Boston Police Pose As Indie Rockers Online In Hilarious Fashion

“Whats the 411 on the local music show tonight?” …Life imitates art as authorities attempt, very poorly, to infiltrate and break up youth subculture by creating imaginary electronic personas, Slate reveals:

Boston police are finding out as their bungling efforts to infiltrate the underground rock scene online are being exposed. A recently passed nuisance control ordinance has spurred a citywide crackdown on house shows—concerts played in private homes, rather than in clubs. The police, it appears, are posing as music fans online to ferret out intel on where these DIY shows are going to take place.

This week the St. Louis band Spelling Bee posted a screencap of emails from an account that they believe was used by the police in a sting before their recent Boston show. It reads like an amazing parody of what you might imagine a cop trying to pose as a young punk would look like:

23 Comments on "Boston Police Pose As Indie Rockers Online In Hilarious Fashion"

1. Ittabena | Apr 1, 2013 at 9:22 am |

Gosh, I feel all protected and served. Joe Friday would have done better than this in the sixties.

2. Matt Staggs | Apr 1, 2013 at 9:59 am |

“21 Jump Street: Cyberpunk Edition”

3. emperorreagan | Apr 1, 2013 at 10:05 am |

On the plus side: when cops are doing all of their “police work” while sitting on the free wi-fi at McDonalds, everyone’s much safer from them.

• Calypso_1 | Apr 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |

This seems like such a fantastic opportunity to provide disinfo to the anti-underground. You could turn this into a reality-net show with some effort.

4. Don’t they have better things to do with their time?

5. CosmicAmazing | Apr 1, 2013 at 11:30 am |

Surprised no one on Disinfo is talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txwx5HXMbfQ

Unless I missed it..

• VRyan Wagner | Apr 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm |

Sadly, this video takes place in my hometown and is par for the course when it comes to OPD. Believe me, there will not be any punishment for the officers involved. Police beat downs are readily defended here.

• InfvoCuernos | Apr 2, 2013 at 3:13 am |

whatever you do, “DO NOT try to be a hero in that town.” That shit is out of control.

6. I live in a show house in Boston and we’ve been super lucky with avoiding any trouble but between neighbor complaints and police crackdowns the underground music scene is really suffering here. It’s a delicate balance between getting the word out and making shows accessible yet keeping things on the dl too…

7. Another plus side of this is…..do you know how long it has been since I heard of cops trying break up a music scene??? IS there hope for the future of deviant youths in music? Go Boston!! Nothing like a little oppression from the man to boost one’s creativity, to get the old poetry moving in a way that is far better than writing a whole album dedicated to how one is finding themselves enamored with the navel of some girl they met, while chilling with no threat of arrest for expressing themselves.

8. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |

Which reminds me, komrade, when is the next anti-authoritarian protest gathering?

• Calypso_1 | Apr 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |

Excellent news Komrade we have taken control & the Troikas will begins shortlies. Please you listen to the HAARPs for speacial signals of transformations. You will know what it is to do.

9. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm |

April Fools!
    Dear leader would never mess with our heads this way.

10. Hadrian999 | Apr 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm |

reminds me of the “undercover” cop at the beginning of “so I married an ax murderer

11. WHy waste resources on this shit?

12. InfvoCuernos | Apr 2, 2013 at 3:18 am |

Sometimes I like to look through these posts here and try to figure out if one of you is a cop or fed or some other “agent”. I imagine they would stumble across disinfo eventually, and, you know how we like to chitchat about revolution and things… anyway, I gotta get these books on patriotism back to the library now, I’ll see you guys later…