Republican: Slavery Was ‘Blessing In Disguise’ For Blacks

The sad part is there are probably millions of Republican rednecks who agree with him. Via Reuters:

Republicans in Arkansas are struggling to get past the controversy generated by a state lawmaker who wrote that slavery might have benefited blacks and a candidate who has advocated expelling Muslims from the United States.

The Republican politicians’ comments have been roundly criticized and have created an opportunity for Democrats ahead of the November 6 election. Arkansas has a Democratic governor but has voted Republican in the past three presidential elections.

In his self-published 2009 book titled “Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative,” state Representative Jon Hubbard of Jonesboro, Arkansas, writes that “the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise.”…

[continues at Reuters]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

98 Comments on "Republican: Slavery Was ‘Blessing In Disguise’ For Blacks"

1. "Big" Richard Johnson | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 am |

This is how far from sanity the Right wing has strayed.

2. "Big" Richard Johnson | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:36 am |

This is how far from sanity the Right wing has strayed.

3. Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:53 am |

I think this isn’t as dumb as trying to get me to pay reparations for slavery, being a white person living in 2012 with ancestors all North of the Mason Dixon line. I even have ancestors who supported the underground railroad.

It obviously wasn’t a blessing for the slaves to to be taken from their homeland, and chained to the galley of a filthy slave ship and then forced into slavery obviously. But are their descendants in 2012 better off than the average person living on the Congo or in Liberia?

Obviously this is a dumb thing to say but what if there is some truth to it?

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

27.4 percent of blacks in America were living in poverty (the overall poverty rate last year was 15.1 percent).  Median household income in 2010 was $49,445, a dip of 2.3 percent from the previous year. The median income for black households in 2010 was $32,068, down 3.2 percent from $33,122. The median income for white households also dropped, to a lesser degree, from $52,717 to $51,846, a decline of 1.7 percent.

In the 236-year history, it’s been only in the last 58 years I have been entitled to the same education as you (Brown v. Board of Education, 1954) and the last 48 years where I wasn’t viewed as a ‘subhuman’ (Civil Rights Act of 1964).  So, for the majority of this country’s history, blacks have not shared in all of the prospertity.

And no, I don’t want reparations; I want you to actually have an informed opinion.  You and this politician have never been me or “walked a mile in my shoes”, so how do you know how good my life has been?  How do you know what it’s like to be black?  I am intelligent enough to not make the same judgement about you.

And no, I dislike Liberals and Conservatives equally.  Labeling yourself, in my opinion, shows you aren’t smart enough to form your own opinion.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm |

I’m sorry man. I feel really sorry for you for being black. I have all this guilt. What can I say, I’m so privileged? What should I do? How can I handicap myself to make it fair?

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

Ted, I was only answering your question (“Obviously this is a dumb thing to say but what if there is some truth to it?”)  I’m sorry if I had the nerve to use facts to support my answer.

• Your defensiveness does lead me to suspect that deep down you do feel guilty.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

Actually I grew up poor and with a single Mom and for a while my Mom had a black guy living with her, who I got along with and kind of looked up to. My sister had a kid with a black guy, so my niece is multiracial.
            I didn’t do well in school because we moved around a lot. For a while We were on food stamps and our clothes weren’t designer. so i got picked on in school, especially this all Italian Jr. High school I went to. They all wore designer clothes and mine were from K-mart. I got bullied by some black kids and irish kids and Italian kids.

So I REALLY don’t feel I am from a privileged back ground compared to some random black dude. I think if my parents hadn’t gotten divorced I may have grown up that way, because some friends of the family, our Parents were friends with grew up in a nice neighborhood joined a country club etc. went to college and then went to work for a Insurance company.

But looking back I feel like I have more life expeerience than a kid that grew up upper middle class from a stable home. All white people aren’t rich. That’s almost like saying all jews are rich.

Lots of White people have shitty childhoods and lives. Many grow up in trailer parks with drug addicted parents. Many work at Walmart and rely on foodstamps.  Should they have ooodles of white guilt?

This whole white guilt thing really is just for rich white college kids studying sociology.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm |

…and rich black kids…

• I grew up with addictive, abusive parents, so I don’t feel privileged either, but that doesn’t mean I’m not.  Privilege is way more complex than stereotypical feminists make it out to be.  We live in a kyriarchy, not a patriarchy, and everyone benefits unfairly and suffers unfairly in different situations.

