For U.S. conservatives, it’s time for lawmakers to stop beating around the bush and finally put a halt to the epidemic of mass shootings — by mandating the Bible in public school. Via the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a 2008 Republican presidential candidate who is now a pundit and host on Fox News did not mention guns, gun culture, or assault rifles in talking about the country’s latest mass killing, but said, “We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be surprised that schools would become places of carnage?”

Huckabee seemed to see church-state separation as responsible for the horrors Friday at an elementary school, where 20 pupils died: “We’ve made it (school) a place where we don’t talk about eternity, life — that one day we stand before, you know holy God in judgment,” said Huckabee.

As others were calling for a national discussion on guns, Huckabee said it is time to look upstairs. “Maybe we ought to let (God) in on the front end, and we wouldn’t have to call Him up when it’s all said and done at the back end,” Huckabee argued.

, , , , , , , , ,

85 Responses to On Fox News, Mike Huckabee Says The Sandy Hook Massacre Was Caused By Lack Of School Prayer

1. Ted Heistman December 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

I don’t think it would hurt. Go ahead and hate me. All the Greatest Civilizations were built upon the sacred. Simply acknowledging the existence of the Sacred, in a multi-cultural way, I think would be a good thing.

• echar December 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

sure, but which sacred should be allowed? What if destroying the sacred is sacred? I can’t imagine Gnostics, Atheists, and litteralists sharing common ground in the house of education. Even though it is well known that education today is more like the social engineering going on in houses of worship.

• Ted Heistman December 17, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

There is a common ground actually, if you study great civilizations, many parallels in mathematics and geometry.

• echar December 17, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

I forget Pythagoras and such. That style of perception comes easily to some, others… not so much.

• David Howe December 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

that’s nice. and those of us who know that there is no god?

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Go through the motions with a knowing smile. That’s what atheists with good breeding do.

• bobbiejoe December 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

OK. I hate you. I didnt see the bible or a belief in the supernatural protecting kids from being molested by priests.

• bobbiethejean December 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Are you against secularism?

• Ray Butlers December 18, 2012 at 7:52 am #

I’d say Ted is against sensible conversations. He fires rhetorical bombs and then blames those who are hit by the schrapnel.

• bobbiethejean December 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Id’ say that’s a fair assessment. Case in point: Quantum bigfoots.

• Andrew December 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

Schrödinger’s Sasquatch.

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

I thought it was superstring sasquatch.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Michio Kaku would be fascinated.

• Calypso_1 December 20, 2012 at 11:03 am #

You know now I’m going to have to post my story about encountering a transdimensional bigfoot.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I was driving down i75 late one misty night on my way to visit my girlfriend when I saw a figure standing in the road. Now, I was driving about 80mph and it was dark so damned if it wasn’t a fricking miracle that I saw the guy at all. I came to a screeching halt probably not more than thirty feet away from him. It was pitch-ass-black and foggy so even with my headlights on, I could barely make out any detail. Then the guy started moving closer, limping as he made his way towards me. The closer he got, the more I could see and the more I could see, the more it seemed like this wasn’t an ordinary man.

My first instinct was that this had to be a guy in a suit playing a prank. There’s probably hidden cameras around somewhere. This will end up on Youtube. There will be lots of hahas over it. Lol. The man hopped onto the Hood of my car and stared me right in the eyes. He looked exactly what you would expect a gorilla-human hybrid to look like. Huge nostrils flared, eyes blinked, brown irises, little black eye lashes, pores, sweat beading on its wrinkled, leathery forehead, muscle twitches, striations on the lips, white omnivous teeth yellowed slightly at the gumline, dull, black fur covering its entire body, thick on its shoulders, thinning out as it came down to his elongate, weathered hands, dirty fingernails…….. That was when I knew this was no man in a suit.

It only took me a few seconds to come to this realization and just as I was beginning to grapple with it, the damned thing vanished! It disappeared! Poof! Just like that. In the blink of an eye. It promptly reappeared on the roof of my car! I could see it through the moon-roof and I could hear it denting the metal with its considerable weight. It disappeared again and reappeared on my trunk then again by the side of the road. Then quite abruptly there were two of them, exactly the same no less! If I could have gotten a better look, I might have said they were the same being occupying more than one place in space at a time.

