Drones May Soon Refuel Themselves

Via NBC News:
Your friends at the psychopathic toy shop that is DARPA have just demonstrated proof of concept for something that’s been on their wishlist for some time: Self-refueling drones. Scientists at DARPA’s Autonomous High Altitude Refueling program successfully flew several pairs of Global Hawk drones in close formation, simulating a refueling maneuver. The next step will be to develop flying fuel stations that will help America’s drone fleet stay in the air for much longer missions. Take a look at the video:

Read more here.

16 Comments on "Drones May Soon Refuel Themselves"

1. alizardx | Oct 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm |

This doesn’t just apply to US DOD drones, all people need to know about this is that it can be done. Everybody who wants this capability will find a way to get it, including DIYers working on the next generation of tacocopters.

2. alizardx | Oct 8, 2012 at 6:05 pm |

3. Anarchy Pony | Oct 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

Wasn’t this in an episode of GITS:SAC:2nd gig?

4. Anarchy Pony | Oct 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

Wasn’t this in an episode of GITS:SAC:2nd gig?

5. as a kid in the late 50’s & early 60’s I lived on military bases with my military Dad
    I saw lots of drones
    here’s an image of things I saw
    DF-1C with QF-9G drone off NS Roosevelt Roads 1963

there have been military drones in operation since the early 50’s at least
    and if they just recently figured out how to refuel them mid-flight
    I’d be very surprised
    the bigger question is
    why are they psyoping this info now?

6. as a kid in the late 50’s & early 60’s I lived on military bases with my military Dad
    I saw lots of drones
    here’s an image of things I saw
    DF-1C with QF-9G drone off NS Roosevelt Roads 1963

there have been military drones in operation since the early 50’s at least
    and if they just recently figured out how to refuel them mid-flight
    I’d be very surprised
    the bigger question is
    why are they psyoping this info now?

• Matt Staggs | Oct 9, 2012 at 8:19 am |

I’m making
      a BuzzCoastin
      bingo card
      center square?
      psyop

😉

• Matt Staggs | Oct 9, 2012 at 8:19 am |

I’m making
      a BuzzCoastin
      bingo card
      center square?
      psyop

😉

• I remember when a drone crashed in the sea out in front of our house in Roosey Roads, musta been 1960ish. And there were plenty of drones at Lakehurst NAS in the early 60’s too. So I’ve kinda known about this drone thing for awhile. And that they were used as weapons way before 9/11.

So what I find psyopish is the sudden drone mania that’s being perpetrated by the media.

Glad to see Disinfo is living up to it’s name.:)

Glad to see Disinfo is living up to it’s name.:)

• remind me to tell you about the time