Christopher Dorner: Unanswered Questions Surround LAPD Manhunt

Christopher Dorner with ex-LAPD Chief William Bratton

The news media can’t get enough of the LAPD’s manhunt of alleged cop-killer Christopher Dorner, himself a former LAPD officer. For some interesting commentary check out Davey D’s Hip Hop Corner:

All eyes are on Christopher Dorner the fired LAPD officer who is the subject of a massive manhunt that involves more than 1000 cops up and down the state of California and in Nevada. He’s accused of gunning down three people including Monica Quan, a popular basketball coach and the daughter of a former LAPD captain and her fiance Keith Lawrence who is described as mentor to many and recently graduated from a police academy.

Dorner’s also accused of shooting 3 police officers killing one in Riverside California…In an 11 page manifesto that he posted on-line, Dorner lays out the reasons he’s on the rampage and why he’s down to take out his fellow officers and their family members. He feels they are racist, unfair and done him dirty by tarnishing  his name and reputation.  In this manifesto which is an epic read, he describes in great detail a department that is corrupt  and more violent than the streets he was assigned to patrol…No matter how this turns out all of us should be asking a whole lot of questions and not resting until we get solid answers..You can read an uncensored copy of that manifesto HERE

Mainstream Media Coverage-Who Do they Work For?

Let’s start with media coverage? Does the media work for the people with the goal of getting the truth out or do they work for the police? I was surprised when media outlet after media outlet printed the Manifesto written by Dorner with all the names erased. The rationale was that they didn’t want to endanger the lives of police officers by printing their names because Dorner was targeting them..  Let’s say we buy that argument… Does that policy extend to other areas and to other citizens? After all, we live in an era where we’ve seen media become more paparazzi-like and go on all out crusades publishing people’s names addresses etc, invading folks privacy and sparking controversy to push a particular cause under the guise they are ‘just reporting the story‘. It hasn’t seem to matter what impact it had on those they highlighted. But in this instance a document that already been seen by thousands, they erased the names. Are such decisions made case by case by media outlets or only with the police?

Since many in the media opted to take out the names leaving many in the dark about who may or may not have done any wrong doing as alleged in the in the manifesto…

[continues at Davey D’s Hip Hop Corner]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

32 Comments on "Christopher Dorner: Unanswered Questions Surround LAPD Manhunt"

1. Hadrian999 | Feb 9, 2013 at 11:35 am |

at this rate the lapd will have shot more people by accident in the manhunt than dorner has on purpose

2. I’ve seen pics of US cops and they manage to look more militarized than the guys from BOPE or GARRA here in Brasil. Police here in Brasil is underpaid and under equipped, one time they decided to make protest for get a raising and the governor release more cops against then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHjh2rAcf80 imagine that happening in US with all tha paraphernalia.

3. There are certainly some important questions that need to be asked about the behavior of the LAPD leading up to and during this “crisis” as well as the media coverage.

But I think it is also important to point out the valid criticisms of Chris Dorner, himself. The man has specifically threatened and carried out threats against individual police officers as well as the specific agency of the LAPD.

Clearly the man lacks imagination and motivation.

• His manifesto is not the ravings
      of a simple “mad man’, but a literate and succinct statement of
      grievances and of justifiable outrage.

A reasonably ordered society can
      not allow lethal, vigilante justice. That is rejected by all
      legitimate courts. That leaves no justification for the deaths he
      has alleged to have caused ….or those that could happen. If he is
      as well trained with survival skills, well supplied and physically
      conditioned that has been profiled… he is a seriously dangerous
      individual.

There is nothing that indicates
      he was less than a competent, honest law officer. But at some point a
      trigger was pulled and the outrage at the system and the well armed,
      martial competences he had as well as an intimate knowledge of
      police procedure all got together in the “avenging angel” persona
      doing righteous justice he imagines himself to be..

Writing him off as a garden
      variety crazy whose writings are meaningless is making a serious
      mistake.

• “Writing him off as a garden variety crazy whose writings are meaningless is making a seriousmistake.”

I have done no such thing.

But unlike you, I see no problem with repaying men in their own coin.

