Which Worldview Fears What?

Yale Scientific Magazine presents a fascinating Myers-Briggs-style test of what your societal fears reveal about your political and personal orientation. As a bonus, the amusingly-true chart of what people expect hierarchist communitarians, individualist egalitarians, etc., to look like:

“Cultural cognition refers to the tendency of people to fit their perceptions of risk and related facts to their group commitments,” says Dan Kahan, professor at Yale Law school and a CCP researcher. Researchers in the CCP measure people’s “worldviews” along the two dimensions of hierarchy-egalitarianism and communitarian-individualism.

This framework relates to the theory of anthropologist Mary Douglas, the originator of “the cultural theory of risk.” The theory postulates that people’s perceptions of risk should reflect and reinforce the combinations of values defined by the intersection of these two “worldview” dimensions.

50 Comments on "Which Worldview Fears What?"

1. Of course! Because the world is two dimensional. Now I get it! Thanks, academia!

• Garrett Schaefer | Mar 22, 2013 at 10:27 am |

This made me smile.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 12:42 pm |

Well, joeQpublick is so down with high dimension multivariate data sets.

• This reminds me of something I saw in a book Titled Memetic Magic http://www.amazon.com/Memetic-Magic-Kirk-Packwood/dp/0974945005

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 2:49 pm |

Interesting
          That image is a 2-D visualization of a dataset processed by a self-organizing neural network creating vector clusters that unveil boundary conditions in matrices of higher order topological groupings.
          In other words it is low level AI engaging in an emergent process that would otherwise call for humans to attempt some serious analysis.
          Now taking a cursory look at the book you reference I can’t help but wonder if there would not be significant possibilities of cross-conceptualizations between these realms.
          Have you read the book?

• I did. By your description I can say that there can be cross-conceptualizations.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

I will read it, but if you have the time would you mind providing your own description of the work…a bit of cross pollination.

• It’s like a modernized or transformed version of sigils. My mind is linking Farber’s the Book of Atom with this as well, also the work of La Foley. I feel that memetic magic and AI can be interchangeable or cousins perhaps. it’s been a few years since I have read both books mentioned. That’s the best I can do with verbalizing what I understand about it. here’s a link to the scribd of memetic magc http://www.scribd.com/doc/43387323/Packwood-R-Memetic-Magic-Manipulation-of-the-Root-Social-Matrix-and-the-Fabric-of-Reality

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm |

I’ll have this book read by the end of the evening. If you would be interested in coauthoring an article with me email matt for an address. I think getting into some of the aspects of higher order scientific visualization/art/occult/AI/ viral memetics would be interesting. I’ve also been pondering a bit what you said about the ‘licks’ that fall on false flesh, the human connectome project, the future of psychosurgery & the nature of both pathological & consciously created neural networks….could def get into sigil work.

• I appreciate the offer, but I shall pass. I look forward to reading what you have to offer.

• A shame.

It would be an interesting growth opportunity for you and I suspect that you wouldn’t end up doing all the “heavy lifting”.

• When it comes to this topic I prefer abstract as an offering. I honestly feel it difficult to express something that is so diaphanous, and if I do I feel I am at risk of making it disappear. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but this is how I feel. Also, I am not an authority on this topic, nor do I wish to be perceived as such.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 23, 2013 at 1:30 am |

How about letting me run the article by you before release for opinion and feedback. I’m not the best at bringing my own ideas down to earth. It is difficult to express such things and I am always torn about setting out a subject matter that i feel deserves voluminous treatment and unprecedented level of exploration. Even broaching the thresholds seems like an immense overture. The points I hope would be to expand on the idea that 1) science is not in fact as shallow a dimension of expression as is presented to the masses. 2) it shares now, as it did historically many avenues with the occult. 3) that modern developments in the occult and neurology share common ground & will in the future have convergence that will have as much to do with our freedom as they do our control. 4) Mathematics is essential the most potent sigil system ever developed and it is the most powerful element the ‘elites’ have at their disposal. At one time it was an illiterate society that kept mankind in the dark; Now it is innumeracy.

• Ok, my mind is pinging already. I may be able to make some suggestions or moral support. lol. I am not sure how we can connect. I wish disqus offered personal messages.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 23, 2013 at 1:44 am |

Matt Staggs has my email address. His is listed frequently in his posting & he can facilitate contact. Feel free to use a burner email. I’m all for privacy.

• He has mine as well. We shall see what comes of this.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm |

double post

• It’s been a long night. Thought I was seeing double. 😉

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm |

Disqus is havin one of those days on my end.
          Pull an allnighter?

• Still pulling really. Translating a ridiculously long contract.

• Calypso_1 | Mar 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm |

I’ll bet seeing double kanji opens up some bizarre possibilities for metasymbolic language structure.

• When I started studying Japanese back in 97 I knew that Westerners viewed kanji as a psychological wall when they approached the language, so I decided to focus most of my energy on learning them before I could speak much. It was a good strategy, and I picked up the spoken component pretty quickly after I learned the first 1500. Reading a language with ideographs rather than phonetic characters is such a different experience. I understand words that I’ve never seen before just because of the component characters in them. I love kanji. I think everyone should learn at least a little, even f they don’t learn Chinese or Japanese. Kanji are a human heritage. I make my children study them every night.

