Is Modern Wheat A ‘Chronic Poison’?

CBS News ponders whether America is being poisoned by food we “improved” via technology:

Modern wheat is a “perfect, chronic poison,” according to Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist who has published a book all about the world’s most popular grain.

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn’t the wheat your grandma had: “It’s an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the ’60s and ’70s,” he said on “CBS This Morning.” “This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there’s a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It’s not gluten. I’m not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I’m talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year.”

To avoid these wheat-oriented products, Davis suggests eating “real food,” such as avocados, olives, olive oil, meats, and vegetables. “(It’s) the stuff that is least likely to have been changed by agribusiness,” he said. “Certainly not grains. When I say grains, of course, over 90 percent of all grains we eat will be wheat, it’s not barley… or flax. It’s going to be wheat.”

40 Comments on "Is Modern Wheat A ‘Chronic Poison’?"

1. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:43 am |

It totally is. Its slave food for domesticated humans. Just like cows aren’t meant to eat corn humans aren’t meant to eat grains.

Wild animals eat a much more varied diet than tamed ones living in captitity.

Domestic pigs grow fucked up teeth from eating grains and so do people. Wild pigs and wild humans have straight uncrowded teeth.

2. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:43 am |

Wild animals eat a much more varied diet than tamed ones living in captitity.

• Truth is most people have problems with preservatives than the actual gluten allergy over reaction that this whole hate wheat movement your preaching revels in.

The banter of the simple minded docu-brain…

The banter of the simple minded docu-brain…

3. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:44 am |

I eat like a savage!

4. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:44 am |

I eat like a savage!

5. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:47 am |

This is really interesting because I react to wheat but don’t have celiac sprue. Maybe its the gliadin.
    I can feel the opiate effect too which makes it hard to get off of even though it makes me sick.

6. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 10:47 am |

7. yup, I go almost wheat free, it was destroying my intestines. Its hard to digest and before agriculture we did not consume wheat like we do now, I even suspect it was the cause of my appendicitis and IBS since if gave me constant diarrhoea because insoluble fiber such as whole wheat is a laxative, bringing some stool into the appendix getting it infected . Bleached wheat I can take like white pasta but whole wheat makes me sick for some reason. But if you cut off wheat make sure you get carbs from somewhere else like potatoes or rice because your body needs Glucose for extra energy if you are a physically active person like myself. Its hard to have much energy on protein without carbs. Just make sure your main source of carbs is not wheat, at least make it bleached wheat which is soluble fiber and not the insoluble fiber of whole wheat which one cant digest. But if you are not physically active watch out with glucose as it can cause diabetes from too much sugar in your system. If you want high energy stroking that Furness with a bunch of small meals does the trick. As for the new protein that triggers opiate receptors I didnt know about, maybe thats why eating some carb rich foods makes you sleepy at first and only boosts energy the next day. Either way, stay away from high amounts of whole wheat, make it a treat or something to clear your system in case of constipation.  http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrglycemicindex.html

8. yup, I go almost wheat free, it was destroying my intestines. Its hard to digest and before agriculture we did not consume wheat like we do now, I even suspect it was the cause of my appendicitis and IBS since if gave me constant diarrhoea because insoluble fiber such as whole wheat is a laxative, bringing some stool into the appendix getting it infected . Bleached wheat I can take like white pasta but whole wheat makes me sick for some reason. But if you cut off wheat make sure you get carbs from somewhere else like potatoes or rice because your body needs Glucose for extra energy if you are a physically active person like myself. Its hard to have much energy on protein without carbs. Just make sure your main source of carbs is not wheat, at least make it bleached wheat which is soluble fiber and not the insoluble fiber of whole wheat which one cant digest. But if you are not physically active watch out with glucose as it can cause diabetes from too much sugar in your system. If you want high energy stroking that Furness with a bunch of small meals does the trick. As for the new protein that triggers opiate receptors I didnt know about, maybe thats why eating some carb rich foods makes you sleepy at first and only boosts energy the next day. Either way, stay away from high amounts of whole wheat, make it a treat or something to clear your system in case of constipation.  http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrglycemicindex.html

9. Simiantongue | Oct 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

It’s something that I’ve often questioned. A vegan friend of mine once commented that he only eats a “natural” diet including grains, wheat etc. I wondered out loud that many of these domesticated grains have only been around for a few thousand years. On an evolutionary scale that’s not a very long time. We didn’t evolve to eat these plants, they weren’t available to our ancient ancestors.

