Insane Clown Posse To Sue FBI Over Gang Designation

If the FBI can label rapping clown enthusiasts as a “criminal gang”, with very real consequences for those identified as members, they can do the same to any subculture. Imagine being denied parole because your black clothing and vegan anarchist literature indicate a “gang affiliation”.  Vice explains:

Every year, the FBI releases its National Gang Threat Assessment List, which examines “emerging gang trends and threats posed by criminal gangs.” In 2011, Juggalos were added to the list. You already know about Juggalos, those zany, slap-happy, face-painted faygo-swillers who have made the Insane Clown Posse their religion.

Well, ICP is about to start fighting back, and they’re reacting by suing the FBI. Although currently only considered a gang in four states, law enforcement in 21 states have identified and logged criminal Juggalo subsets. In those states, if an ICP fan is on probation, and he or she wears an ICP hat to a parole meeting, that’s a violation of probation for wearing gang apparel.

“A Juggalo is not a gang member,” [says ICP’s Violent J]. “Consider a Juggalo that, 15 years ago, got a hatchet man tattoo or something. Now they’ve got a family…and they’re driving home and get a speeding ticket. Next thing you know, he’s in the gang file, and that will be taken into consideration in any trial. Suddenly, it ain’t just somebody who fucked up, it’s a gang member who fucked up, and they’re getting a heavier sentence.”

Violent J explained how the FBI’s ruling has affected ICP’s business in a major way: “When we made that list, stores like Hot Topic stopped carrying our shit because they don’t want to be selling gang apparel.”

41 Comments on "Insane Clown Posse To Sue FBI Over Gang Designation"

1. Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm |

If the shoe fits.

• Anonydude | Aug 17, 2012 at 3:38 am |

I’m not sure I’ve ever actually “lol’d” at a disinfo comment, and now I am.

2. Cpattavina | Aug 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm |

So, are the Parrotheads and Deadheads also gangs? First they came for ICP, and I said ,”Mebbe they deserved it,” Then, I got pulled over for speeding, the cop heard “Truckin'” on my radio and I was thrown in the jug with them.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:23 pm |

I know some Parrotheads who own aircraft, ocean going ships and small arsenals.  They’re pretty good on the grill too – with the big game they hunt with their homemade bows.

• Liam_McGonagle | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm |

Hunter S. Thompson was a Parrothead.  Whatever your opinion of the guy’s politics or writing, it’s clear that he took more drugs in one year than most hospitals go through in a decade, and had an arsenal that would make Israel drool.

3. It’s a bit different when these clowns (pun intended) run around your city, beating on people while hollering their juggalo slogans. They most definitely are a criminal element in any town. They revel in lawlessness and stupidity.  These assholes can’t be thrown in a cage fast enough

• Apathesis | Aug 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

People who dress like low-rent gangbangers and rappers are intimidating, but Juggalos are downright fucking scary.  And crazy.

• Calypso_1 | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm |

A tense encounter with some of these cretins is the only time I have ever truly feared that I didn’t carry enough ammo.

4. Natevhorn | Aug 16, 2012 at 5:01 pm |

They gonna make us have an UPRISING!! WOOT WOOT

5. Apathesis | Aug 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm |

To be considered a gang by the FBI, these Juggalos have got to be committing some heinous crimes.  Oh, wait.  They do.

• as a whole? I think not. were there any violent crimes committed at the latest festival?

• Apathesis | Aug 18, 2012 at 9:50 am |

No, not as a whole.  I don’t agree with Juggalos being classified as a gang, but some people who identify as a Juggalo have commited some really heinous crimes.

6. Apathesis | Aug 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm |

I still hate hipsters more.  Far more full of shit than these drugged-out morons.

Granted, not all of them are scum,  but it’s fucking silly to be that dedicated to one musical act.

7. mole_face | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm |

Fuck the terrorist watchlist – we need a national database of all known Juggalos. FEMA could finally make good use out of all those concentration camps they’ve been setting up.

8. Liam_McGonagle | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:04 pm |

I haven’t been to a strip club for years, so I don’t really know about these types of bands.

9. Ted Heistman | Aug 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm |

I think this guy is a deusche: http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2011/10/journal-us-military-gangs.html

But if you want a Spook’s (albeit a spook that is into Green/sustainability) analysis on the FBI report there it is.

10. mole_face | Aug 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm |

It’s definitely pointless to create specific penalties for wearing ICP apparel to a parole hearing though. I’m pretty sure that most parole boards are already less than lenient when someone shows up to the hearing wearing Juggalo shit.

11. drop the Faygo, you clown!