After only a few minutes, this bizarre phenomenon stopped and they or it vanished completely. Eventually I got my wits back about me and I drove away. As I drove on towards my destination, I realized that I might have just experienced the rare, quantum bigfoot. My body was suffused with absolute shock! I had always assumed such accounts to be utter nonsense. Yet there it was, plain as day, unquestionable, right in front of my face…. Schrödinger’s Sasquatches in the Mist.

I only wish I’d had the thought to get out my camera and take a decent blurry picture to submit to Disinfo. :

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

I think you just fed the Opticus. Opticus says “Yummy Loosh! MMMM!!!!”

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I have similar views on it as Nietzsche.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 9:33 am #

That doesn’t answer my question. Are you against secularism?

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

If you weren’t illiterate it would. I elaborated further on this same thread. Nuance is not your thing obviously.Everything must be yes or no with you. Here is my impression: You have decided I am against secularism. So anything I say you will retort than I am lying. So let me tell you what you want to hear. Yes! I am for instituting Sharia Law! So don that Burka Baby!

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Wow. I was just asking an honest question BECAUSE I did not want to assume. I wanted to ensure I was properly interpreting your words so I asked for clarification and this is what I get for NOT being presumptuous? I get accused of being stupid and illiterate? Nice. Reeaallll nice.

Furthermore, I am fairly well known for my attention to nuance both in my writings and in my art. I really don’t give a crap if you think otherwise because quite frankly, anyone with even a sub-functioning brain should have a fairly low opinion of what you “think” and I use that word lightly.

Long story short: I haven’t decided anything, I was ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION, which, incidentally, you still haven’t answered. Funny how you accuse me of assuming you’re against secularism (which I did not) when you assume that I assumed you’re against secularism. You’re projecting so hard you’re practically a Powerpoint presentation on all the finer points of how to be a jackass.

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Why does saying “I have similar views on it as Nietzsche” not answer your question? I mean if you want I could expound on that. But you really seem to want ONLY a yes or no answer. Simple binary logic. I mean God either exists or he doesn’t right? I mean why have more than two answers for everything? Too confusing! So how am I wrong? You don’t want a yes or no answer?

What if I actually do have similar views on the subject as Nietzsche?

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

I don’t know what your views on Nietzsche are, genius! Dafuq is wrong with you!? Why the crap would you assume I know what your views on Nietzsche are and thus know how the fark that pertains to your views on secularism? And for the love of all things holy, could you please stop trying to sneak in ways of calling me stupid? It’s getting really tiresome and at this point, laughable, Mr. Quantum Bigfoot.

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Well you could have asked me to elaborate.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

I care about as much for knowing your views Nietzsche as I do for getting hit in the face with a sack full of dermatitis jam-ooze scooped from the sweaty, unwashed buttocks of a thousand hardcore rightwing rednecks- which is to say, I don’t want to know. If it were anyone else, I might be curious but knowing you, you probably think Nietzsche is an immortal elf demi-god reincarnation of Napoleon Bonaparte employed by the government to keep us from discovering the truth that Soilent Green is poor black children from Zimbabwe who were secretly masterminding a global warming conspiracy to keep us all enslaved to our fear so we don’t notice the quantum entangled bigfoots stealing all our left socks which the government DOES NOT secretly use to fund the war on Christmas- move along now, there’s nothing to see here.

I asked you a simple question because I was curious about your stance on secularism. I don’t need to know what you think about Nietzsche, or what you like to do in your spare time, or how you like to get boned up against a wall, or what your favorite color is, or any other irrelevancies you can pull out of your bum.

Wanting a simple answer doesn’t make me stupid. It doesn’t mean I’m ignorant or simple or incurious. It means I just want a simple answer so I don’t have to don my text-wall goggles and sort through 8 pages of Nietzsche-themed blitherblather to suss out what your !@#$%^&*ING opinion on secularism is.

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Its a complex subject.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

This comment originally said “it would probably just have confused you.” I see you edited it to be nicer but it still says roughly the same thing. I’ve told you to stop calling me stupid. Just because I don’t agree with you that there are quantum bigfoots popping in and out of existence or that we have souls or that Ceiling Cat is watching me masturbate doesn’t mean I’m stupid or incapable of complex thought or nuance-blind or whatever other nonsense insults you want to scrape from the bottom of your ass.

• VaudeVillain December 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Don’t feel bad about the original version: it was entirely accurate. It almost certainly would have confused you. It would almost certainly confuse me too. It would sure as fuck confuse Teddy, and he doesn’t even have the excuse of not living in his head.