They have 4-character wisdoms in Chinese and Japanese. Here are some of my favourites:
            是是非非
            栄枯盛衰
            温故知新
            無常迅速

and my personal favourite: 諸行無常

You can decipher them here: http://jisho.org/

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

don’t forget 喜喜
            it seems to me that the Chinese have never forget 喜喜

and the Japanese often have forgotten it

• You’re right. That’s because they’ve turned into worker ants who suffer from this one:
            過労死 (karoushi)

There’s only 3 that I could find in the dictionary with that character in them
            歓天喜地
            狂喜乱舞
            喜色満面

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm |

過労死
            the Chinese like their fun too much for that
            I know some of China’s top financial people
            and I used to know some of Der Homeland’s top financial people
            and the difference is night & day
            the Chinese are incredibly laid back, or at least appear to be
            personal freedom seems to be more important
            to the Chinese than the Japanese

the high level of personal freedom in China boarders on anarchy
            but in a Chinese fire drill sorta way
            the Japanese usually have their assholes sewn shut
            for public appearances

• In the cities, yeah. That’s why alcoholism is so rampant in Japan. it’s their social lubricant; it’s the only way one can say ‘fuck you’ politely to one’s boss. But the whole 縦社会 (tateshakai) concept has really got to their heads.

But I also managed to spend time living in the countryside. Much different. Quite pleasant. Reciprocal gifting is very methodical. My wife and I often talk about this, but when the formal economy collapses and fiat dissolves into the ether–sovereign debt exposure or not–communities in the countryside in Japan have a whole hell of a lot more chance than they do here in Canada. Self-reliance is etched into the traditional culture from 鎖国 (sakoku), but then again, so is racism! LoL!

• Jin The Ninja | Mar 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm |

on a side note, you’re hella brave to commment on the National Post site. i can’t even brave reading the comments on CBC, much less the NP.

• I look at it as a public service! LoL!

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm |

Japan was the first to experience the turmoil generated by the influx of Western Kulture into Asia. All of Asia is suffering PTSD effects from this to one degree or another. Alcoholism is a typical PTSD symptom.

鎖国
            Japan didn’t become a maniacal colonizer until after the invasion from the West. Their adoption of Western memes is mutated by their existing memes, which produces some pretty strange mutations.

“The Countryside” is now almost completely gone in Japan and approaching a rapid end in China.

The question in China is: can 華夏 survive?

• I didn’t know that one. Just read up on it in wikipedia. So 華夏 refers to ‘Chinese civilization’? Traditionalism is going down the drain? Same way in Japan. That seems to be a common lament in most places. The great homogeneizing death march strides on!

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm |

About 2500 years ago Confucius saw that 華夏 was in decline and sought to forestall that event with a set of rules, principles & guidelines, but it was already too late.

鎖国 doesn’t have a two character equivalent in Chinese, but the idea has been more prevalent than not in Chinese history. But to no avail. The Ming Emperor who closed China around 1500 set in motion a series of events that not only led to the fall of his dynasty but to the eventual collapse of China as an independent power 400 years later.

But the good news is, if he hadn’t closed China, Thailand would not exist and that would be a tragedy.

• I suspect that by the time someone like Confucius noticed, it would be too late.

• BuzzCoastin | Mar 24, 2013 at 12:16 am |

The Laozi is usually regarded as a contemporary of Confucius, but I conjecture that the Tao Te Ching dates from the original 華夏 that Confucius was hoping to save.

My thinking is, emphasizing Laozi and Tao Te Ching would have provided a greater degree of adaptability for 華夏 than Analects.

• Yeah comparisons. I once watched a group of self styled intellectuals go bananas over a model of spiritual progression provided by one person. All wanted to be viewed as enlightened, but didn’t mind throwing elbows to prove it. Eris wasn’t available for interviews.

• It’s an improvement over the linear, one dimensional (either you’re Right or you’re Left) narrative sold to us by the industrial media. We can appreciate progress while expressing dissatisfaction with the pace of it.

2. This man has no friends, he has tried to get them all to do this with their lives.

3. let me guess she is a hierarchical communitarian?

4. top left CEO of fortune 500 company, Top right Megachurch Pastor
    Bottom Left Software Engineer, bottom Right Anarchist Blogger

5. Damn, I’m afraid of all those things…

6. Rus Archer | Mar 22, 2013 at 12:11 pm |

what if fear none of that?

7. Daenerys_Targaryen | Mar 22, 2013 at 1:13 pm |

“Every anarchist is a baffled dictator” – Benito Mussolini.

Weirdly, I’ve always felt sympathy for both left-anarchists and right-statists whilst despising right-anarchists (Rothbard etc) and left-statists (Leninists, people who support anti-racism etc). And I came to the conclusion I must be a moderate fascist, someone who naturally agrees with the principles of authentic anarchists (not sleazy crypto-Marxists), but too cynical to believe its possible.

• Monkey See Monkey Do | Mar 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm |

Who cares which principles you agree with? It means shit-all if your not going to act upon them, unhealthy amounts of cynicism will help with that laziness. All these ism’s have been so abstracted that most of the time I hear people speak about them its like a recreation of the Tower of Babel.

Care to elaborate on the social interactions you’ve established in the name of fascism?

8. BuzzCoastin | Mar 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm |

funny that a Yale University publication wouldn’t have fear of Skull & Bones on there

9. InfvoCuernos | Mar 22, 2013 at 11:10 pm |

Did I miss the memo on the HPV vaccine being bad, or are we just anti-vaccine in general now? I guess I need to do some googling now.

• Parents out in the rectangular states are afraid that their daughters will turn into lustful cockmonsters if they’re immunized from herpes. They’ve been up in arms since doctors began recommending the vaccine at an early age as an immunization against cervical cancer (which is caused by the herpes virus). So this is a separate issue from the general Jenny McCarthy bullshit, having more to do with anti-sex attitudes than mistrust of the entire medical profession.