Kyriarchy is mostly sustained by internalized oppression.  One of my disagreements with both the left and the right (and center) is that each believes they know how to be free.  I’m not convinced that anyone even knows what freedom is… except maybe Jesus and Buddha did.

With all my personal problems, I’d almost certainly be dead by now if I was black.  That’s white privilege.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm |

How can you be so sure I haven’t walked a mile in your shoes? Have you ever donated a pair of shoes to Goodwill? if so I may have.

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm |

LOL!  I can’t help you there.  I’m the guy next to you at the Goodwill fighting over that pair!  🙂

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm |

• mysophobe | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm |

As if Africa’s current problems originated in a vacuum free from white European influence. Killing all the warriors and enslaving and removing the able-bodied people left behind tends to destroy a culture. It’s like saying it was a blessing that I kidnapped you from your house before I burned it down with your family inside.

4. Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 10:56 am |

My argument is that if slavery has benefited me, as a person from the North, living in 2012, then it must have benefited black people living in 2012 as well. Because We enjoy the same rights, with the exception of me not being eligible for affirmative action.

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm |

Same rights?  African Americans make up 13.6 percent of the U.S. population according to census data, but black men reportedly make up 40.2 percent of all prison inmates.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:10 pm |

why is that?

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm |

probably most of its drugs. Which the CIA pumped into inner cities starting in the eighties.Which most Left Wingers won’t acknowledge because then it gets into “conspiracy” territory.

• I’m largely with you on that one, but I think the abuse of slavery psychologically translating into child abuse in black families has more to do with it.  In fact, that’s probably the major cause of the the drug use.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm |

I think there is racial profiling by cops and I think in poor neighborhoods black kids turn to selling drugs in order to make money and then get picked up and locked up.

But I mean, you can choose not to sell drugs and join a gang. There is a way out. I think gangster hip hop culture is kind of a fucked up thing actually for a lot of reasons. I don’t know if it provides realistic role models. Of course I like Graffiti culture and that’s part of it. So I guess I am conflicted. Also white kids idolize Rappers too. But I think to them often its more like a game of dress up or a persona you can take on and off.

I think some black kids are like that too. But if you only know how to talk and act “street” regardless of the situation, your opportunities in life will be limited.

I agree its complicated.

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm |

I agree.  Both sides don’t acknowledge, Ted.  It’s not unique to the Left.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm |

umm, ever heard of cornel west? democracy now? they frequently have engaged this subject for a decade or more.

5. Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:04 am |

If you go back far enough most people have ancestors who were slaves. Spartacus was from Northern Italy and may have had blue eyes and blond hair. Lots of Caucasians were enslaved in the ancient world and even as recently as the middle ages many Irish people were enslaved by the Vikings and brought to what is now Scandinavia. Their descendants are now citizens of some of the most liberal and affluent countries in the world and all memory of slavery is lost and they consider themselves Danish or Norwegian etc.

• Whoop-de-fucking-do.

• Whoop-de-fucking-do.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

I just try to provoke people to think instead of knee jerk. This Republican guy seems like a douche, but if I can get some ideologically blinded left wingers(usually white middle class and over-educated) panties in a wad, I figure its time well spent.

But anyway its mostly because I think Left Wingers are racially prejudiced and don’t see it. Personally I don’t feel I have a “white man’s burden” to help the black man or the red man. I find that patronizing.

These are just old left over memes that have nothing to do with anything and articles like this are basically race baiting and fanning the flames to keep old animosities alive and you probably fall for it every time.

• Of course leftists are racially prejudiced–everyone in America is, it’s part of our language, philosophy, and the way we define ourselves.  There’s no way to escape it completely and still be able to interact with other Americans.

Individual whites don’t have any responsibility for slavery, but you have to realize something like that leaves the kind of massive psychological toll that affects people generations later.  Think of how harshly many black families treat their children.  Also, as wealth and poverty are both inheritable, modern whites (not all) do benefit to varying degrees from slavery, and modern blacks (almost all) do suffer from varying degrees of economic deficit.  Equal rights do not equal fairness.

Regarding reparations, how about we exempt blacks from any kind of income or capital gains tax for as long as their people were slaves?

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

Whose “we” ? You and Mitt Romney or you and Obama?

