Washington, D.C. Launches Transgender Respect Ad Campaign

The new series of PSAs breaks ground as the first such effort by an American city. DCist writes:

Mayor Vince Gray and the D.C. Office of Human Rights yesterday launched an ad campaign promoting respect for the city’s transgender and gender-non-conforming residents. The five ads, which will appear this fall, use images of members of the transgender and gender-non-conforming and convey the message that they are no different than any other D.C. resident.

City officials say that the government-funded ad campaign is the first of its kind in the nation to focus on transgender and gender-non-conforming residents.

At the launch of the ad campaign yesterday, Gray admitted that while the ads themselves would not be enough to stop discrimination and acts of violence, they would serve to raise awareness and highlight legal rights and protections that members of the community enjoy under the expansive D.C. Human Rights Act.

, , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Washington, D.C. Launches Transgender Respect Ad Campaign

1. Proud_Womyn September 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Check your privilege cis scum.

2. Proud_Womyn September 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Check your privilege cis scum.

3. Drukindeitsaf September 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Ok. Respect, just respect and nothing more. Dont try to brainwash my kids that this is normal.

• Andrew September 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Normal ≠ moral.
      Abnormal ≠ immoral.

• Andrew September 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Normal ≠ moral.
      Abnormal ≠ immoral.

4. Willynilly September 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

I will respect you, but I don’t think “trying” to change from one sex to another should be acceptable in society.
    You can call yourself a women all you want but your chromosomes will not agree with the image they see in the mirror. You may look and talk like a women but you’re still a man genetically.

5. Town Destroyer September 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

While the persecution of people based on how they live their life and what they believe is far too widespread we should question a society that makes people so uncomfortable in their own skin that they seek to transcend thier own gender by means of being put under a knife and having their genitals mutilated, not to mention being pumped full of hormones. Transhuman, transgender and all the other trans movements that seek to transcend the natural order by means of science should stop enabling people to be so insecure. The world would be a better place if people could accept who they really are. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but i think things like this possibly do more harm than good by propping up the postmodern zeitgeist.

6. Town Destroyer September 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

• jasonpaulhayes September 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Just wait for the Transformer movement. I can hear it now “I don’t feel like I’m able to express myself without a carbine gas powered railgun and an rpg for arms” Please treat me the same way any piece of military hardware would be treated: With rockets and mortar attacks.

• jasonpaulhayes September 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

The analogy being….men expressing femininity is as scary to you as a “carbine gas powered rail gun”?

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

7. Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

I’m trying to remember why I once gave a shit if certain men decided to dress like women. I really can’t come up with anything, but I guess its good to remember that I once would have agreed with some of the comments here.

But anyway yeah, They have male chromosomes. Like, OK. So? I mean who is harmed by this? Who is harmed by things such as body modification and tatooing also?

anyway, I think the Public Service things are good because studies show that the “authoritarian personality” has a greater desire to be considered normal than others. So seeing a poster put out by people in authority is a good reinforcer.

• Ted Heistman September 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

i.e. They have a greater desire for the values to be considered normal and mainstream. So if they get cues that its normal to accept transgendered people and that most people accept them they actually will adapt their viewpoint.