Since he apparently wants us to speculate on his views about secularism (why the fuck else would he refuse to even outline them beyond a vague reference to Nietzsche?) , my wild speculation is that he doesn’t believe in secularists – which is weird, because he believes in goddamned everything else – in the most literal sense. He honestly believes that secularists are figments of some imagination out there, existing entirely to convolute the mystical reality our reptilian overlords hide from us and… um… I admit, I have no clue where this shit is going. Kind of like I have no clue where anything Theodore writes is going. that must be the connection I was trying to make… I think… it’s hard to keep track of things when you’re imaginary or whatever.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Ahhhh. That makes so much sense! Thank you. I have been enlightened. :P

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

Be Sangfroid. Maintain equanimity at all times. Try it as an experiment.

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Not all simple questions have a simple answer. And not being on trial, I have no need to reply to questions with only yes or no.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Are you trying to be as obtuse as possible or does it just come naturally?

• Ted Heistman December 20, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

You really do miss a lot. I don’t think its so much lack of intelligence as cognitive dissonance. Anyway, you seem to get really angry about your pet topics, anything related to militant atheism, positivism etc. And you seem to approach differing view points as if they are all alike. Like everyone that is not a militant Neo Atheist Dawkins clone obviously has some type of Faith position and is some species of Fundamentalist Christian.

Its tiresome, really.

• bobbiethejean December 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

That is absolutely untrue and I’m not even going to bother trying to defend myself because if that’s what you think of me, then there’s no point. Anything I say will just be classed as more Neo atheist Dawkins-parrot claptrap. Nice stereotyping there, dude.

• Tuna Ghost December 26, 2012 at 10:52 am #

That’s a really good way to avoid having to answer an uncomfortable question. I think my 10 year old niece used it to great success just the other day.

• Ray Butlers December 18, 2012 at 7:51 am #

except that there is no God.

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Do you equivocate sacred & divine?

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Yeah, probably. I like to equivocate, persiverate, gesticulate, expectorate, etc.

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

In that order?

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

yes. Then I micturate. But not on the rug. Especially if it “ties the whole room together”…

• InfvoCuernos December 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

I need a better dictionary.

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Just watch the Big Lebowski! More fun than reading the dictionary!

• Ted Heistman December 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm #

Allan Bloom (atheist) paraphrasing Nietzsche (atheist) commentating on Modern life:

“Nietzsche said the newspaper had replaced the prayer in the life of the modern bourgeois, meaning that the busy, the cheap, the ephemeral, had usurped all that remained of the eternal in his daily life.”

2. echar December 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

I am glad he’s vocal about his insanity. I hope he alienates more and more.

• andrew31g December 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm #

Seriously, at least I know who and who not to respect now.

3. Anarchy Pony December 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Cause, you know, no one’s ever killed anyone while high on Christ.

4. Will Coles December 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

I think all violent deaths on Earth are due to the physical presence of Mike Hukabee, if we kill him now we can save millions of lives. I think it’s worth a try.

• echar December 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Throw him in the bog of eternal stench!

• Sabbatha December 19, 2012 at 12:22 am #

Teeheehee

5. andrew31g December 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

DOUCHE BAG

• echar December 17, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Please don’t insult douche bags by relating them to Mike Huckabee. Besides I seriously doubt that he is lemony, nor fresh.

• andrew31g December 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Haha

6. Dingbert December 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Prayer in schools? VA has school prayer. It didn’t help at VT. Assault weapons ban? CT has an assault weapons ban. It didn’t help at Newtown. Access to psychiatric care? Holmes was a neuroscience student at a medical college. It didn’t help at Aurora.

• DeepCough December 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

VA does not have school prayer, because that would be in violation of this thing called the “Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom,” which is over 200 years old. But your point is valid nonetheless.

• Dingbert December 20, 2012 at 9:48 am #

True. It’s a daily “moment of silence.”

7. BuzzCoastin December 17, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

So let’s see if I got this straight,
    God would stop students from killing people at school
    if kids would frequently pray to Him?
    God sounds like He needs serious psychological help.

I’ve never quite got a handle on the concept of a Supreme Being needing something from me.

• BunkersTrust December 18, 2012 at 12:24 am #

He’s not saying God needs prayers to stop killing; he’s saying that if kids would only spend more time praying they’d spend less time shooting and killing. He’s got a point.

• him15et2 December 18, 2012 at 8:16 am #

amen, bunker!

