Guerrilla Art Collective Fixes Toronto’s Downtown Advertising Pillars

The company Astral Media paid off the city for the right to install irritating “info pillars” displaying bland maps — and advertisements — throughout downtown. The group cARTographyTO took it upon themselves to correct matters by breaking into and altering the pillars to feature art-maps, created by Torontonians (with examples below), that are decidedly more thought provoking and visually pleasing. They explain:

cARTographyTO replaced ads in Astral Media “Info” Pillars with art-maps created by Toronto residents and local artists. This site-specific art, donated by over 30 concerned citizens (and supported by many times more), offers new possibilities for these spaces, and information about the surrounding neighbourhoods. This is a response to sidewalk billboards, and the erosion and privatization of public spaces.

18 Comments on "Guerrilla Art Collective Fixes Toronto’s Downtown Advertising Pillars"

1. Toronto sucks, regardless if Astral Media or an Arts Collective puts up shit… Toronto will be bland and will suck.

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm |

let’s see, either
      A) disgruntled ex-torontonian ( 905 doesn’t count).
      B) Montrealer
      C) faux-boho douche from Vancouver.

2. Go the guerrilla artists!!! Having created and installed many guerrilla pieces as a teenager I think this is friggin awesome!

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 22, 2012 at 8:28 am |

it’s certainly an improvement to what was there before.

i also was quite guilty of guerrilla street art in my teens ^6^

now if we can only do something about the horrendous glass and steel condos they’re putting up EVERYWHERE…. literally i will walk outside and there will be NEW signboards for 3 permit applications- in a neighboorhood filled with glass and steel condos already

• Yeh I’ve never understood why people would choose to live in something that resembles a hospital, or a futuristic prison… You should get into glass etching, bring some life into these sterile monstrosities!

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 23, 2012 at 10:11 am |

lol. i think most people would be terrified or horrified at my design sensibility!

• I’d etch tiny penis’ everywhere. They’re quick and easy to draw, and they offend enough people to be hilarious….

Not that I’m immature or anything… O_o

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm |

i was thinking penis’ or skulls, or maybe a mixture- with breasts thrown in. lol maturity is for when you’re 40.

• Vaginas also? Perhaps skulls with penis’ hanging out of their mouths, large breasts on either side of the skulls, and a vagina centred in their foreheads?

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 24, 2012 at 9:30 pm |

i’m down for the range of genders.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 25, 2012 at 12:11 am |

I’d like for you to make an appointment.  Are you currently taking any meds?

• Depends on your idea of “meds”… However I will take what you’re prescribing, doctor.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 25, 2012 at 11:44 am |

You underestimate the breadth of my pharmacopoeia. ; )

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

‘I had discovered, early in my researches, that their doctrine was no mere chemical fantasy, but a philosophy they applied to the world, to the elements, and to man himself.’

i’m sure it’s extensive and interesting;)

• Calypso_1 | Aug 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm |

“It was a day that will remain blazingly clear in my memory, and one which unquestionably confirmed the entire direction of my life. I understood that our entire universe is contained in the mind and the spirit. We may not choose to find access to it, we may even deny its existence, but it is indeed there inside us, and there are chemicals that can catalyse its availability.”

• Ha. After close analysis of your comments, I’d have to
            conclude that an underestimation would be very, very wrong.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 25, 2012 at 11:18 pm |

You are very kind.

3. Jin The Ninja | Aug 22, 2012 at 8:32 am |

1st picture looks like bay/college?
    2nd picture… danforth/broadview near Big Carrot?