The Weird World Of Outsider Music

In this clip from DisinfoTV on DVD we visit outsider music expert Irwin Chusid, who introduces us to Harvey Sid Fisher, BJ Snowden and others whose music defies description.

Subscribe to Disinformation’s YouTube channel.

Disinformation

Disinformation

disinformation®­ curates the most shocking, unusual and quirkiest news articles, podcasts and videos on the web, most of which are submitted by the site’s visitors.
Disinformation

Latest posts by Disinformation (see all)

14 Comments on "The Weird World Of Outsider Music"

1. VaudeVillain | Dec 13, 2012 at 2:06 am |

I feel vaguely uncomfortable with having watched that…

2. Capt. America | Dec 13, 2012 at 8:55 am |

Thats it! I moving to Canada, see you suckers!!

3. Rickenbacker4001 | Dec 13, 2012 at 9:25 am |

I wish this was in a specialty channel package. I would watch these videos all the time.

4. Nickopotamus | Dec 13, 2012 at 11:01 am |

This segment to me was always seemed ridiculous because this music isn’t exactly “outsider” or intentionally bizarro- it’s just amateur music from regular people. If you were to approach these people thinking in the vein that this music is so offbeat and peculiar you’re more than likely to offend or hurt them because they think they’re just doing regular stuff. I think labeling it outsider music was just a way to “cool-ify” something to make it more interesting.

• Liam_McGonagle | Dec 13, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

What’s wrong with “coolifying”? It’s not like any of these are likely to become chart toppers any time in the near future. All art is “artifice”, by definition. Seems like harmless puffery to me, at worst.

• kowalityjesus | Dec 14, 2012 at 10:48 am |

it brings a perspective which induces consciousness. Art that is performed with a consciousness of how you appear to an audience is ruined. It’s almost like contacting remote indigenous tribes. Though there must be some degree of immunity to that effect for these people to have continued on like they have been (I am jealous).

• You really think that hand fart guy would have been offended?

5. I like the hand fart guy.

6. The Canada song reminds me of Dadaism.

7. Apathesis | Dec 13, 2012 at 6:14 pm |

BJ Snowden used to substitute teach at Chelmsford High School. She was crazy, weird, and funny. Also, she is a Berklee College of Music graduate.

8. I heart .BJ & the Canada song.

9. jesus for a video about music the audio quality on this is pretty terrible