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children.”
        (Hosea 9:11-16)

Bullshit. Jesus is a baby killer. If You don’t love him in his ‘special’ way, he’s going to kill you and yours.

• InfvoCuernos December 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

“like a thief in the night”! The bible is chock full of child killing. From Abraham almost killing his own son at God’s whim, to the passover masacre, to god allowing all those innocent babies to be murdered by Herod when he was trying to take out the baby JC, I really get the impression that god isn’t a big fan of kids.

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm #

That and the ‘He who Knows You in the Womb’ is the greatest provider of abortion services on planet Earth. 50% of fetuses down the tube.

• GeauxGhoti March 4, 2013 at 1:42 am #

Don’t forget 2 Kings 6:29 “So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next
            day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son.”

The morality of the religious…

• GeauxGhoti March 4, 2013 at 1:42 am #

day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son.”

The morality of the religious…

• Joan December 21, 2012 at 1:01 am #

No, he doesn’t have a point. The shooter wasn’t an elementary school child. If all the kids in that school were on their knees praying, it wouldn’t have changed what happened. What Huckabee said is stupid. Just plain stupid.

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

I’d be happy to write God a script for Geodon. That’s the go to for the geriatric cases.

8. DeepCough December 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

No, we have not removed “God” from our schools: you’ll notice it’s still in the Pledge of Allegiance.

9. Haystack December 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

As a good Christian, it is only natural that Mike Huckabee should honor the fallen children by treating them as a talking point on cable news.

WWJD, you know?

10. emperorreagan December 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

I think praying schools is about as likely to prevent such acts of violence as either the principal carrying a gun or trying to pass some sort of gun control is.

11. InfvoCuernos December 17, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

You guys are misunderstanding: he’s not saying that God would have saved them, he’s saying that if they believed in God they would have gone to heaven. Instead of regular little victims, they would have been Martyrs.

• Ray Butlers December 18, 2012 at 8:01 am #

even douchier

• InfvoCuernos December 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

12. DrDavidKelly December 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

I wonder how he’s going to prove that statement?

13. BunkersTrust December 18, 2012 at 12:40 am #

Faced with what they know is available for learning outside the classroom, panic shooting is bound to erupt when kids are confined in such a small information box.

Today’s kids have an opportunity to obtain the broadest and fullest education possible, something that couldn’t be bought for any price even 20 years ago; if they don’t die in the excruciating transition from one paradigm to another.

14. Michael Mock December 18, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Devalue right and wrong into gray areas, devalue the future of education by firing millions of American workers while promoting the value of education, bringing in millions of non-Americans to take the jobs of Americans during one of the worst times in American History, removing the backbone of American culture and the warnings of our forefathers, attacking the Constitution of the United States, A President who is a compulsive liar and doesn’t care, the removal of a value system for our fallen warrors throughout the years and the power of our unity, the American Flag, and leave a void of nothing has allowed everything to fill in the gaps as they see fit. Greed to over for our politicians, Buy A Vote Welfare politics was born, and yet most people forget that most of the 40 million people from Mexico are Christians? Schools were turned into teach the test lies and the grades began to drop thirty years ago and they still continue to drop today and yet the Government continues to use the school system to indoctronate our children, not teach them choice. And you wonder what’s wrong? We didn’t have these problems before, did we? We had God. I don’t know what your thinking but think about this. This sort of, so called disaster, goes on every day in Socialist Countries all over the world and you people don’t so much give a dang. But it comes to your front door and your amazed? Like I said, education is a funny thing. Perhaps some of you need to go and read some of the older history books that still tell the truth about what goes on, instead of the ones the Government uses to shape the minds of your children today? Did you know they are different? Then all these other Countries used this stuff to take the guns from the people and then you have what you see today. More people are killed by their own Socialist Governments than all the people, killed in all the wars, since time began. (and if you think that isn’t a true statement, look it up) Especially you socialists out there who really feel that by killing God and replacing it with Islam it’s going to save you? Wrong! Islam doesn’t forgive anything. Jesus Christ Forgives all. As we turn into what Obama and the Democrats want for the Nation, the more of this you will see. Just wait for the statement, you can’t take care of yourselves anymore so we have to step in and do it for you! Support a Democrat and see just how long that takes to come about. Support Middle America.

