get rid of our criminal government before we can have sane marijuana laws. Until then, I’ll break the law and I don’t really give a fuck.

Deaths per year from drugs in America:

Prescription Drugs – 800,000 Deaths
    Tobacco – 400,000 Deaths
    Alcohol – 100,000 Deaths
    Caffeine – 5,000 Deaths
    Heroin – 2,000 Deaths
    Cocaine – 2,000 Deaths
    Aspirin – 500 Deaths

MARIJUANA – 0 Deaths! (This trend goes back about 10,000 years)

• gone de May 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Criminal government ! You got that one right…. Eric Holder is the head law man in USA and he sold 2000+ guns (AK47) to the Drug Cartels. Anyone can search Fast and Furious and see whats going on in the DOJ  Now were should I plant these seeds at ? LOL

2. Tio Holtzman May 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Don’t people realize that it is a gateway drug? A GATEWAY TO AWESOMENESS!

3. mole_face May 17, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Imagine how easily alcohol could be demonized if you attacked it with War on Drugs-style PSAs.

You could point out that the drug is implicated in a large percentage of violent crimes. You could show dramatized footage of booze junkies waking up shaking, and point out that the stuff’s neurotoxic and destroys your appearance and internal organs with chronic use. You could point out that autopsies of alcoholics show that their brains have basically been turned to mush. You could also very easily make the “gateway drug” argument, since a large percentage of hard drug users use alcohol early on and continue to use it alongside their other drugs of choice.

• moongrim69 May 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

You’ll also notice that every single person in prison is addicted to oxygen too!

• ConcernedCitizen May 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Someone should do something!

4. Okarin May 18, 2012 at 2:46 am #

unfortunately people are too drunk to realize that XD

5. DurbanPoison May 18, 2012 at 9:34 am #

I have never met someone who truly believes marijuana is harmful. Some will admit they just “do not know” but nobody actually believes it’s really dangerous. I can smoke weed all day long and still preform my daily tasks with a smile :-) And the next day I’ll wake up happy, without a hangover!  It’s by far the safest drug on the planet, if you even consider it a drug. Comparing the safeness of alcohol to weed is like comparing cyanide to an apple. Also, comparing smoking tobacco to smoking weed is wrong. Smoking weed can reduce your chances of cancer and will NOT harm your lungs! Tobacco will cause cancer and ruin your lungs. Weed also reduces your chances of heart disease and Alzheimer’s.

I guess what i’m trying to point out is that weed is more than just safe, it’s medically helpful.

Did I mention it grows on trees!

• Mattybenjamin May 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

These facts for real?? Like we would ever hear that in the main indoctrinating news broadcasts so where the facts on the above? (: just quit cos my girl having ababy n it makes me lazy so not all good is it?? Or is that because what we get in the Uk is scandolos shit!

• DurbanPoison May 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Just like any complex substance, the mixture of CBD vs THC and other molecules can vary from plant to plant. So each strain or individual plant can have different effects on each person. A strong sativa will give you more of a head high but a strong indica will give you more body. It all depends.. If you are having a baby and you want to think with a clearer head than by all means don’t smoke. That laziness you feel could defiantly be coming from bad tree though. I don’t get that feeling with most of the strains I smoke.. Skunks and purples will usually leave you feeling tired or lethargic for the day. I found a lot of that in the UK when I was there.

And yes, those facts were not just pulled out of my ass. I have been researching the effects of marijuana for many years and there is a ton of legitimate research that shows everything I said is indeed true.

Good Luck with your future son or daughter!

6. RaXmrocha May 18, 2012 at 9:52 am #

How is it not safer?

• Shamefull May 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Exactly!

7. moongrim69 May 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I’ve met many a mean drunk.  But I’ve yet to meet a mean pot head…

8. Wake Up May 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Lol, so many comments pro drug.  So happy to be slaves to their drug dealers.

• Adamsshadow May 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Like your addiction to media?  You are, after all, participating in the spectacle yourself.

• Wake Up May 20, 2012 at 1:01 am #

Don’t worry addict, you’ll get your drugs legal or illegal.  I am not participating in the narcotic spectacle, thank you.  Media is not the same as narcotics, but I guess you don’t know the difference do you?  I guess you’ll compare it to food and air as well, eh?  Seems to me, you have alot more addictions than I do.  Deal with it addict.

• Shamefull May 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

AHHHH HA HA HA HA LMAO HAHA!  This is so priceless..  What are you like 10 years old?  Did you just get out of DARE class?  I’m going to show your comment to all the intelligent people at my work so they can get as good a laugh as I did.

”I guess you’ll compare it to food and air as well, eh?  Seems to me, you have alot more addictions than I do.  Deal with it addict.”

Marijuana is an edible plant you know, very nutritious. Some might even call it, food! Didn’t teach you that in DARE class I bet. Your right about one thing though, we are all addicts, addicted to food, air and water! Oh no! And for the record, THC (the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana) is non-addicting. Which is actually one of the main reasons why people love it so much. That and the fact that it’s not harmful to your body like narcotics are.

• Adamsshadow May 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Classy response – hit a nerve did I?  And what addictions do I have?  You must know.

And media is not the same as narcotics?  Of course not, there’s no evidence for that at all:

You are no better than any of the pot-smoking “addicts” you rail against; deal with it, addict.

• Wake Up May 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

You hit a nerve?  Seems to me I have hit two nerves here, LOL!  It is an addiction since you can’t seem to stop.  You want to even eat it like salad, what idiots.  It’s not addicting but you guys will never stop will you?

Don’t worry fools, it’ll be legalized very soon.  Yet another thing that will enslave you.  The Government will want money for your addiction and you will pay heavy for it.  Don’t be fooled in to believing the smoke will do you no harm.  Your lungs weren’t designed for a smoke atmosphere.

You can also show this to your “intellegent people” at work.  Foolish you are.

• gone de May 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Sense you disagree with legalizing pot, Then you won’t mind picking up the bills for the hundreds of thousands prisoners across the USA for pot charges will you ?  Thank you :-)

• GroWitGooD May 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

I grow my own marijuana, right next to my tomatoes because they are both PLANTS! Which if you consider marijuana a drug, would make everyone else a slave to me, using your logic right? Are they also a slave when they buy my tomatoes? I do grow the best tomatoes around..
      There is so many more comments against drugs here. I see lots of people promoting the use of a naturally growing plant over the use of harmful drugs. Did you actually read any of the comments? Or is your name “Wake Up” because you just woke up and forgot to wipe the crusties out of your eyes?*Ding dong*  I have to go, someone is at the door. Maybe it’s a slave looking for their next fix of tomatoes… We know people need there antioxidants!
      Peace & Love.

9. general hydroponics June 14, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Happy Realization!!! Of course, weed is safer than alcohol.

For a start, alcohol consumption has countless number of deaths filed under it. But, Medical Marijuana not even one yet.

Most importantly, Alcohol consumption leads to cancer, but, medical marijuana helps in healing cancer. The perfect example to prove this point would be the 74 years old comedian-actor and marijuana activist Tommy Chong, renowned as the laid back stoner in Cheech and Chong movies is suffering from prostate cancer. And, he reveals that he is using hemp-oil (medical marijuana) for healing purposes. Hard to believe? Check this out: http://bigbudsmag.com/news/article/tommy-chong-marijuana-prostate-cancer-cheech-battle