NASA’s Curiosity Rover Finds Unexplained Shiny Object On Mars

A mineral deposit? Crystal formation? Abandoned alien ray gun? Universe Today writes:

The Curiosity Mars rover has imaged a small metallic-looking protuberance which projects a shadow on the rock below. The image was taken with the right Mastcam on Curiosity on Sol 173 — January 30, 2013 here on Earth — and was pointed out to us by Elisabetta Bonora, an image editing enthusiast from Italy.

The protuberance seems different than the rock on which it sits – it could be composed of material more resistant to erosion than the rest and similar material could be within the rock, or it could be something that is “grown” on the rock. It looks fairly smooth, and is not covered by dust as is the case for metal surfaces that tend to clean easily.

17 Comments on "NASA’s Curiosity Rover Finds Unexplained Shiny Object On Mars"

1. Swamp gas

2. I’m sure there’s some abiological explanation, but to me that looks surprisingly like a budding Reishi mushroom.

And I have raised a few of those.

3. Tchoutoye | Feb 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm |

Most likely something that fell off Curiosity itself.

4. I know, it’s either swamp gas, a weather balloon, the planet Venus, a flock of birds or a baby’s arm holding an apple;)

5. f_galton | Feb 8, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

It’s the bony finger of a Martian reaching out of its grave.

6. lifobryan | Feb 8, 2013 at 9:21 pm |

Damn! I’ve been wondering where I dropped that thing …!

7. InfvoCuernos | Feb 9, 2013 at 12:32 am |

looks like the head of a ball peen hammer to me, but I tend to believe it was probably just some debris from some of our space junk.

8. disqus_WyTd7uM3F1 | Feb 9, 2013 at 11:07 am |

It’s a Martian Joint-holder

9. von brauns SS cigarette holder

10. Thats an iPod 1, Jobs has been there…

11. Phillipede | Feb 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm |

I think it kinda looks like a little foot. In reality it’s probably just more space trash, which makes me think that first contact will most likely involve some sort of fine for all the junk we’ve discarded into space.

12. its wall-e’s foot. they’ll pull him out next week.

13. It looks to me like it might be a metallic meteorite, with the ground eroded from beneath it, leaving the conical point it’s suspended on. It’s hard to tell with the fuzziness of that pic.

14. Ah, I knew I left that somewhere.

15. How is this remarkable? We can see similar phenomena in our Earth rocks.

16. Is this the ‘big announcement’ they were going to unleash upon us, or is that still forthcoming?

Bit of a damp squid if it is.

17. Does anyone else find it curious that this photo is coming to us from an “image editing enthusiast”? Is it confirmed that this is the original image from the rover?