I, Reptoid

Thirteen Cobras by Ted Heistman

Picture: "Thirteen Cobras" by Ted Heistman

Around 2006 or 2007 thereabouts, I was guided through a Shamanic Journey by my Aunt. We cast a circle, prayed to the four directions and then I lay down while she played a Tibetan drumming tape. This created a sacred space.

When I closed my eyes I began to have a vision. The fire light cast a shadow on the wall of the cave distorting their brutish features into even more sinister shapes. Then from deep within the bowels of the Earth they summoned this ancient creature, older than all life on planet earth yet anthropoid in shape. It was a “segmented man” something that looked like some kind of millipede or something, but walking upright with with two arms and two legs and an appendage that looked like a head. But each appendage looked like the others, just a tube of segments. It did some kind of strange dance to the beat of the drumming.

Then I walked down the hole in the back of the cave that was opened up when they summoned the segmented man from the depths. The hole got really narrow and as I squeezed through I was somehow contorted into a dragon like shape, with a long serpentine body and became a dragon. I think I was a Western Dragon, with blue black skin like an Alligator. I passed through all four elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water mastering each one, swimming, flying, etc.

Then I found myself on the Campus of the University of Wisconsin in Madison, walking down the bike path, between the campus and Lake Mendota. I stood about ten feet tall. I had all the same mental faculties yet I was covered in scales and had huge teeth and a long snout like a crocodile. So I was thinking “wow this is much better.” I never thought there could be anything that had huge teeth plus intelligence. At the time I had been experiencing a lot of social anxiety/fear especially around large crowds of people. But as a walked through the streets of Madison as a dragon, for the first time, I felt none of this. It was wonderful.

After my vision I felt very troubled. I had been reading a lot of books by David Icke. I feel slightly silly that I once took his writings so seriously, but he seems to speak of these Reptilians on several different levels, almost like he is speaking symbolically at times, though, at other times he seems to seriously assert, for example, that the members of the royal family are literally 12 foot lizards.

But one thing I read that piqued my curiosity was that these lizards supposedly lived in the “fourth dimension” which is believed to be the realm of archetypes. So for insights into this realm I did several Google searches which led me to Carl Jung.

After visiting my local Library for every book by and and about Karl Jung, I became familiar with a couple key concepts, namely, “The shadow” and “psychological projection”

I think now what this vision was about is reclaiming an aspect of myself I had alienated and relegated to my shadow. This manifested in projection of this aspect onto powerful elites.

By transforming into a dragon, I was able to reclaim this part of myself and also recognize a commonality between myself and elites and to reclaim power I had previously disowned and projected onto them.

This research also corresponds with a study I was doing around the same time of my family tree, which humorously, also linked me to these same “Reptilian Shape shifters”  I won’t bore anyone with the details, since I find the only thing more boring than hearing about whom other people believe they were in a past live is who is in their family tree.

But I will say the effect of this eventually moved on from “Holy Cow I am a Reptoid!” to “There is no special bloodline. These are normal human beings like my self that through accidents of history are having alien origins and supernatural powers projected onto them.

In the words of Pogo Possum, which rings true even though its a cliche by now:

“I have seen the enemy and it is us”

, , , ,

33 Responses to I, Reptoid

1. A.Lizard September 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Reptoids are one of the more ridiculous notions that you, I mean us humans have come up with.

2. A.Lizard September 19, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

• Ted Heistman September 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I thought Geico came up with it?

• Ted Heistman September 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I thought Geico came up with it?

• Matt Staggs September 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Don’t be ssssilly.

• Chris Charbonneau September 19, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

I grew up watching “Land of the Lost” – sleestaks scared the crap out of me – later when we were watching it on cable – we were all laughing at the fact that they were people in rubber suits gingerly walking around on platform heels – however – we were in agreement that if we fell into the Land of the Lost that we’d still be scared of them (hey breaking conditioning ain’t easy) even if we could see heel seams….

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Yeah I remember those guys too! I only saw it it when I was home sick from school in the eighties. “Enemy Mine” is a good movie too with better costumed sleestack type dudes.

3. BuzzCoastin September 19, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

By transforming into a dragon, I was able to reclaim this part of myself
    and also recognize a commonality between myself and elites and to
    reclaim power I had previously disowned and projected onto them.

Right on, they have only as much power as we give them.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Yeah there is a definitely a complicity with power relations.

4. Josue September 20, 2012 at 12:11 am #

If you would have started with Jung, you would have skipped boring the rest of us with this pointless article.

• Matt Staggs September 20, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Be careful who you include in that “us,” amigo. Looks like a few of “us” enjoyed reading this! While we’re on the topic, though, I’d love to get you started on submitting your own material, if you’re interested.

• Calypso_1 September 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

Be careful ‘Us’.  ‘They’ are always looking for new encephelates to recruit as carriers.