12. Are they Insane or what?

13. Kingjakub | Aug 17, 2012 at 7:52 am |

This is all wrong. Granted, kids who’ve been charged with serious cases deserve some time in jail. But fact is, I grew up with these ‘freaks’. I was bullied… a lot in school. These ‘jugglo’s’ looked out for me. May’ve done some stupid shit, but the music they listen to teaches them the system is corrupt, that it’s all lies and false bullshit to keep you in line and keep you controllable in society, numbered, and tagged. I’m not condoning on a lot of kids actions, hell some aren’t kids anymore(like me). But fact is, people have a right to dress, think, and do as they please. More rights to be taken away, as I see it. So are all clowns gonna be shot in the streets? Basically, anyone or charges any kind of hatred against anyone else is a problem to life itself and you yourself need to be confined and put away if you want them to be put away as well. Done.

• scientists be lyin and gettin me pissed.

• Don’t worry, juggalos won’t be alone in persecution for long – they came for the Muslims after 9/11. Now they go after ICP fans. Who’s next?

14. Matt Staggs | Aug 17, 2012 at 9:45 am |

I’ve read a few articles about them and their fans, and my perception of both has changed a bit. They’re no different from the KISS Army or any other group of alienated people seeking a tribal identity to call their own. ICP, as goofy as I think they are, are very good to the kids who love
    them, and it’s as plain as day that they’re no more serious about this evil rapping clown stuff than Alice Cooper was about his torture theater stuff in the seventies. FBI and police classifying their fans as gang members is more or less what happened to metal and D&Ders in the eighties. See also:
    “Satanic Panic.”

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

I did not know dungeon and dragon members were classified as gang members..

• Rosy Palmer | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

They’re not.  But you wouldn’t know that by the way influential media outlets treated them.

It wasn’t just the Pat Robertsons of the world, but also lazy mainstream corporate news outlets who splashed reports of local teen deaths and suicides with inane speculations about whether Gary Gygax was leading a murder/suicide cult.

Hind sight’s 20/20, of course.  If you weren’t alive in the mid ’70’s you wouldn’t be aware of this at all, but the contemporary perception of them as ‘dangerously derranged occultists’ was fairly widespread in heartland America.

Whereas today we all know that D&D games are merely circle jerk sodalities.

• Matt Staggs | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm |

Gaming paraphernalia was considered a sign that a person may be involved in a satanic cult, and sometimes books were even confiscated as potential evidence at crime scenes. Here’s some neat stuff, but I could probably find more if I really looked.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

To me its always been obvious that people with gaming paraphernalia are part of a satanic cult, but thats a whole other story.

• Matt Staggs | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

Here’s another article that might be of interest to you:

15. Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 17, 2012 at 12:20 pm |

Put this in with professional wrestling, reality T.V. and fast-food as one of the great contributions American culture has given the world.

16. Jameshonicutt | Aug 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm |

If one of those clowns sent out a message to all of the true juggalors to show up at ..like….all burger kings and destroy….thousands of dumb fucks would do it

17. BrianApocalypse | Aug 18, 2012 at 9:35 am |

This is all a conspiracy the defame ICP by the Illuminati for exposing the truth about magnetism.

• As if I had to scroll this far for a magnet comment. At first I would be against all this. But this is a band indoctrinating lonely kids into a non-science faith in the world…. That’s arguably as bad as the crazy christian conservatives!

18. Phillipede | Aug 20, 2012 at 1:58 am |

Seriously though most of the juggalos that I’ve ever known have been complete idiots who for some reason think it’s okay to dress up as wicked clowns, go out in public and do stupid shit. Then they wonder why people call the police on them.

It’s not really the bands fault that their following are a bunch of perpetual eighth graders who can’t seem to figure out that it’s all a gimmick to sell albums. What ICP should be doing, however, is taking all the criminal activity of their following seriously and speaking out against it, which they don’t seem to actually be doing.

19. Grimsweep | Sep 7, 2012 at 9:12 am |

This Country needs an Enema~!! We as a society have been over analyzing everything for way to long now, did you know The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Show  was taken off the air because it was deemed “to violent for television”? Absurd~!  How many of you older folks wore polyester suits and weird hair styles after you saw the movie “Staying Alive” with John Travolta? a lot I know I was there,or Maybe you liked to go see “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the midnight matinee..don’t tell me you didn’t see any freaks there..but it was different then..I never wanted to strap my ass to a rocket and a pair of roller skates and go play in traffic or fall from a high cliff with a little umbrella in one hand and a anvil in the other..not once did anything crazy cross my mind..want to know why? Because we aren’t as stupid as many people that have never walked a mile on this side of the tracks would have society believe and it’s the same thing with these Juggalo kids today..just because they like the product that ICP puts out and admires their image doesn’t mean they all want to really be John Wayne Gacy when they grow up.. so what they dress different, do things with their hair, wear make up and act like what some stuffed shirts would call “Not Normal” doesn’t make them anymore gang members then all of us wearing Zeppelin T-Shirts or Afro’s then..Lookout if you ever had a Disco ball..you might be a gang member..
     Seriously?