• Ray Butlers December 18, 2012 at 8:00 am #

I hate your freedom

• Calypso_1 December 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Eigenvalue writes to wrong grayscale areas are useful for defining future values of decausification by kiln firing the proletariat-umwelt whilst variable transformation matrices bringeth umwelten of gate-limited phenotype into the semiosphere providing edge value detection for human resource value added source targeting.
      [Insert C.D.TTS] vertebrectomy [Insert clanking chains C.D. MARLEY] TRUTHREDACTEDBury me in the cold, cold ground you Johnny don’tcome around herelately and light up a fag to fill the void of something no more but a vexation for your tattered flag manifold. Manifest always as a destiny that you once believed in SO HOLY. Never seeing the Whore on the Hill. aXlTIAN Death
      Mistress, seducing you to her shroud. Carry your naked man/godhood on a stick.
      We didn’t have these problems but you did. Just waking up sleepy boy? YOU Had nothing… Your disillusionment is nothing. Your grief is nothing. More immature hominids die every DAY in gory glorious USofA car crashes than in this one ultimately insignificant crime. 7000 worldwide a day. Where is your outrage your god your politics ranting left right left right Marching to Zion
      to Babylon to a mythos stamped on you by your masters to brand. To BRAND You are Capital. We are not amazed. Vaguely amused at times. Forgive yourself for looking across the
      waters of Lethe towards Mnemosyne. You own a projectile weapon. Very nice.
      You are not alone in such. But perhaps
      comrade you are preaching to the wrong choir.

15. Threedinium December 18, 2012 at 6:39 am #

“We’ve made it (school) a place where we don’t talk about eternity, life — that one day we stand before, you know holy God in judgment.”

“…I counseled fifteen-year-old pregnant girls who were afraid to tell their parents about their condition…”

Don’t even want to know how you went about that.

16. him15et2 December 18, 2012 at 8:18 am #

Kwanzaa, Kwanzaa, Kwanzaa Kwanzaa…

17. Free Radio Revolution December 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Good old religion…. Has an answer for just about everything!
    What does god look like? Well children he looks exactly like us (a bald ape).
    The earth is indeed the centre of the universe, the world was created in 6 days and dinosaurs walked the earth with man. God listens to our prayers (mostly because he wants to hear what a bunch of apes in a tiny speck of sand on an endless desert – the universe – want). God listens to you but… Sometimes he doesn’t answer our prayers because he has “a plan”. That plan is quite simple and in full effect – allow .01 % to control the 99.99 %… Indeed the very fellow who has a direct phone line to god -the pope- happens to be the richest of them all! How convenient!
    I love to hear about religion… It’s just too much fun! Humans are funny people. Not only do we blindly adhere to some old texts that were written a couple thousand years ago in some half baked desert by a bunch of zealots that thought hurricanes, tidal waves, droughts, famine, warfare etc… Are all just caused by a vengeful god for punishment on the non believers or those damn Sinners – We still think that same god (or his son or his Holy Spirit or his virgin mother) is someday gonna free us from the crazy world we created (or he… With his plan I guess). Makes sense…
    2000 years later and we have Mike Huckabee…
    Religion is nothing but vanity. We’re not special at all. One god? One sun… Hmmmm.. Makes sense! I bet the ‘real’ god is just some retarded being that only knows how to create energy and matter…
    Whatever floats your boat…

18. David Howe December 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Whenever I go to Target, I look for Huckabee’s book. I then put all the copies in my cart and head for Feminine Hygeine and put him on the shelf with the other douchebags.

19. Gerel Gruber December 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

If I pray hard enough will Mike Huckabee go away?

20. Greg M December 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

I consider myself a Christian, but people like Huckabee are EXTREME hypocrites!!! Huckabee and his type will whine all day about lack of morality in America, and at the same time have no problem with and even advocate our government’s foreign policy of bringing death and destruction upon millions of people throughout the middle east, all for their precious Israel and to fulfill Biblical prophecy. Fundamentalist hypocrites like Huckabee make me sick!!!!

21. dskfgmn December 19, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

So he’s now a proponent of Sharia Law? Which is all any good muslim wants to do – force everyone to follow their religious beliefs.

BTW – Mr Huckford, the “separation of church and state” is part of the First Amendment. So your drive towards Sharia Law is illegal in the USA.

22. VaudeVillain December 20, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

Obviously, had the students been on their knees praying, they could more easily have taken cover when the assault rifle wielding psychopath busted in. Clearly the lack of school prayer is entirely to blame. Huckabee is a fucking genius.

23. madmonq January 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Isn’t this pretty much what Fred Phelps says about America?