Great, we spent all that time and money so we could find out this terrible news. Via io9:

Remember that Higgs-like particle that scientists finally managed to pin down last year at the Large Hadron Collider? According to Joseph Lykken, a theoretical physicist at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, the mass of the Higgs boson indicates that “the universe we live in is inherently unstable, and at some it’s all going to get wiped out.”

After last year’s Higgs discovery, he performed a calculation that indicated the potential for a quantum fluctuation — an event that would create a lower-energy state bubble that expands at the speed of light and “sweep everything before it.” He predicts that it won’t happen for many tens of billions of years.

20 Comments on "An Alternate Universe Will Eventually Annihilate Ours, Higgs Boson Discovery Reveals"

1. Sure they aren’t accidentally tapping into the mathematics of social change?

2. LucidDreamR | Feb 23, 2013 at 3:42 pm |

I’m not so inclined to fall into the “destroying us” idea; as much as I’d think it’s a sign that all these theoretical dimensions may not be as separated as we might currently think. Perhaps there’s little bubbles constantly expanding and popping all throughout our known universe? Granted: I’m far from being a theoretical physicist…

• The problem comes when you assume the bubbles aren’t permeable

• LucidDreamR | Feb 24, 2013 at 10:25 am |

Definitely along the lines of what I was thinking. I wish I had the math skills to work out these theories myself. Though I guess when you consider how it all starts to break down at the quantum level anyway…

3. DrDavidKelly | Feb 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm |

Maybe in a few billion years we’ll be creating our own universes and an event such as the one described above will be common place and quite avoidable?

4. For a sollipsist, this is would be a proclamation of their impending murder.

5. Hadrian999 | Feb 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm |

i like how warren ellis tells it better

6. BuzzCoastin | Feb 23, 2013 at 7:29 pm |

Phew! glad to here dat
    hard to believe that people thought spending all that money on the BHC was a boondoggle

7. “”A little bubble of what you might think of as an ‘alternative’ universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us,” Lykken said.”

I wonder if that’s what the Big Bang was?

• Why not? Thermodynamic equilibrium dictates that stable universe would have the same temperature throughout. That would require an equal distribution of matter meaning no stars, no black holes and a uniform distribution of matter everywhere. Since this is a core principal of thermodynamics we already live in an “unstable” universe and it has been that way long before the solar system even formed.

8. chinagreenelvis | Feb 24, 2013 at 1:23 am |

I love how uncertainty in science always leads to certainty in headlines.

9. Monkey See Monkey Do | Feb 24, 2013 at 9:02 am |

“A little bubble of what you might think of as an ‘alternative’ universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us,” – Bong anyone?

10. Too long to happen, I am waiting for a Zombie Apocalypse.

11. Hurry up already, I’m bored.

12. THETRUTHYOUFEAR | Feb 26, 2013 at 3:14 am |

THIS IS A LIE!

13. Alternate universe? Does that mean there is actually a ‘ multiverse ‘?

14. Jeremy Parks | Mar 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm |

We did that to a previous universe.

15. nedmorlef | Mar 3, 2013 at 5:43 am |

again after millions of dollars we find ourselves right back where the Bible left us.

16. martisco | Mar 3, 2013 at 9:43 am |

Peter Bishop will save us.