• Calypso_1 September 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

5. Humeoftheloom September 20, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Hey Ted, sounds like an awesome experience! There is definitely a “your leaders love you and always have your best interests in mind” myth that is accepted by most non-oppressed people at an early age. This automatically takes power away from those who believe it, creating a fatherly protector in their minds. Anyway.. This is Ben from the bikenbike! I wanted to check out your article and let you know that your keys/lock are safe in the bikenbike. They are hanging up near the tires and the ladder going to the loft. Uh.. tomorrow someone might be in there to help you get them, otherwise show up on Friday and ask for them!

• Matt Staggs September 20, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Now that you’re here, make yourself at home!

• Matt Staggs September 20, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Now that you’re here, make yourself at home!

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Hey Awesome! Yeah, It’d be a shame to get my bike stolen after getting it all fixed. Thanks for stopping by man. I think its closed tomorrow though.

Anyway, in case anyone is curious about this little side conversation-There is this awesomeBike Collective in Olympia WA I think this is the website: http://www.oly-wa.us/Bikes/
      Really cool people there and a really great organization to have.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Really cool people there and a really great organization to have.

6. Martin Hayes September 20, 2012 at 6:42 am #

One of the things I noticed when I was steeped in Jungian thought was that my dream life started to become more archetypal, more alchemical. I’d hate to have to guess whether this was due to actual individuation or just because I had my nose stuck in those sorts of books.

Around about this time I encountered a “challenge” that can be put to believers in conspiracy theories: how are your relations with your father? The thinking was that sons whose relationship with their father was “wounded” would project their distrust and fear of their fathers onto authority figures.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Well I think its pretty good, my relationship with my Father, that is. I think though that in life everyone is bound to develop certain defense mechanisms, because basically when we are children we do a lot of things unconsciously, hopefully as we develop We become more conscious. I mean that’s the goal right? I have gotten some good insights from Nietzsche in “Geneology of Morals” regarding “the bad conscience”  and also some articles I read online about Reich and Lowen regarding character structure. I identify closest with “the endurer” http://www.energeticsinstitute.com.au/page/the_endurer_masochist.html

So the idea with Nietzsche, with the bad conscience is that in modern society These aggressive instincts our ancestors had are turned inward against ourselves. This process has been pinned down developmentally by Reich and Lowen, basically at around two years of age. So if a toddler has his budding autonomy kind of squashed by being micromanaged basically-he can split off and alienate his own aggression, also agency and will, because at this developmental stage its dangerous to display too much aggression to caregivers. I mean think about it, even today weird aggressive kids that fight their parents might end up in a home or an orphanage or be abandoned. This defense mechanism is evolutionarily adaptive and maintains attachment to the primary care-givers. So the child develops a “conscience” and kind of persecutes himself, because at that stage his own anger and aggression to care-givers is more dangerous, than anger or overbearing-ness *from* the care-givers.

A humorous example is “Butters” on South Park, His parents are really strict and so he’s outwardly very happy go lucky yet hard on himself, and thus extremely compliant with authority, and also has this strange rebellious alter ego that comes out from time to time named “Professor Chaos.” Butters has split of from a part of himself and relegated it to the shadow. He’s actually a pretty complex character.

7. justagirl September 20, 2012 at 9:55 am #

huge teeth AND intelligence?…  oh my.

8. justagirl September 20, 2012 at 9:55 am #

huge teeth AND intelligence?…  oh my.

9. David Metcalfe September 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

One of the things I’ve really enjoyed about your recollections Ted are the accompanying illustrations. I was glad to find more of them: http://wanderervlog.blogspot.com/

I especially like some of the older ones of the sort of hairless, thin goblinoid figures.

Excellent work!

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

Hey thanks man! Glad you enjoy it. I am getting a new camera soon to hopefully there will be more to come!

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

“sort of hairless, thin goblinoid figures”
      You mean like these guys:

If you are intersted in the story behind him-

That’s a character I made up. He’s composed of ‘genetic detritus” Human/chicken/grey alien DNA. He inhabits a bombed out former space colony wasteland and spends his days drawing Utopian murals He has no mouth, only pores where digestive fluids ooze out, and of course chicken legs.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

“sort of hairless, thin goblinoid figures”
      You mean like these guys:

If you are intersted in the story behind him-

10. Calypso_1 September 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Your segmented man kept making me think of some of the earlier depictions of Tiamat.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Yeah, he was kind of more bipedal. I think I relate it more to this idea i had read about carbon molecules and the anthropic principle. Tiamat is interesting though.

11. Ihaveabluetongue September 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Interesting article, wish there were more like this. The accompanying illustration is also cool

12. Ihaveabluetongue September 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

• Ted Heistman September 22, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Thank you. It was fun to write!

• Ted Heistman September 22, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Thank you. It was fun to write!