Naomi Klein On Geoengineering

Naomi Klein. Photo: David Shankbone (CC)

Canadian Naomi Klein, still best known as the author of No Logo, decries the rogue geoengineering experiment carried out off the coast of British Columbia by Russ George, in the New York Times:

FOR almost 20 years, I’ve been spending time on a craggy stretch of British Columbia’s shoreline called the Sunshine Coast. This summer, I had an experience that reminded me why I love this place, and why I chose to have a child in this sparsely populated part of the world.

It was 5 a.m. and my husband and I were up with our 3-week-old son. Looking out at the ocean, we spotted two towering, black dorsal fins: orcas, or killer whales. Then two more. We had never seen an orca on the coast, and never heard of their coming so close to shore. In our sleep-deprived state, it felt like a miracle, as if the baby had wakened us to make sure we didn’t miss this rare visit.

The possibility that the sighting may have resulted from something less serendipitous did not occur to me until two weeks ago, when I read reports of a bizarre ocean experiment off the islands of Haida Gwaii, several hundred miles from where we spotted the orcas swimming.

There, an American entrepreneur named Russ George dumped 120 tons of iron dust off the hull of a rented fishing boat; the plan was to create an algae bloom that would sequester carbon and thereby combat climate change.

Mr. George is one of a growing number of would-be geoengineers who advocate high-risk, large-scale technical interventions that would fundamentally change the oceans and skies in order to reduce the effects of global warming. In addition to Mr. George’s scheme to fertilize the ocean with iron, other geoengineering strategies under consideration include pumping sulfate aerosols into the upper atmosphere to imitate the cooling effects of a major volcanic eruption and “brightening” clouds so they reflect more of the sun’s rays back to space.

The risks are huge. Ocean fertilization could trigger dead zones and toxic tides. And multiple simulations have predicted that mimicking the effects of a volcano would interfere with monsoons in Asia and Africa, potentially threatening water and food security for billions of people…

[continues in the New York Times]

, , , ,

11 Responses to Naomi Klein On Geoengineering

1. Stoppedby October 28, 2012 at 11:23 am #

She is Human.

2. charlieprimero October 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

Klein and her Conspiracy Theories. tisk tisk.

3. Ted Heistman October 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

I…fucking…hate…people.

4. alizardx October 28, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

As I recall the story, the “geoengineer” managed to collect $1M from Indian tribe… and IIRC, the iron compound he used costs about $300/ton… say, $30K… Delivery probably wasn’t all that expensive.

I don’t think this “experiment” is about saving the planet. As for the experiment itself, geoengineering needs to be tested at the lab scale BEFORE this stuff is done in the wild.

5. Bruce Miller October 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Another money grubbing Capitalist exploit for fast ROI with pis-poor scientific ‘suppositions’ to back it? Considering the “Crime Against Humanity” in Japan at fuckoshima the ‘dilution is the solution to pollution’ crime and the dissolving of nuclear wastes in water or acids or alkalies, then diluting them to “acceptable levels” for release to Oceans – backfiring now with bio concentration , bio accumulation coming into play and destroying Japanese fishing – their source of food! WTF!!!

6. Jono October 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Geoengineering is already happening on a massive scale and has been since at least the mid nineties thanks to the chem trail program! These sycopaths are spraying massive amounts of barium, aluminum and who knows what other chemicals/ heavy metals are raining down on us innocent, unsuspecting people. I have seen the planes spraying first hand and for the longest time I just couldn’t bring myself to believe this sinister shit was happening! No dout part of the social conditioning I was subjected to in school and society played a part in my scepticism of the theory of chem trails. Wake Up and smell the chemicals before we are all dumbed down to the point of no return!

7. Jono October 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm #