The mayor’s tone suggests that mere mortals are helpless against a coming onslaught of drones, The Verge reports:

Governmental use of unmanned surveillance drones has inspired a lot of concern about privacy, but New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg thinks the battle’s already over. In a radio interview this week, Bloomberg said essentially that drones are an inevitable part of our future (and maybe our present), comparing them to the thousands of cameras already located around Manhattan.

Striking a tone more of resignation than endorsement, Bloomberg said that our future includes more visibility and less privacy: “It’s not a question of whether it’s good or bad. I just don’t see how you can stop them.”

38 Comments on "Mayor Mike Bloomberg Says Surveillance Drones Will Soon Be Everywhere In New York City"

1. Liam_McGonagle | Mar 26, 2013 at 10:17 am |

Okay.
    Some dude walks onto an airliner carrying 8 oz of cologne, and the full force of the federal government comes down upon his head.

Meanwhile, hundreds of remotely controlled predator craft are allowed to freely stalk the most densely populated urban center in North America, which is still sh*tting itself after another aircraft incident that occurred over a decade ago.

Makes sense to me.

2. Matt Staggs | Mar 26, 2013 at 10:27 am |

Spider-drone/nobody knows where you are….

3. “Don’t you love farce?
    My fault I fear.
    I thought that you’d want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    But where are the drones?
    Quick, send in the drones.
    Don’t bother, they’re here.”

4. Anarchy Pony | Mar 26, 2013 at 11:18 am |

Does he have any kind of self awareness at all?

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 26, 2013 at 11:36 am |

fatuous billionaire NYC gasbags almost never do…(ahem batman).

• Anarchy Pony | Mar 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm |

I always got the sense that Gotham was sort of a stand in for Chicago, and that Metropolis was New York.

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 27, 2013 at 9:54 am |

i agree that could be true. there is the whole noire /art deco/mobster thing that really works if set in chi-town.

5. Scanning the area for pot smokers and people with cups of soda 4 ounces over the limit. Meanwhile bankers help launder drug cartel money nobody cares about that.

• kowalityjesus | Mar 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm |

The question remains for New York, when will the load of “uncool” outweigh the load of “cool”? There is still quite a ways to go, but I think every step of moronic regulation is a pacification of the spirit which makes the city cool. There is something numinous about it, an electricity in the air…it can be capitalized upon indirectly but it cannot be bought.

6. Geoff Henry | Mar 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm |

He really said “I just don’t see how you can stop them?” How many things are wrong with that?

7. If it drops cash for lucky winners & zaps the loosers, America will be watching.

• the whole world will be watching If it gets down blouse shots.

• emperorreagan | Mar 27, 2013 at 9:59 am |

That’s almost assured. When I worked at Target, on the occasions I had to go to the security office that’s what all of the security team was usually up to – following attractive women around the store with the cameras.

And a local cop here was busted for putting a camera in the boys’ restroom at a local high school. Wonder what he was looking at…

8. LucidDreamR | Mar 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm |

My hat is off to the first hacker to turn these on their master’s

• InfvoCuernos | Mar 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm |

The Iranians have already hacked a military one, and those primates can’t figure out nuclear weapons that we built back in the 1940’s with slid rules.

9. Bryan Ortez | Mar 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm |

Political figures like Bloomberg have the knowledge that people like them will be mostly immune to a permanent surveillance state. These drones will be used to keep eyes on the streets, I don’t see how it’s much cheaper. Even if you catch a serious crime, it’s not as if you don’t also have to launch an investigation, arrest, charge, arraign, plea, imprison, appeal, probation… and on an on.

• All politicians, cops, and authority figures are to have their own personal drone. These drones are for transparency and keeping them honest.

• Bryan Ortez | Mar 27, 2013 at 6:40 am |

haha if that were the case, then Bloomberg would not be saying they’re unstoppable.

10. Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird of the air may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say.” (Ecclesiastes 10:20)
    And from the same author of the above, Solomon the Wise, we are told there is nothing new under the sun.

• InfvoCuernos | Mar 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm |

I thought “nothing new under the sun” was a Shakespeare quote-maybe he stole it, that would fit the spirit of the phrase.

• kowalityjesus | Mar 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm |

Will you be angry with me if I quote Muhammad: “There is no greater jihad than to speak truth to unjust power”

• I would bet a balance of both those attitudes would be ideal. I would admit Muhammad’s saying sounds more “spiritual” I find my self rarely agreeing with what I’ve read by Muhammad but that is a very cool quote. Thanks for that. 🙂

11. Why does it say there are 13 comments here?

12. $23802000 | Mar 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm |

george orwell’s grave rolling is going to cause an earthquake pretty soon

13. BuzzCoastin | Mar 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm |

Bloomy has said something profound here
    he’s acknowledging that The System has a mind of it’s own
    and he is merely a servant of & not in control of
    The System

14. InfvoCuernos | Mar 27, 2013 at 12:44 am |

Maybe now they can catch the guy that hosed the entire city of New York down with feces and urine.

15. geminihigh | Mar 27, 2013 at 9:09 am |

At what altitude will most of these drone operate at? NYC already has a very strict airspace management plan. I think one private helicopter is allowed to be aloft over the city at one time, just for safety’s sake. How long before the hipsters start rigging dental floss and fishing nets between buildings to ensnare the drones, just for sport? Thats something the people of NYC can do to stop them, Mr. Joob- excuse me, Bloomberg.

16. Darlene S. Esser | Mar 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm |

If you think Bryan`s story is impossible…, last pay check
    my cousins friend who’s a single mom basically earnt $5101 just sitting there
    fifteen hours a week at home and their buddy’s mom`s neighbour was doing this
    for three months and brought home over $5101 part time on there mac. use the