Via Buzzfeed, activist Daneyvilla took an snapped photos as a veritable army of riot police cracked down on a demonstration by several hundred completely peaceful, largely middle-aged Walmart warehouse employees. From the workers’ website, the reason for the strike:

No one should come to work and endure extreme temperatures, inhale dust and chemical residue, and lift thousands of boxes weighing up to 250lbs with no support. Workers never know how long the work day will be- sometimes its two hours, sometimes its 16 hours. Injuries are common, as is discrimination against women and illegal retaliation against workers who speak up for better treatment.

39 Comments on "Riot Police Arrest Walmart Warehouse Workers On Strike Against Abysmal Working Conditions"

1. Riot gear and a Humvee against a group of middle age people performing a sit in?  Do they need a tank if they have a championship celebration riot?

“Gotta watch our for those downtrodden workers they’re shifty… Oh god lookout they’re leaning right at us!  Open fire!

2. Riot gear and a Humvee against a group of middle age people performing a sit in?  Do they need a tank if they have a championship celebration riot?

3. Yet another in a long list of reasons to boycott  ValDe Mart.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

must be my “asperger’s” again,  b/c i found that one clever and funny.

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

must be my “asperger’s” again,  b/c i found that one clever and funny.

• Calypso_1 | Oct 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm |

Jin The Aspie…

I really just don’t see it.
        You don’t flap your hands do you?

• Jin The Ninja | Oct 2, 2012 at 11:05 pm |

wildly.but perhaps i’m simply a flamer.

i also respond to compliments with rather impolitic accusations.

i think the diagnosis could go either way;)

• Calypso_1 | Oct 3, 2012 at 8:30 am |

HA! Damn you!  I really should not take pills with flaming hot coffee while reading replies.

…that’s cute html thinks choke is a tag : )

4. Captain Husaskin | Oct 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

I will never set foot in another Chinamart store.  Their management is despicable.

5. This is the kind of thing you hear about in China!  Typical Wal-Mart tactics.  We have one in our town that opened up a couple of years ago.  The workers are much more likely to use social services, the crime rate goes up, police are spread more thinly than ever,  the employees cannot afford health insurance, and the list goes on and on.  This is the workplace for young mothers, laid off middle age folks, and others who for one reason or another cannot find sustainable work.  I was laid off from my job of 20 years at 52 years of age, and was sure I would not get another decent job.  I landed on my feet however and got a pretty good job with nice benefits.  Its good to see folks fighting back and standing up for better wages and working conditions.  Best of luck to them all!

6. This is the kind of thing you hear about in China!  Typical Wal-Mart tactics.  We have one in our town that opened up a couple of years ago.  The workers are much more likely to use social services, the crime rate goes up, police are spread more thinly than ever,  the employees cannot afford health insurance, and the list goes on and on.  This is the workplace for young mothers, laid off middle age folks, and others who for one reason or another cannot find sustainable work.  I was laid off from my job of 20 years at 52 years of age, and was sure I would not get another decent job.  I landed on my feet however and got a pretty good job with nice benefits.  Its good to see folks fighting back and standing up for better wages and working conditions.  Best of luck to them all!

7. alizardx | Oct 2, 2012 at 6:55 pm |

Police intervening on the side of management against strikers? As we saw with Occupy Wall Street, it’s illegal to dissent against corporations who know which politicians and bureaucrats to buy.

• It is also illegal to box in their Executives’ limos in traffic and firebomb them.

Just sayin…

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 2, 2012 at 8:26 pm |

I wish I knew you personally.

• Well, if you ever find yourself in Florida (North Fla, at the moment but generally the Tampa area), let me know. I’d be delighted to have dinner or some bourbon with just about anyone.

That goes for BuzzCoastin too, but he’d have to wear a patch or something over that big eye of his, otherwise it would just creep me out the whole time.

8. Seems legit

9. Calypso_1 | Oct 2, 2012 at 7:12 pm |

I can see Jesus in the hearts of those riot police.

• When I finally get around to those cops, I’ll let you know what I see in their hearts.

Depending on the lighting it’s generally just a distorted reflection of a cheap novelty hockey mask…

10. Perhaps if the protesters were funded through social services, Walmart would be a little more lenient?

11. On my last two visits to Dr Homeland after being away for years
    I noticed that the cops had become militarized and ubiquitous.
    I live in China, commonly thought of as a Police State,
    compared to the US, they’re all Barney Fife,
    no guns and not around unless you call them.
    When it comes to stuff like this they’re the same,
    but on a daily basis they’re not around.

I don’t think the Chinese people would easily bear the oppression of US cops and
    I don’t think Chinese cops even dream of the unbridled power US cops have.

12. In the future, Wallmart distribution centers will become corporate prisons for Debtors…

13. Killingjoke36 | Oct 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm |

Truly the high cost of low wages.

14. Killingjoke36 | Oct 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm |

Truly the high cost of low wages.

15. Let’s face it, Wal-mart works deal with a lot.  In the warehouses, having electric forklift parts handy would be a treat.