The Fine Art Of Archaeological Hairstyling

Seeking to see other millennia when you look in the mirror? Janet Stephens is a master of what she calls forensic hairdressing — shown via a series of YouTube videos, she ingeniously recreates elaborate coiffure from ancient history, including the style of Roman empress Julia Domna, the Flavian-Trajanic “circle of hair”, and the complex braiding of the priestesses known as the Vestal Virgins:

Historical hairdressing tutorials based on archaeological research and primary sources.

10 Comments on "The Fine Art Of Archaeological Hairstyling"

1. Interesting, thank you.

2. Interesting, thank you.

3. BuzzCoastin | Jan 13, 2013 at 9:44 pm |

6 months ago I decided to obtain a better understanding of Rome’s history
    reading about 10 books & listening to a few hours of lectures
    not one mentioned the vestal virgins, that I recall

interesting in that I read about a lot of other cults & temples
    but not one word on this

• Calypso_1 | Jan 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm |

They are discussed by both historians of antiquity (Plutarch, Titus Livius) & numerous contemporary writers.

• BuzzCoastin | Jan 14, 2013 at 12:55 am |

skipped Livi for his commentators
        don’t recall any emphasis on them in Plutarch Roman Lives
        I could only find a refernece to one mention in Volume 4
        their mentioned once in Everitt’s The Rise of Rome p. 128
        Early Rome and the Etruscans has one p.32
        not mentioned at all in Georgics
        without the tedium of a bibliography
        let’s just say there seems to be a tendency
        to not mention them and their roll

• DeepCough | Jan 13, 2013 at 11:47 pm |

How could you not know about the Vestal Virgins? The mother of Romulus and Remus was a Vestal Virgin.

• BuzzCoastin | Jan 14, 2013 at 12:56 am |

I didn’t say I didn’t know of them
        I said they don’t seem to receive much attention
        in anything I’ve recently read

4. DeepCough | Jan 13, 2013 at 11:49 pm |

The Vestal Virgin: for those ladies out there who are so serious about abstinence that you want your hairstyle to say, “If you fuck me, you will suffer a horrific death.”