Lauryn Hill Versus The Military-Industrial Complex

Lauryn Hill. Photo: Lisa Liang (CC)

Well what do you think, will Lauryn Hill fare better against the tax evasion charges she faces than Wesley Snipes did? Ms. Hill explains her position on her Tumblr:

For the past several years, I have remained what others would consider underground. I did this in order to build a community of people, like-minded in their desire for freedom and the right to pursue their goals and lives without being manipulated and controlled by a media protected military industrial complex with a completely different agenda. Having put the lives and needs of other people before my own for multiple years, and having made hundreds of millions of dollars for certain institutions, under complex and sometimes severe circumstances, I began to require growth and more equitable treatment, but was met with resistance. I entered into my craft full of optimism (which I still possess), but immediately saw the suppressive force with which the system attempts to maintain it’s control over a given paradigm. I’ve seen people promote addiction, use sabotage, black listing, media bullying and any other coercion technique they could, to prevent artists from knowing their true value, or exercising their full power. These devices of control, no matter how well intentioned (or not), can have a devastating outcome on the lives of people, especially creative types who must grow and exist within a certain environment and according to a certain pace, in order to live and create optimally…

[Read the rest of her statement at her Tumblr]

, , , ,

11 Responses to Lauryn Hill Versus The Military-Industrial Complex

1. The only thing to get is money June 11, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Just another revoltee to be soon put down.

2. BuzzCoastin June 12, 2012 at 3:27 am #

A federal jury in Memphis has acquitted a FedEx pilot on six counts of tax evasion
    after she testified that she wrote letters asking the Internal Revenue Service
    what law required her to pay taxes but never received a response.

Read the trail transcript if your really interested in how that verdict could be.

3. Cunt June 12, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Without having read. I believe that she is a cunt. And trust me, I know what cunterism is about.

• Bingo June 12, 2012 at 6:03 am #

I read it, seems like she is a little paranoid with delusions of grandeur. Seems like a publicity stunt. She should have moved out of the country to a tax haven.

• Bobbie Jean Pentecost June 12, 2012 at 9:15 am #

And we should just assume you’re not a misogynist or racist or something and take your word for it? What evidence do you have that she’s a cunt?

• The only thing to get is money June 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Awesome reply!

• Be gone June 12, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

I don’t think its awesome. Average reply with grammar errors.

• 5by5 June 13, 2012 at 2:18 am #

I think you mean “grammatical” errors.

• Bobbie Jean Pentecost June 13, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I am actually quite well learned in the art of proper grammar and syntax though I don’t always give enough shits to worry about properly structuring a sentence because it’s a fucking disinfo article, not a college paper .

4. Aungsan June 12, 2012 at 8:03 am #

The title should be: Lauryn Hill on how not to be a corporate slut, like so many others.

5. Afi Keita James June 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

Lauryn Hill speaks the truth here.