My compliant is his failure to dream big enough dreams.

• InfvoCuernos | Feb 9, 2013 at 6:57 pm |

Give him a little time-he isn’t caught yet.

• TennesseeCyberian | Feb 10, 2013 at 3:51 am |

Can’t wait, fanboy.

• Hope springs eternal.

Plus the longer he’s out there, the more opportunity there is for others to target the Little Boys in Blue and pass it off as Dorner’s work.

He can take all the time he needs, as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be happy to reassess things after all has been said and done.

4. It’s not the least bit surprising that the LAPD is working closely with the media to control the “message” that goes out to the public. In many ways, the LAPD are a brutal, racist and corrupt institution. The last thing they want is bad press. Anything that may cause doubts in the public mind about the ethics of the LAPD must be neutralized.
    It’s a no-brainer that they would portray this guy as just another unhinged wacko, and his manifesto as the ramlimgs of a violent and disturbed mind. “Nothing to see here, people, move along.”
    My guess is, that they will more than likely kill the guy; that they way they have more control over the information that goes out to the public. There will be no investigation into the deeper systemic/structural causes that may have caused this guy to snap, and things will go back to business as usual.

• Smith Smith | Feb 10, 2013 at 9:06 am |

As long as we do everything we can to ensure that he’s not held personally responsible for this then everything will be okay.

• I don’t think Juan is trying to absolve him from any blame, but merely point out that the media work with the cops to obfuscate context. This reminds me how the media worked with the feds in 2008 to completely ignore the context behind the near-financial crash, and focus on a few ‘bad apples’. The problem here is not outright lies in the media, it’s clever wording and serious omissions.

• Hadrian999 | Feb 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm |

hopefully this helps break the police cult the media has been selling for decades……it wont but we can hope anyway

5. InfvoCuernos | Feb 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

It seems to me that LAPD has been out in the open for a while now with their record of violence and corruption. This is just one more example that the sheeple will ignore so they can sleep better at night. Its pretty obvious that the LAPD have a shoot on site order against this guy, which points to them not wanting him alive to testify in a court. Right now his story is just a “manifesto”, and if you want your story ignored completely and blanket labeled “wacky shit”, all you have to do is call it a manifesto. If he can make it into court, and survive to trial, and if the trial is open to the public- all very doubtful-then maybe some scapegoat will get suspended or maybe fired for a week and then rehired.
    One thing is for sure, if I were LL Cool J, I would stay way the fuck out of California for a while.

• Hadrian999 | Feb 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm |

so far a white man and 2 Hispanic women have been shot mistakenly for Dorner, if the lapd actually sees a bald black man they likely to call in a drone strike

• InfvoCuernos | Feb 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm |

Those cops are acting like coked up drug cartel enforcers now. I wouldn’t want to be in LA right now. Drone strikes, I’d laugh if it weren’t possible.

• Apathesis | Feb 9, 2013 at 6:44 pm |

Over forty shots hit the cab of the blue truck that was mistakenly attacked by LAPD. Another 20-30 hit the tailgate. Not to mention the other vehicles hit and the houses that were hit by police bullets. Those poor women.

Absolutely terrifying.

• InfvoCuernos | Feb 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm |

Even if this guy did everything they are accusing him of, the cops are going waaay too far in the response. It is terrifying-and disgusting. The LAPD needs to be disbanded and the feds need to come in investigate everything and people need to be held accountable for this. They need to rebuild that police department from the ground up. Will it happen? probably not-at least not until the revolution starts.

• Apathesis | Feb 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm |

I totally agree. If I were a cop there, I’d hand over my badge in disgust.

• Hadrian999 | Feb 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm |

I want to know if it’s a surveillance drone or if the lapd has full blown predator drones

• LL Cool J! ROFL! I thought I recognized his face somewhere!

6. Phillipede | Feb 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm |

I don’t think I’ve come across anyone in the last few days that buys the whitewashed bullshit that the newstainment media outlets are pumping out. Thanks to social media outlets and the interwebs on the whole, there are enough people out there who are aware of what’s really going on.

