Sales Of Assault Weapons Skyrocket Following Sandy Hook Shooting

It turns out that a school massacre is better than any advertising that money can buy. The Hartford Courant reports:

Some gun retailers this week are reporting a spike in store traffic, in excess of the usual holiday rush, in the aftermath of the Newtown murders. Since Friday’s shooting, customers have crammed parking lots and thinned out inventories.

Doug Odishoo, owner of Delta Arsenal in Meriden, said, “As soon as this shooting happened on Friday, I almost sold out of everything. Saturday I couldn’t keep up with it.” He said people walked into his shop, looking at the AR-style guns and saying, “I better get one before I can’t.”

Resurrected talks of gun control, some shop owners said, are pumping up the market for rifles, especially AR, or assault rifles, like the Bushmaster’s civilian version of the military’s AR-15 that Adam Lanza used on Friday at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

In Worcester, Mass., at Pullman Arms, co-owner Alicia Merritt called the jump in business “dramatic.” She said she did $30,000 in business on Monday — up from a usual Monday of about $2,000. Most of her sales, she said, were assault rifles, though she said she was also selling a number of handguns. “People want ARs because people are afraid there will be a ban on assault weapons,” Merritt said. Like others, Pullman Arms said it was running low on inventory.

11 Comments on "Sales Of Assault Weapons Skyrocket Following Sandy Hook Shooting"

• Papa PopGuru | Dec 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm |

I’d shudder having to live in a society that needed either.

• Opposite Day | Dec 20, 2012 at 11:17 am |

I agree wholeheartedly. But this is a reactionary measure that only exists as a solution because there is an ongoing problem. We shouldn’t need guns at all, but if bad guys have them (this includes our own government) then the good guys should also.

• Yes having the kids caught in a cross fire sounds much safer.

• Opposite Day | Dec 20, 2012 at 11:11 am |

The least likely of scenarios. Do you think the children are going to be moving around while a nut job is shooting in the school? No, they are going to be huddled together in a corner somewhere or under a desk or on the floor with their heads facing down. In Israel every school has this system in place, armed personnel are there to protect the children if anyone were to try and pull the same shit that happened at Sandy Hook.

• The least likely of scenarios. Do you think the children are going to be
          moving around while a nut job is shooting in the school?…Ever watch the footage of the columbine shooting? 85% of the kids panicked and ran. Also using Israel as an example is a poor choice, the United States is nothing like that Apartheid run strip of sand.

1. "Big" Richard Johnson | Dec 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm |

I have to make sure nobody can revoke my MAN CARD!

Because having external genitals apparently isn’t enough to prove I’m a male.

2. BuzzCoastin | Dec 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm |

monkey see
    monkey do
    somethings about herd psychology never change

3. My name isn't important | Dec 20, 2012 at 1:20 am |

I’m not scared because I have a gun, or maybe, I have a gun because I’m scared?

4. I just sold my AR for a nice profit. The guy was stocking up on them and already had several.

A gun shop I used to frequent in Roanoke has a picture of Barack Obama and a caption that reads: “Gun salesman of the year.” Ain’t that the truth?

5. AR-15 = civilian version of the m16. AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle after the company that designed it, not assault rifle. The Ar 15 is not an assault rifle, the governments m16 is.