Hunter S. Thompson: A Day in the Life

I couldn’t find a date on this AP article (above) which chronicles a day in the life – and in the cups – with Hunter S. Thompson. His love of Chivas on full display, Thompson also stresses the importance of a big breakfast – what else would one expect from a proud son of the Bluegrass State?

I found this through Julia Segal’s Tumblr.

There is definitely a drinking game spin-off begging to stumble through this impossible-seeming itinerary.

While you’re at it, check out this cover letter a young Thompson wrote to the Vancouver Sun in 1958,

Stay Awake!

Joe

, , , , , ,

10 Responses to Hunter S. Thompson: A Day in the Life

1. Aaron January 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

There are some amazing excerpts from HST’s excursions in South America in The Great Shark Hunt, I’ve posted some here: http://aarondames.squarespace.com/non-fiction/2011/8/28/hunter-s-thompson-the-great-shark-hunt.html

2. Gabriel D. Roberts January 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Love it! I wouldn’t do it for fear of a heart attack, but I love it!

• Joe Nolan January 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Your brain, son! What about your precious, precious braaaaiinnn!?!?!?

• Gabriel D. Roberts January 16, 2013 at 12:11 am #

I’m so glad you care, Joe Nolan. You will be happy to know my brain is made for this sort of shenanigal weisenheimeritude.

• Joe Nolan January 16, 2013 at 1:39 am #

Seems the damage has already been done #anotheronebitesthedust ;)

3. DrDavidKelly January 15, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Yeah BS. It’s the Duke’s itinerary – not Hunter’s. And he aint real. Not many writers could even afford that lifestyle let alone function. I noticed there was no time allotted to fucking. Still the best thing you can do without any clothes on.

• mole_face January 16, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

There was definitely a lot of mythmaking involved in Hunter S. Thompson’s public persona, but I believe this list. Hunter was known to be cripplingly dependent on alcohol. When he had hip surgery, the doctors had to wake him up immediately after the procedure to put alcohol in his system to prevent fatal DT seizures. Flooding your body with heavy doses of a neurotoxin for decades isn’t conducive to intellectual pursuits, and it was probably the biggest factor contributing to the gradual decline in his writing abilities.

4. Doug Brunell January 16, 2013 at 9:06 am #

I read that lady’s book. Pretty nuts, but great.

• Joe Nolan January 16, 2013 at 10:02 am #

The one about the pets in casts?

5. bongoidz January 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

i would have passed out before breakfast