Robot Locks Onto Human Targets, Unleashes 6,000 Rounds Per Minute

This is real, folks! John Biggs reports for Techcrunch:

The Kuratas Mecha robot is an art/aspirational nerd project by Suidobashi Heavy Industry. This full-sized Mech robot features a ride-in cockpit, “rocket” launchers, and a “smile controlled” BB Gatling gun. That’s right: when you smile, this thing unleashes thousands of tiny plastic BBs.

Unveiled at Wonder Fest 2012 in Tokyo, you can control the robot with either a set of master-slave joysticks or using a more fluid Kinect interface. It runs something called the V-SIDO (Bushido) OS and includes touchscreen support inside the cockpit as well as 3G wireless connectivity so you can control it via phone.

You can “price out” your own Mech here but rest-assured you won’t be able to drive one of these off the lot any time soon. It’s a one-off project and, as cool as it is, it only moves at about 10KM per hour…

[continues at Techcrunch]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

21 Comments on "Robot Locks Onto Human Targets, Unleashes 6,000 Rounds Per Minute"

1. Anarchy Pony | Jul 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

This is some pretty significant WTF!? right here.

2. Only issue is that any rocket past the RPG 7, circa 1961, will easily destroy any hopes of making mech suits a viable option for any military. If only Gundam Wing could exist! <3 Toonami

3. The Baffler | Jul 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm |

MORE DAKKA!

4. As a massive fan of Code Geass (and Mecha anime in general) and a player of Armoured Core since the days of PS1, this is my childhood dream come true.

• The Baffler | Jul 31, 2012 at 1:25 am |

Yes, that is a fully adorned and constructed Cathedral on the things shoulders.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 31, 2012 at 8:49 am |

did you ever play virtual on? (i loved armored core btw).

• ahaha yes! I completely forgot about virtual on, that arcade game must have been the birth of the mech gaming genre.

• Jin The Ninja | Jul 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm |

hours and hours i spent skipping classes on my beautiful, black, sega saturn dream-machine. still one of my favourite systems of all time.

• haha old school. My first gaming console was the Sega Master System, I must have been about 5 when I got it… PS1 will forever remain close to my heart (No one has ever been able to beat some of the games that came out of that era, Final Fantasy 7 and Armoured Core being two of them).

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 1, 2012 at 8:48 am |

FF7 being probably my favourite game of all time, with the possible exceptions of chrono trigger, street fighter, sonic 3, nights, okami, onimusha dawn of dreams, legend of mana, valkyrie profile, grandia 2, and virtua fighter 3.

• FF7 has such an epic storyline, (who can beat a protagonist who’s been genetically modified and has the memories of another person?) it had me pondering for years as to who, or what Cloud was *sigh* nostalgia. On that note do you know where I could get a torrent for FF7? Would love to play it again.

5. if the girl is the robot
    she should feel free to lock-on to me
    and unlease however many rounds she likes

6. Build your own you bitches

7. You have 15 seconds to comply . . . 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . . 2 . . .

8. you lost me at gasoline fueled diesel engine

9. and whats with the smile thing?