Good luck with that. There is no chance of it ever happening but I think it would be a really stupid idea to give people tax breaks by race. I think all it would do is create more animosity. You are saying that there is such a thing as racial guilt and that you don’t see people as individuals, but only as a member of a race.

You are a Fundamentalist of the Marxist stripe, IMO.

I think a better idea is to let race die of its own accord through miscegenation. Its a socially constructed category anyway, especially in this day and age of people flying back and forth across the globe. It has nothing to do with adaption to climates, like it did hundreds of thousands of years ago when all these superficial differences arose.

I knew if I pressed you guys you’d bring out more left craziness to balance this guys right craziness.  Its just two sides of a coin.

Yeah that will help working class white folks not be prejudiced. Have them take on the tax burden of blacks since they are so privileged!

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

Whose “we” ? You and Mitt Romney or you and Obama?

You are a Fundamentalist of the Marxist stripe, IMO.

• > Whose “we” ? You and Mitt Romney or you and Obama?

Yeah, ask to know my race while criticizing me for being more racist than you.  I’m not going to vote for either of them, by the way.  But then you’ve already labeled me so that my opinions are invalid, so there’s no use in me arguing against your prejudice.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm |

Um, no…That wasn’t what I was asking. I mean What do you mean by We as if you have the power to enact legislation. I think this “We” talk is silly. like “We invaded Afganistan” “WE beat the red sox”

I don’t think Obama gives a shit about about Black people any more than Romney, Muslims, either.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm |

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

Andrew,

I agree with Ted on reparations.  I don’t want a handout, and you certainly don’t owe me one.  Handouts won’t help the black community, but education will.  If you want to do something start there.

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

Andrew,

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm |

I believe in self education. I think the internet is making a lot of information readily accessible. So I do what i can to make sure it stays accessible and doesn’t get censored.

Basically I just believe in democracy.

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

‘I believe self education’ is a vague, empty catchphrase.  It sounds like one of the memes you spoke of earlier, Ted. Are you also ‘Tough on crime’ or for ‘Family values’?

The internet has only caught on since the early 1990s.  I think we need a little more time.

‘I just believe in democracy’, another empty catchphrase.  Are you running for political office, Ted?

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm |

‘I believe in self education’.  Sorry for the typo

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm |

I mean if a person is intellectually curious at all they have the resources to educate themselves. Public School is mostly about indoctrination.

• People also have the resources to self-propagandize.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |

case in point

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm |

case in point

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm |

Ted,

I agree that people need to think more, and with your characterization of Mr. Hubbard.  I have also seen many blacks and left-wingers who are prejudice as well.  The playing field may be leveled for all of us, but you must admit you had a bit of headstart over me (black man), considering my civil rights were only guaranteed within the last 50 years.  By your own admission in a later post, your ancestry stems back to early years of this country (over 200 years ago).

I agree this article was skewed to trigger a reaction.  However, I am not aware of anyone putting a gun to Mr. Hubbard’s head and forcing him to write his book.  I suppose his next book will be how white Europeans did the Native Americans a favor too.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm |

I grew up in a broken home and made grill cheese sandwiches with government cheese.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm |

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm |

My parents to this country legally as immigrants, worked unskilled labor jobs, and raised me in the projects until they could scrape together enough to buy a house.  And all without public assistance.  What’s your point?

• Rorschak10 | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm |

My parents came to…

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm |

Sounds like you are more privileged than I.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm |

Sounds like you are more privileged than I.

• Farticus | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm |

Thrace is nea the Hellespont, between the Black and the Agean Sea, nowhere near Italy.

6. Matt Staggs | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:47 am |

Jin_the_Ninja in 5…4…3…2…

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:52 am |

HA HA!

• JeenDaNeenjah | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm |

Goddamn fucking cunt colonial white Eurotrash capitalist pieces of shit!

• JeenDaNeenjah | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm |

Goddamn fucking cunt colonial white Eurotrash capitalist pieces of shit!

