Audio Recording Of Bradley Manning Speaking At Military Tribunal Leaked

Despite a strict ban on recordings and transcripts at the secretive proceedings, the Freedom of Press Foundation has gotten a hold of a covertly-made tape of Manning’s full speech to the court explaining his motivation for leaking classified government materials. He remarks:

“I am the type of person who likes to know how things work. And, as an analyst, this means I always want to figure out the truth. Unlike other analysts within the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, I was not satisfied with just scratching the surface and producing canned or cookie cutter assessments. I wanted to know why something was the way it was, and what we could to correct or mitigate a situation.”

“I began to become depressed with the situation that we [the U.S. military] found ourselves increasingly mired in year after year…we became obsessed with capturing and killing human targets on lists…[I wanted] society to reevaluate the need or even the desire to even to engage in counterterrorism and counterinsurgency operations that ignore the complex dynamics of the people living in the effected environment everyday.”

“I knew that if I continued to assist the Baghdad Federal Police in identifying the political opponents of Prime Minister al-Maliki, those people would be arrested and in the custody of the Special Unit of the Baghdad Federal Police and very likely tortured and not seen again for a very long time – if ever.”

“I read more of the diplomatic cables published on the Department of State Net Centric Diplomacy. The more I read, the more I was fascinated with the way that we dealt with other nations and organizations. I also began to think the documented backdoor deals and seemingly criminal activity that didn’t seem characteristic of the de facto leader of the free world.”

18 Comments on "Audio Recording Of Bradley Manning Speaking At Military Tribunal Leaked"

1. Someone needs to print up some “Bradley Manning 2016” bumper stickers.

2. Anarchy Pony | Mar 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm |

Hero. Anyone that says otherwise is a fascist imperial tool, that I am willing to headbutt in the face! And I have a high risk for retinal detachment.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm |

I like the information that he released but personally I have no use for people like him

• Hadrian999 | Mar 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm |

• MoralDrift | Mar 14, 2013 at 10:33 pm |

well if you like the information then you have some USE….

• Hadrian999 | Mar 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm |

that’s why i said “personally” I regard him the same way cops regard snitches and intelligence officers regard assets, useful for info but that is all, I could never actually trust him.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm |

• so being loyal to a small group of people is more important than being loyal to a larger group of people? sure, makes sense!

• Hadrian999 | Mar 15, 2013 at 3:24 am |

I care about personal loyalty, loyalty to abstract groups is irrelevant to me.

• Hadrian999 | Mar 15, 2013 at 3:24 am |

I care about personal loyalty, loyalty to abstract groups is irrelevant to me.

• Well, apparently, that wasn’t looked nicely upon in the past. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Defense

• Hadrian999 | Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 am |

organize your personal circle however you want, I only have serious dealings with people with unquestionable loyalty to group/family/clan whatever you want to call it , trust is everything. getting screwed over because of some grand cause is no comfort. “the greater good” can be used to rationalize any action no mater how craven or base

• Hadrian999 | Mar 15, 2013 at 3:52 am |

3. BuzzCoastin | Mar 14, 2013 at 8:17 pm |

interesting that a guy on trial for being a spy
    has his trial statement leaked by another government spy
    which indicates that the violation of privacy goes both ways
    and the more Uncle Homeland knows about us
    the more wee know about Uncle Homeland
    and despite Uncle Homeland’s ginormous spending on top secrecy
    the secrets leak out anyway

• nature abhors a vacuum

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 15, 2013 at 3:16 am |

If this wasn’t an intentional leak, they’ll be forced to hunt this person down. And given the audio clues left on the recording, that shouldn’t be too hard for even the CIA.

But nonetheless, it does show that the invasion of privacy is a two way street, with about equal & random repercussions caused by the leaks.

4. Reuben_the_Red | Mar 15, 2013 at 12:17 am |

Manning uncovered evidence of war crimes and evidence of coverups of those war crimes, and passed it (not “leaked” it, that’s when the White House does it anonymously, i.e. “unnamed White House officials said today…”) to the press and other journalistic organizations around the world–because it was the right thing to do. Because he found the government’s own records of their own WAR CRIMES.

*It was the right thing to do.*

Bradley Manning did the right thing. Is he a hero? How does anyone define that? Did the Iraq war end earlier than it might have otherwise? Yes. Will American and Iraqi lives be saved as a result? Sure. So maybe he contributed to saving some lives. The more important thing is that he did the right thing, when everyone else was mindlessly following orders.

And as is the case with any good whistle-blower in our Age of (dis)Information, they’re throwing the book at him. More prosecutions of whistle-blowers under Obama than under Bush… It’s called “manufactured consent.” We consent to everything that we don’t know about or can’t know about, even in the information age, and in order to maintain the illusion of democracy, people in power must continue to manufacture as much consent as possible.

But ultimately it’s embarrassing for government officials when the world finds out that those leaders and officials and generals had knowledge of war crimes, coverups, etc, all along. It’s extremely embarrassing to the American government anytime the American people have proof that their government is lying to them, yet again, and that’s why everyone has been working so hard to not talk about it at all, or to create diversions with wild and unfounded accusations of “terrorist” and “traitor” and “aiding and abetting the enemy,” which is pure hogwash, but nonetheless somewhat effective on the weak-minded. The freakin’ State Dept. banned anyone within the government who reads about it or tweets about it or talks about it. Bradley Manning is one very embarrassing thread, and everyone is trying not to tug too hard, lest the whole sweater come undone. Just lock him away for the rest of his life, and if we have to have a trial at some point, keep it as quiet as possible. Done and done.

5. Kyle Weller | Mar 15, 2013 at 10:55 am |

what I find interesting is that he tried and tried to report these crimes within the military’s own system, and after being ignored and not taken seriously he did what he and many good people believe is right by going up above them. What he did was right, I believed time served is the best punishment at this point. There always needs to be a way to report war crimes or crimes against humanity, and him being censored is also a crime, there is no excuse that his concerns while left in the military were left unanswered. He really had two choices, shut up and do your job or say something and attempt to save lives. Bradley Manning believed with all his heart that what he did was right and any more non-action would cost more lives.