Oregon Farmer Eaten By His Pigs

Little more remained of hog farmer Terry Vance Garner than his dentures, the Guardian reports:

Oregon authorities are investigating how a farmer was eaten by his pigs. Terry Vance Garner, 69, never returned after he set out to feed his animals last Wednesday on his farm near the Oregon coast, the Coos county district attorney said on Monday.

A family member found Garner’s dentures and pieces of his body in the pig enclosure several hours later, but most of his remains had been consumed, the district attorney, Paul Frasier, said. Several of the pigs weighed 320kg (700lb) or more.

It is possible Garner had a medical emergency, such as a heart attack, or was knocked over by the animals, then killed and eaten, Frasier said, adding that at least one pig had previously bitten Garner.

42 Comments on "Oregon Farmer Eaten By His Pigs"

1. Legbertwow | Oct 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

Do you know what “nemesis” means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.Maybe he had it comin.

2. Legbertwow | Oct 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

• Calypso_1 | Oct 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm |

There really should be a transitive verb form of this word.  There used to be in Old English.  It would be quite nice to have nemecede someone.

3. Calypso_1 | Oct 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm |

“Will there still be sugar after the Rebellion?” ”No,” said Snowball firmly.

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm |

This is embarrassing, but I can never remember whether it’s red or white wine for a cannibal feast.

• Calypso_1 | Oct 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm |

It really depends on the cut of meat and how it’s prepared. Also if you take a look at my submission on the olfactory sense of psychopaths, it might not matter.

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm |

I only had one wee little observation about the olfactory thing:  that it’s probably the most invasive sensory field.  It’s association with taste is maybe interesting.

By eating, the subject of taste (and the closely allied sense of smell) becomes incorporated into the very physical being of the observer in a way that mere sight, sound or touch cannot.  For this reason it is the topic of some of the silliest, most absurd and arbitrary religious prohibitions and superstitions.

The person who cannot allow himself to partake of the smell of his surroundings in some way might well be emotionally disturbed or stunted.

But that’s all I could think of to add.

4. Rômulo Vieira | Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm |

I bet these pigs are gonna taste good after this.

5. Rômulo Vieira | Oct 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm |

I bet these pigs are gonna taste good after this.

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 3, 2012 at 6:34 pm |

Yeah, you know I think I read one version of this same article, from the BBC, and they made it sound like the family initially decided to keep this under their hats when they first discovered it.  Sounded a bit on the illegal side, to me, from a public health point of view.

6. Boy, what a bunch of pigs

7. Boy, what a bunch of pigs

8. I would bet that Terry Vance Garner did not taste nearly as good as bacon.

9. justagirl | Oct 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm |

that is totally gangster.  time for these to go to market hmm?

10. Anarchy Pony | Oct 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm |

Pigs are good for disposing of… things…
    Whoa! I didn’t realize that was in Coos County! That’s just one over.

11. Anarchy Pony | Oct 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm |

Pigs are good for disposing of… things…
    Whoa! I didn’t realize that was in Coos County! That’s just one over.

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm |

You must be thinking of the same mob movie that I am but can’t remember the title of . . .

• Legbertwow | Oct 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm |

Snatch

• Legbertwow | Oct 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm |

Snatch

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 3, 2012 at 9:24 pm |

Well that and the well known fact, among the rural/agricultural, that pigs will eat just about every part of anything even remotely edible.

My father grew up in North Dakota on a farm, and he told me a story about a farmer who lived down the road, who was a little older, who disappeared, and they eventually found the sole of his boot in his pig pen. They figured he had a heart attack and died, and the pigs must have eaten him.

• Killingjoke36 | Oct 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm |

Now we know what really happened to Hoffa! 😛

• reallyfunnyjoke | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:39 am |

Yes we do he’s been in the witness protection program hiding as a pig for years. Now he’s gonna have to move again thanks killingjoke36 (what joke is that the ha ha now the mob knows where you are joke?)

12. Nunzio X | Oct 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

Turnabout is fair play. I guess.

13. Matt Staggs | Oct 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

Anyone else think of that movie “Hannibal”?

14. Matt Staggs | Oct 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm |

Anyone else think of that movie “Hannibal”?

• Kind of. I was thinking of the book.

• Matt Staggs | Oct 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm |

Me too, originally. I figured more people had seen the movie than read the book. Did you care for either? I didn’t.

• Infvocuernos | Oct 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm |

From what I understand, Harris wrote Hannibal with the goal of making it so unpalatable that Hollywood wouldn’t want to make the movie.  Joke’s on him- Hollywood never balks at changing the story to make more money.

• I liked the book. Screw the movie.

15. I once saw a sow consume a dog.

16. There is a saying where I come from, “He went to shit and the hogs ate him”.

It is a very real risk.

17. turn about is fair play
    Et tu, Brute, said the farmer

18. turn about is fair play
    Et tu, Brute, said the farmer

19. Hadrian999 | Oct 3, 2012 at 10:04 pm |

can’t get the bricktop speech out of my head now

20. Oh, I see. Farmers are allowed to eat pigs, but…

21. Oh, I see. Farmers are allowed to eat pigs, but…

22. yesnoyesnosaynotosoybomb | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 am |

that is what he gets for being so delicious.

23. yesnoyesnosaynotosoybomb | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 am |

that is what he gets for being so delicious.