Besides, I’m pretty sure most people already know that the LAPD has a long and colorful history of hiring the unstable into their ranks and then turning them loose on the public. Maybe, just maybe, and it is unfortunate, that this may be what it takes to finally get something done about it.

7. f_galton | Feb 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm |

Certain comments in his manifesto suggest he’s gay.

• TennesseeCyberian | Feb 10, 2013 at 3:58 am |

Dorner’s paragraph on lesbians is hilarious:

“Those lesbian officers in supervising positions who go to work, day in day out, with the sole intent of attempting to prove your misandrist authority (not feminism) to degrade male officers. You are a high value target.”
      Meaning he plans on shooting uniformed chicks with crew cuts? But before anyone gets carried away and accuses Dorner of being the H-word who commits hate crimes, he also writes this:

“Ellen Degeneres, continue your excellent contribution to entertaining America and bringing the human factor to entertainment. You changed the perception of your gay community and how we as Americans view the LGBT community. I congratulate you on your success and opening my eyes as a young adult, and my generation to the fact that you are know different from us other than who you choose to love. Oh, and you Prop 8 supporters, why the fuck do you care who your neighbor marries. Hypocritical pieces of shit.”

Which parts were you referencing, Galton?

• Having a bull-type as a supervisor is a pain in the neck.

• TennesseeCyberian | Feb 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm |

You know, I’ve had butch supervisors on numerous occasions and had no problems with them. Yet in academia, every other lesbian (shout out to the pleasant half!) gave me a hard time for my white male cis gender privilege. Which should have been embarassing for them, but was certainly annoying for me.

So which parts of Dorner’s manifesto set of the gaydars?

8. BuzzCoastin | Feb 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm |

as psyops go I was gonna give it a 5
    but I see that this is the second piece of disinfo on Disinfo about this
    so I’d have to upgrade my rating to a 9
    I always forget that Keystone Kop psyops work best on Homelanders
    they luvz their cops & robbers there

9. Smith Smith | Feb 10, 2013 at 9:04 am |

“Today, as that recent roll call suggests, the 9,314-officer LAPD is a different place. Like the city, it is less than half white; one in five officers is a woman, and Hispanics make up roughly a third of the department, with their representation even greater in the lower ranks, reflecting more recent hiring.” http://articles.latimes.com/2006/apr/17/local/me-lapd17

An article written around the time Dorner was hired by the “racist” LAPD. Tell me, if out of nearly 10,000 people a few do wrong does that mean they’re all evil? Is the best course of action to kill innocent people that have nothing at all to do with his getting fired four years ago?

• TennesseeCyberian | Feb 10, 2013 at 6:39 pm |

No, it is a retarded response. And his fanboys are equally retarded for applauding.

10. I suppose they’ll try to use this event to drum up support for Drone Strike Assassination on US soil of an American citizen without having to wait for trial.

11. Marina Meadows | Feb 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm |

Plz Explain to me WHY NONE resources are use to STOP Corruption and Corrupts??? That is why this is what happening to my family and many, many families all over USA for Protesting on the Streets and expose Corruption and Corrupts, still we are KILL w/out GUNS!! We have been”Kill Alive”because of the Retaliation of some JUDGES! Read my tweets at pradera123 Watch video & make it Viral, so it does not happen to anybody else! Spread, Share The Truth: in YTube /IR7b6uiofjg Plz watch this short video it is the product of the retaliation of some of the Judges…..It took us over 10 Years to upload, because we are blocked mostly everywhere! Begins in Spanish for a minute.. folows in English Read tweets at pradera123 or join my FB page TheMeadowsFmly at aol Unfortunately Blocking us to shut us up! Manipulating my mail, internet and ph(305)788-7679 with ATT, but My family exist! WE ARE NOT “SPAM” If everything blocked perhaps you can Google my name: Marina Meadows We are in need of Urgent Help !! No wonder they have been having our family in the “dark”, But we need to come to the light and tell the World about what is been done to us, how even used our medical records to hurt us!!

12. charlieprimero | Feb 11, 2013 at 5:54 am |

Mainstream media serves the State. Nothing new.