EBay Bans Sale Of Magic, Spells, Curses, Witchcraft

Rumor has it that Etsy may follow suit. The question that comes to mind is, does this constitute religious discrimination? The other question that comes to mind is, who are the 20 people who bought a penis enlargement spell for 15 dollars on eBay? From eBay’s 2012 Fall Seller Update:

The following items are being added to the prohibited items list: advice; spells; curses; hexing; conjuring; magic; prayers; blessing services; magic potions; healing sessions.

Discontinued categories:

Metaphysical: Psychic, Paranormal > Readings
Metaphysical: Psychic, Paranormal > Spells, Potions
Metaphysical: Tarot Readings

16 Comments on "EBay Bans Sale Of Magic, Spells, Curses, Witchcraft"

1. lifobryan | Aug 17, 2012 at 5:27 pm |

Damn … now I have to schlep all the way over to Diagon Alley for my polyjuice potion ….

2. Irving Greenfield | Aug 17, 2012 at 5:30 pm |

Looks like they’re trying to keep out the fortune tellers, soothsayers, and snake oil salesmen. If somebody gets sick from one of these potions, who’s responsible? In a perfect world, the manufacturer of such potion would, but in the real world, whoever has the deepest pockets, in this case E-Bay, is responsible.
      I think this is more of a case of good risk management than religious discrimination.

3. BrainofJFK | Aug 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm |

At long last! I can now ridicule the goth kids shopping in hot topic without fear of reprisal!

4. eBay bans stupidity
    this is tragic
    and it’s not like eBay is the only source for stupidity
    but it’s got to be bottom of the barrel stupidity
    why else the ban?

5. Those were some of the most fun categories on eBay. They gave users a place to be creative in ways that you don’t normally get when selling tea cups and figurines. Ebay used to be known for being a little playful, quirky…why pretend to be Amazon.com?

6. coiled embrace | Aug 18, 2012 at 2:39 am |

Religious discrimination? What religion? This is just bullshit con preying on the stupid and gullible.

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

both ‘wicca’ and ‘vodoun’ are recognised religions in the US. of course a lot the ‘spells’ derive from hoodoo and associated folk practices, but regardless.

• Jesus eats dick. | Aug 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm |

“This is just bullshit con preying on the stupid and gullible.”

Sounds an awful lot like religion to me…

• what religion? try paganism. voodoo, witches, and the like.

7. GregForest | Aug 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm |

But auctioning the Jesus on toast is still cool. Praise!

8. Curses! CURSES!!!

9. Ostarchildo | Aug 19, 2012 at 5:34 am |

I thought they had to specify “for entertainment purposes only” and that would be enough?

10. Carlswanson81 | Aug 19, 2012 at 9:59 am |

Does this include old grimoires and stuff about chaos magic etc?  There goes like half my research.  Much harder to find rare occult books in the real world

• VaudeVillain | Aug 19, 2012 at 11:30 am |

I could be mistaken, but it looks like what they have banned is the sale of magic as a service. So far as I can tell, physical paraphernalia (providing it does not otherwise infringe), books, and other physical goods related to magic are still allowed.

11. I was one of the witchcraft sellers on eBay …I know many people don’t take my profession seriously and I wouldnt expect people too. I have been practicing hoodoo spell crafting for close to 20 years now and do take it seriously and am actualy proud of what I do! I have no regrets about eBays witch hunt landing us at Etsy as Etsy is way more fun to work from, but I am concerned at the rumours Etsy will follow in eBays suit. I hope Etsy stays the orginal, intetesting place that it is. I think we all felt a loss when walmarts and targets cookie cuttered our home towns. I dont want to think that someday the web will be all amazons and ebays …boring!