Would you agree to this in return for a half-price smoothie? Created by advertising agency Redpepper, a program called “Facedeals” is already being tested in Tennessee, with plans to expand nationally in the near future. The way it works is, internet-connected cameras mounted in front of businesses capture the faces of comers and goers. Individuals who have agreed to participate in Facedeals are identified and tracked using facial recognition software when a camera spots them, and as a reward periodically receive personalized deals and coupons via their smartphones:

16 Comments on "Facebook App To Offer Discounts To People Who Agree To Be Constantly Tracked With Facial Recognition Technology"

1. Simiantongue | Aug 16, 2012 at 9:48 am |

Whoring out principles for coupons. And bought so cheaply too, bravo capitalism.

2. Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 10:37 am |

BOYCOTT

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm |

Which internet social network do you recommend? If you recommend one at all that is.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm |

hmm, I don’t use any.  I was thinking of boycotting physical locations that participated.

• Liam_McGonagle | Aug 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

I wonder if any of these establishments will end up getting busted based on the facial tracking data.  You know, like if some dumb*ss gang banger ends up broadcasting the locations of all his drug deals to coppers who have him under surveillance.

There are a number of quite mainstream establishments in my county that have reputations as money laundering outfits for the mob, or as favored locations for drug deals.

I have no intention of testing the credibility of the rumours myself, but I wouldn’t doubt if at least some of them are true.  Back in college a friend’s ex- got involved with some bad characters that gave the rumours a strong ring of truth.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:29 pm |

Come on McGonagle, walk on the wild side, rumors like that, an 8-ball and a pocketful of benzos have been the start of legends

Just ask yourself – What would Dennis Hopper do?

• Liam_McGonagle | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:36 pm |

Decompose.  He’s dead.

I don’t know if your experience of gang bangers has been different, but those few who I’ve had the pleasure to meet here in Wisconsin stretch the meaning of the terms, “scabby”, “crude”, “thick” and “stupid”.

In other words, just like reg’lar Wisconsinites, only more so.

3. Fuck non-anonymity on the Web—FUCK IT.

Facebook? More like “We Give You A Facial, And You Slurp It Up And Beg For More Book.”

4. Apathesis | Aug 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm |

So glad I got rid of Facebook.  The Friendly Face of Big Brother gave me nothing more than extreme mental anguish on a daily basis.  The level of stupidity and vanity I saw displayed every hour was disturbing, infuriating, and depressing and only proved to me that the USA wouldn’t wake up until it was far too late.

5. Count Coupon | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm |

OMG!! Halfpriced smoothies!!!! definite tweet!

• Liam_McGonagle | Aug 17, 2012 at 11:39 am |

Sometimes the crudest forms of irony can be the most satisfying.  Call it a ‘guilty pleasure’.

6. Stuff like this always starts as something you can “opt-into” in exchange for discounts, and in the end it becomes something you absolutely can’t avoid if you want to function normally in society. Don’t want your movements tracked and your lips read for subversive keywords? Well, it’s a free country. If you really feel that way you can always walk around with a bag over your head…

7. Anarchy Pony | Aug 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm |

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again; we are retarding our way straight into a surveillance state.

• Taan Maat | Aug 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

We’re already in a surveillance state. What we’re retarding our way into is brainchip mind control.

8. Of course they’ll be a series of morons agreeing to this, anything for a coupon!!