Found in Florida: Record-Breaking Burmese Python Pregnant with 87 Eggs

Picture: CGrapes429 (PD)

Via LiveScience:

Burmese pythons have settled into the Florida Everglades quite nicely, and it seems that they’re not going to be leaving any time soon. Thanks to irresponsible pet owners, the massive snakes have established a breeding population and are eating their way through native wildlife with merry abandon. Check out this worrisome discovery:

A double record-setting Burmese python has been found in the Florida Everglades. At 17 feet, 7 inches (5.3 me

ters) in length, it is the largest snake of its kind found in the state and it was carrying a record 87 eggs. Scientists say the finding highlights how dangerously comfortable the invasive species has become in its new home.

The snake was almost 165 pounds, easily big enough to kill a human being. Researchers say that they find several every day that they go into the Everglades. Think you’ll be python-free as long as you stay away from Florida? Think again: Climate change may allow the creatures to slither their way throughout the south-eastern United States…and beyond.

Read more at LiveScience.

Disinformation

Disinformation

disinformation®­ curates the most shocking, unusual and quirkiest news articles, podcasts and videos on the web, most of which are submitted by the site’s visitors.
Disinformation

Latest posts by Disinformation (see all)

28 Comments on "Found in Florida: Record-Breaking Burmese Python Pregnant with 87 Eggs"

1. Anarchy Pony | Aug 14, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

This may be somewhat insensitive, but fuck all you idiot exotic pet weirdos and your stupid hobby. Way to introduce a highly dangerous invasive species that is poised to completely ruin the unique and incredible everglades ecology. Glad I don’t have to live down there and worry about these fucking creatures eating my dogs.

• Yeah, I was going to write something similar but I think you said it better.

• lifobryan | Aug 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm |

Yikes, now I regret releasing my pet Popobawa.

• What have you done?!

• lifobryan | Aug 15, 2012 at 9:30 am |

Well, it just seemed so unhappy without __________, and I could only give it so much __________ …….

• Well I guess I’m going to have to explain to everyone i know in florida what a Popobawa is.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

Given the use of the popbawa as a state control apparatus during election cycles, I can definitely see this becoming an issue in Florida.

• lifobryan | Aug 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm |

Hmmm … I think you are onto something:

A leathery appearance; a monocular-cyclopian world-view; violent consequences for unbelievers; and compulsory missionary work (imposed via a distinctly NON-missionary position).

Holy shite – the Popobawa IS a Baptist preacher!!!

• Calypso_1 | Aug 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm |

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 15, 2012 at 12:14 am |

Needs more “Syfy original movie”.

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm |

Also, if you find one in your garage, don’t call animal control, just get a shove and take care of business.

• Matt Staggs | Aug 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

Well, there’s being an irresponsible weirdo and being a responsible one. I own a bearded dragon that doesn’t leave its tank unless it’s in a closed room with plenty of hands-on supervision. I know plenty of very irresponsible cat and dog owners. Both animals are very capable of going feral, reproducing at high rates and ruining local ecosystems.

2. And it bet it’s on welfare, too.

Romney 2012.

3. I released a couple of snapping turtles in a local pond a few years ago. Im waiting for the news of the minions

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 15, 2012 at 9:10 pm |

Released them where? Snapping turtles are native to the southern US.

• They are not native to the pond I released them in as the pond is a man made reservoir. The alligator snapping turtle is native to the southeast united states while the common snapping turtle has a broader range that takes up almost half of the country. Comment was for comic relief

4. Fransisco Person | Aug 15, 2012 at 3:07 am |

Put a bounty on the damned things.    Strip em of their skin and sell off the leather to pay the bounty.

You put a bounty on em and I’ll bet they go extinct for the area.  Plain and simple.

5. Apathesis | Aug 15, 2012 at 7:21 am |

You know who owns snakes?  Juggalos.

Someone needs to take care of this snake problem before kids start dying.

6. BrendanBabbage | Aug 16, 2012 at 1:05 am |

So we can get Swine flu FLom Cathay, countless beetles, leeches, etc.

Bedbugs.
    Let’s not forget the BEDBUGS on the backs of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS…

But, the person with a weird pet they snuck past customs is an “Eco Terrorist”?

Well, mmmabye they are, but the damage is done, sad to say…