So what exactly is a natural diet?  I’m still in the process of reading what type of foods humans evolved to eat. Assuming that is what is defined as “natural” diet.

10. Simiantongue | Oct 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

11. Simiantongue | Oct 16, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

• Paleo diet seems to work for me friend

• Paleo diet seems to work for me friend

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

i, personally, eat a modified macrobiotic diet (no wheat whatsoever among other things) and am much happier for it. i agree with you that the wide consumption of wheat (found in nearly any product) is probably opposed to good health.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

12. I suck dick fot wheat.

13. I suck dick fot wheat.

14. charlieprimero | Oct 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm |

Here is a good, hour-long interview where Dr. Davis explains his research into the “Wheat Belly”…

15. charlieprimero | Oct 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm |

16. Have always been a bit suspicious of the “wheat is bad for you” thing, but I keep seeing more about it so will have to research more. Am pretty much veggie now and the idea of cutting out grains too seems insane, but if it messes your health up I guess that’s going next! Thanks for the info anyway.

17. Have always been a bit suspicious of the “wheat is bad for you” thing, but I keep seeing more about it so will have to research more. Am pretty much veggie now and the idea of cutting out grains too seems insane, but if it messes your health up I guess that’s going next! Thanks for the info anyway.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 16, 2012 at 8:47 pm |

you don’t have to cut out grains, or even wheat- you should eat unrefined grains, ancient grains and whole grains. instead of whole grain wheat try red fife, spelt or kamut.

• Thanks, will check those out. And yeah have researched a bit into refined stuff so can guess how bad the refining process can be. (refined sugar comes straight to mind.)

18. generally speaking, modern industrial food is a chronic poison
    industrial food is the gateway drug to the deadly parasite, modern healthcare

whose not yet aware of this?
    the sheeple

19. generally speaking, modern industrial food is a chronic poison
    industrial food is the gateway drug to the deadly parasite, modern healthcare

whose not yet aware of this?
    the sheeple

20. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 11:33 pm |

Grain Agriculture=Birth of Feudalism and death of Egalitarian hunting and gathering. I also think there are metaphysical aspects to eating grain related to its effects on consciousness through Candida albican’s effect on the hypothalamus. Many foods have drug-like effects. When you get off grains you experience a change in consciousness.

21. Ted Heistman | Oct 16, 2012 at 11:33 pm |

• I’ve been more or less grain free for at least 10 years, but I can’t say I’ve noticed much of a difference, nor any difference when I do eat it. I mainly stopped eating grains because they add too much weight. And when I was rigorously grain free, I weighed about 10% less than now, with the occasional beer, rice, pasta & bread helping keep the weight on.

I’ve also noticed that in developing countries like Thailand, Cambodia, et al, once the western diet becomes available they all begin to get wider & some taller. The Chinese are gonna give the Americans a run for their money on obesity, but they still have a long way to go.

22. BunkersTrust | Oct 17, 2012 at 1:32 am |

Wheat isn’t THE CULPRIT, but it is a culprit. The real culprit is the over consumption of food in the developed world. Adults eat far more food than is necessary to survive, we now eat mainly for pleasure & comfort and not for hunger.

Buddhist monks vow to not eat after 12 noon; they eat two meals a day before noon. They generally aren’t doing heavy labor and the really don’t need the extra food. Neither does anyone not doing heavy labor.

I have greatly reduced my food consumption & I still eat way more than what I need to live. I now only eat one meal a day, with two fruit & yogurt snacks a few hours before before and after, and no one thinks I’m skinny.

23. BunkersTrust | Oct 17, 2012 at 1:32 am |