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm |

i absolutely would NOT use the word “cunt,” as it has a misogynist connotation and i am queer and pro-woman. the word “eurotrash” is highly suspect and although i have spent time in france, have franco-belgian family, and do not have a particular problem with it’s casual use, i think it’s use in a public forum is irresponsible as it evokes class discrimination and hierarchy, which as an anarchist i am opposed.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm |

i’ve always maintained republicans have thought this way. they’ve only made half-hearted attempts to contain it before . this is an attitude usually reserved for ‘behind closed doors’ and not aired in public, but obviously the regressive post-racial rhetoric has had an interesting effect: the emerging vociferousness of out and out racism. while an interesting story, i am frankly more shocked more repubs and the ‘post-racial’ lily-white dems who think this way haven’t come out before with things like this. but a close reading of any forum, even ‘progressive’ ones, usually results in reading opinions similar or parallel.

7. Matt Staggs | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:47 am |

Jin_the_Ninja in 5…4…3…2…

8. I hear this kind of thing a lot in South Africa. “Sure, settlers spent about 300 year systematically stealing people’s land, then enslaving and working to death said people, machinegunning them in ditches if they objected but it was all worth it… because now their decedents have the opportunity to learn english… and how to use a PC…  and make something of themselves.”

The logic stems from the belief that it’s impossible to learn english and how to use a computer if you’re too content sitting on your backside on your own land watching your crops crow and animals graze. The only way to become civilized is to have your society obliterated, your culture atomised and spend several generations serving your oppressor. Then you can become an MBA!

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm |

So what’s your solution to Colonialism? I mean sure that’s a rationalization. But what’s the solution for the legacy of South African Colonialism in 2012? Have all the white people “go back to Europe?”

Maybe, if you are a white south African, feel a lot of self loathing and guilt and act smug when other white people rationalize it?

Also whatever it is its not completely equivalent to the legacy of slavery and segregation in the US in 2012.

• Do you have a solution for it?  Besides pretending it had no lasting effect, that is.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm |

Yeah, look to the future not dwell on the past and keep old animosities alive like constantly picking a scab instead of letting it heal. Look at people through a post racial lense.

I mean, sure history and cultural background is all well and good. But I like looking to the future not “blood feud” bullshit. We are all in this together.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm |

• MoralDrift | Oct 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm |

agreed. History is instructive…however, the more you learn about it the more you learn that all the labels and divisions are complete fabrications to begin with.

• IokSotot | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm |

There is no solution to colonialism. its already happened.

I wouldn’t mind going back to europe but europe doesn’t want po white trash from the colonies. If a white south african wants to go back to europe he better be a member of the globalist jet-set who tends not to worry about that kind of thing anyway. My grandparents were born in the UK but I can’t get residency there unless I have a PHD in something very scarce or a $mil to “invest” in their financial system.

Its hard to tell how Africa, or the global “South” would have developed like without colonialism, seeing as there wasn’t a control group for that experiment. The whole world was subjugated by europe at one point or another. The only people who don’t moan about it are the descendants of those colonists that achieved effective total extermination of locals. And the Japanese. Japan is the only country in the world that was never colonised. Draw your own conclusions.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm |

Its all just fucking people. That’s how I look at it. Its all just fucking people.

• MoralDrift | Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |

The only reason Japan wasnt subjugated…well forgetting about their post war experience, was because they adopted the ideas and aspirations of the imperialists themselves.

• MoralDrift | Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 pm |

• IokSotot | Oct 9, 2012 at 1:34 am |

Japanese were smart in that they adopted Western technology on their own terms and lucky in that they didn’t have much the West felt was worthwhile taking by force. The point is they are one of the very few nations that can say they controlled their own destiny during the period of overt European colonisation and the results good considering they were non-european heathen savages.

• IokSotot | Oct 9, 2012 at 1:34 am |

9. Aoi Warai | Oct 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm |

What is kind of spooky, in contrast, is that this sentiment of Mr. Hubbard has been echoed not just by conquerors, but also by conquered peoples throughout history, who seem to internalize the values of their oppressors. All of the European colonial powers most English speakers are familiar with, were themselves colonized and nearly obliterated in ancient times by the Roman Empire. All Europeans are descendants of Celts, Gauls, and other indigenous Northern European groups, peoples that resisted but were eventually crushed and enslaved by Rome.

In fact, some European nations not aligned with Rome or Christianity WERE exterminated during the crusades, especially in Eastern Europe esp. the Balkans and Lithuania. All of those conquered peoples (who survived forced conversion) adopted the identity and cultural trapping of Roman Imperialism. Even today, our cultures are awash in Roman culture, from our structure of government to our architecture and religion (Christianity being the state religion of Later Rome). Look at any of the state buildings of London or Washington DC — the oldest still bear Roman Imperial regalia.

