Kansas Jury Refuses To Recognize Marijuana Laws

This has happened before in parts of the country where you might not expect it and seems to be a growing trend which the government would rather you not know about. Via Reason, a Kansas defense attorney recounts the turn of events:

I had a jury trial this morning on level 3 possession with intent MJ, level 4 possession drug paraphernalia and level 10 no drug tax stamp.

During voir dire, my almost all white, middle-class, middle-aged jury went into full rebellion against the prosecutor stating that they wouldn’t convict even if the client’s guilt was proven beyond a reasonable doubt — almost all of them! They felt marijuana should be legalized, what he does with it is his own business and that the jails are already full of people for this silly charge.

Then, when the potential jurors found out that the State wanted him to pay taxes on illegal drugs, they went nuts. One woman from the back said how stupid this was and why are we even here wasting our time. A “suit” from the front said this was the most ridiculous thing he’d ever heard. The prosecutor ended up dismissing the case. Judge gave me a dismissal with prejudice. I’m still laughing my ass off over this one. I have NEVER seen a full on mutiny by an entire jury pool before.

21 Comments on "Kansas Jury Refuses To Recognize Marijuana Laws"

1.  Marijuana Laws, a thing of the past.

2. Surrealias | Aug 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm |

If I were that guy being tried, I’d walk out of that courtroom so damn happy with the world.

• Just reading this has restored some of my faith in humanity. That man should spark up a giant doobie to celebrate, and I hope he can share it with as many of the jury as are interested.

3. Jeffery Allen | Aug 22, 2012 at 6:31 pm |

Fantastic… people are finally coming to their senses about these ridiculous pot laws.  How long before the government wakes up?  Great story!

4. Fransisco Person | Aug 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm |

I know it’s been said a million times but if they would make it legal in the USA, the price would plummet and the violence due to drug trafficking would stop immediately.

Just about anyone that wants to smoke pot already does, the increase would come from those that would no longer be regulated by the company they work for. Not sure how that would work out but it would be no different than tobacco or alcohol.

• But remember, they caught Hilary saying, when asked if there will ever be an end to the drug laws “I don’t think so, there’s too much money in it.”
      oops

5. Beautiful!  Remember you have the RIGHT to nullify!
    FIJA.org

6. Littlemisteramerica | Aug 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm |

This makes me smile. The book “Send in the Waco Killers” by Vic Suprynowicz talks about juries using this technique to nullify stupid laws. Reminds me of Doug Stanhope’s bit about taking jury duty. Good shit.

7. Let freedom ring!

8. How long before jury trials go the way of Due Process and searches with Warrants?

9. The Force was strong with that jury.

10. Gutterstar69 | Aug 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm |

I’d love this to be true, but i’d like a little more attribution than “a Kansas llawyer sent me this.”

• discusthrower | Aug 22, 2012 at 11:40 pm |

I agree… it sounds like a chain e-mail about “jury nullification” lamely passed on…

11. Now if we the people would only stop illegal foreign invasions and dismantle our worldwide military empire (The Roman Empire is SOOO jealous), stop hoarding wealth by making others poorer, realize that there is only one human race, that you should love the one you’re with and that we are luminous beings, not this crude matter…maybe we can actually enjoy this incarnation.

12. Amazing story!

Thank you for posting this Jacob.

13. seriously people, do you REALLY think this happened?  do you really think there is an attorney named, “Via Reason” in kansas- and oddly he has no internet presence other than having been attributed to this occurence?  c’mon now.  it’s a fake.  use some common sense.

• Reason Magazine, bgtw.  You see the red text?  It’s known as a link.  How are you getting on here with your Atari 400 anyway?  lol

I saw the post last week.  They didn’t have anything other than the email sender’s word for it either, though.

14. Robert Chase | Aug 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm |

This is wonderful news; no jury should convict anyone of any drug crime!

15. No name for this Defense Attorney?

No court / county for the case?

No case # or defendant name?

I call BULLSHIT!