Ted Turner: I Think It’s ‘Good’ U.S. Troops Are Killing Themselves

Piers Morgan: “Where do you think America’s place in the New World Order  should be? (emphasis mine) What should they be doing?”

Ted Turner:  ” I think the global policeman should be the United Nations.”

19 Comments on "Ted Turner: I Think It’s ‘Good’ U.S. Troops Are Killing Themselves"

1. AndThenSome | Oct 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm |

Completely agree with him on both counts. Go Ted!

2. auto5734955 | Oct 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm |

So why doesn’t this super-rich CNN founder give the American people the truth on his news network if he’s so opposed to the workings of the powers that be in pursuing wars for the profiteering elite. I smell a skunk.

• Daniel Reasor | Oct 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm |

CNN isn’t really Ted’s any more. Turner’s influence began to decline as soon as Time Warner acquired the network in a merger.

• he sold it a number of years ago. He’s occasionally expressed regrets as it degenerated into Fox News-lite.

• Let’s keep in mind that Turner sold CNN and then gave half of his total wealth to the UN. That’s putting a lot of money where his mouth is–proportionally much more than Gates or Buffet or any other elite-turned-world-saviour.

3. Simiantongue | Oct 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm |

I don’t think he was saying that soldiers killing themselves was “good” in and of itself. But that there remains some semblance of human conscience even in soldiers programmed to kill. I think his assumption is that they have trouble living with what they do, and that may be a “good” indicator that there is some “humanity” left in people. He made the point very badly however.

That aside I don’t like Turner very much so you can make what you like of his statement, I’m not going to defend what he says. That’s just my take on the sentiment that he’s trying to, not very eloquently, express.

• I dunno, I think he just dropped the mask and caught himself right before
      the murderous and contemptuous laugh of an elitist psychopath erupted, totally
      giving the game up.

4. Sonnenritter | Oct 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm |

New world order isnt a cryptic conspiracy, its just the standard polispeak phrase for the post cold-war liberal capitalist hegemony.

5. I agree with Simiantongue.Plus, are people hating on him simply because he’s rich? He is self made if that means anything. He’s not just some twit with a trust fund. He’s never been good at schmoozing. He tends to be brutally blunt.

• jimmy jazz | Oct 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm |

People are hating on him because he is on the record stating there are too many people in this world, and because his CNN was a mendacious propaganda “infotainment” rag. And now he has said it’s good the troops are committing suicides… Who knows what he really meant to say.

He is not self-made, unless inheriting daddy’s connections & money and expanding the family’s empire qualifies as “self-made”… Turner’s father was already a media mogul. Or, as Wikipedia puts it, “billboard magnate.” Perhaps people see Turner’s crude manners as the condescension of a guy who was born on third base and never knew real privation.

6. Hadrian999 | Oct 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm |

as it exists the UN can’t be a “world police” first most of it’s military operations are laughably pathetic second as long as the security council exists it will be what it was meant to be, an organization to protect old powers and old empires from any upstarts.

7. citizen_watch | Oct 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm |

I think it would be a “good” sign if the politicians who ordered the military to war were to off themselves. Same goes for the “defense” contractors.

8. I got the impression he was replying to another question.

9. BuzzCoastin | Oct 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm |

a billboard salesman to the end
    he knows what grabs attention & what sells
    and now
    a word from our sponsor

10. Dumbsaint | Oct 28, 2012 at 7:23 am |

I’d prefer the U.N to the U.S as world police.

11. Chris MacDonald | Oct 28, 2012 at 10:43 am |

So, so , SO out of context. Give me a break.

12. The reason they are committing suicide is from the guilt of killing for no real reason. Turner is right.