Another interesting facet of the slave trade that is often forgotten is the fact that African slaves were only the focus of slavery for the last 400 years of slavery. Prior to that, the majority of slaves in early American colonies were ethnic Europeans. The first slaves in North America and the Caribbean were primarily Irish or Scottish. In the Ottoman territories, the majority of slaves were Eastern European. We forget that the MAJORITY of people around the world are actually descendants of slaves from one historical era or another.

How many of those people remember their past enslavement? Forgetting such a past is the mark of true assimilation it seems.

• Ted Heistman | Oct 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm |

I think that’s what will happen eventually. It just takes longer because in America inter marriage was taboo for a long time, because of the English. But the French had no problem with it Early on. Hence Creoles etc.

• follow_the_piper | Oct 8, 2012 at 12:15 am |

Romans perpetrated a lot christian on christian violence too as most “barbarians” were already christians when they came into the territory of rome. goths and vandals were arian christians for example. it was the franks who adopted roman catholicism as their “state religion” who started a radical war against the saxons (still pagans) that lasted for 12 years. the lithuanians were attacked an smashed by the “Deutschritterorden” (engl. Teutonic Knights) in the 1300s.

• follow_the_piper | Oct 8, 2012 at 12:15 am |

10. DeepCough | Oct 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm |

Kinda ironic that a party that “freed the slaves” has become so staunchly whitebread, huh?

11. DeepCough | Oct 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm |

12. this attitude could explain
    why the Red Team is so anxious to enslave Americans
    with the use of Patriot Acts for Der Homeland
    because slavery is a blessing in disguise

13. this attitude could explain
    why the Red Team is so anxious to enslave Americans
    with the use of Patriot Acts for Der Homeland
    because slavery is a blessing in disguise

14. FirebrandCentral | Oct 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm |

A “blessing in disguise?” Are you serious man? Do you realize that complete cultures were destroyed, families were displaced, and you want to sit there with your privileged, redneck self, and speak for Blacks, as if they don’t appreciate the favor your forefathers supposedly did for them? And just for the record, slavery would STILL be legal if the confederacy didn’t try to eradicate the Union, by taking the unfair 3/5 compromise, and counting 60% of their “property” as “person” yet the slaves had no rights. People like this are not educated on truth, just their ignorant, ethnocentric side of the story. http://www.firebrandcentral.com

• Matt Staggs | Oct 8, 2012 at 8:18 am |

Hey @firebrandcentral, your comments keep getting caught in the spam filter. I’m pretty sure that it’s because you include a link to your website in your comments. If you’re interested in directing readers there, then the best thing would be to change your username to something like “firebrandcentraldotcom”. Otherwise, there’s  good chance that your commentary will keep finding itself in the land of wind and ghosts. 😉

• Matt Staggs | Oct 8, 2012 at 8:18 am |

15. This article is a nice toe-tapper.

16. This article is a nice toe-tapper.

17. What is with the mentality of ‘some’ white people and the concept slavery?  Do some white truly beLIEve that they are far superior than Blacks?  Some people will even as far to suggest that ‘some’ Black people are racist but Black don’t the power to make that happen.

I know White people would never allow themselves to submit to slavery by Black people.  Now there’s a thought!

18. What is with the mentality of ‘some’ white people and the concept slavery?  Do some white truly beLIEve that they are far superior than Blacks?  Some people will even as far to suggest that ‘some’ Black people are racist but Black don’t the power to make that happen.

19. I just wanna comment on the title of this article. First off, I do not buy into “left” or “right”, I just hate when they title articles in a way that buys into left and right when they are all the same. And im far from nationalist too, but an extremely large amount of shit that we all buy is realistically made by slaves so we ALL believe in slavery. Thats right, put them nikes on and shut the fuck up.

20. I just wanna comment on the title of this article. First off, I do not buy into “left” or “right”, I just hate when they title articles in a way that buys into left and right when they are all the same. And im far from nationalist too, but an extremely large amount of shit that we all buy is realistically made by slaves so we ALL believe in slavery. Thats right, put them nikes on and shut the fuck up.

• I don’t have Nikes.  I try to buy things made in the USA whenever possible, even when it costs more, and many times I just do without.  I don’t have a cell phone or smart phone, for instance.