Margaret Thatcher Dead

Margaret Thatcher cropped2Love her or loathe her – tell us your thoughts (in the comments section) on Margaret Thatcher, whose death was announced today. The BBC has the details:

Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died “peacefully” at the age of 87 after suffering a stroke, her family has announced.

David Cameron called her a “great Briton” and the Queen spoke of her sadness at the death.

Lady Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990. She was the first woman to hold the role.

She will not have a state funeral but will be accorded the same status as Princess Diana and the Queen Mother.

The ceremony, with full military honours, will take place at London’s St Paul’s Cathedral.

The union jack above Number 10 Downing Street has been lowered to half-mast.

‘Force of nature’
Mr Cameron, who is in Madrid for meetings, has cancelled planned talks in Paris with French President Francois Hollande and will return to the UK later on Monday.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson said Lady Thatcher had been a controversial politician who inspired “passion” among both her critics and supporters…

[continues at the BBC]

, ,

44 Responses to Margaret Thatcher Dead

1. Michael Barger April 8, 2013 at 9:57 am #

Yawn!! she did all the damage she could do!! and now she is gone forever!! end of story time to move on!!

• Andy Beveridge April 8, 2013 at 10:28 am #

No way, I am going to savour this moment/day while I can – i was just out of school and could not get a job and there was very little future for someone of my background. I remember crying from frustration in my bedroom one day…a few months, maybe a year later I had a breakdown. I hate her and I hope she rots.

2. howiebledsoe April 8, 2013 at 9:57 am #

Her actions are now just being felt today. She enabled the utra-rich with her de-regulation, as well as cutting public funding to give to the upper classes. Reagan just LOVED her style, and copied it from top to bottom. We can look out the window and see exactly what her decisions have brought forth. If you are looking out of the window of a 1%er home, you will see glorious things only dreamt of by our forefathers. Otherwise, your view will be very grim indeed, and will keep sliding downhill, as your children pass the gauntlet of poverty onto their children. Thanks, Maggie.

3. Matt Staggs April 8, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Her hair in this picture makes her head look like a stalk of broccoli.

• Chaorder Gradient April 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm #

I think she was trying to go for the Mushroom Cap look

• emperorreagan April 8, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

I can see where people get the idea that we’re governed by reptilian aliens if I stare at her picture long enough.

• DeepCough April 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Something about that hairdo which emphasizes “crazy……”

• Calypso_1 April 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Given the amount of aerosol product needed it should be noted that the Antarctic ozone thining coincides with her ascension to PM.

• lifobryan April 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

I prefer her hair this way:

• DeepCough April 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm #

No wonder her ideas were out of this world: she was a CONEHEAD!

4. emperorreagan April 8, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Good riddance. The world would have been a better place had you never existed.

5. Andrew April 8, 2013 at 11:02 am #

6. Tchoutoye April 8, 2013 at 11:05 am #

• ParanoidCoast April 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

LOL. You read my mind. Rust in Peace Thatcher the Milk Snatcher.

7. Melanie Blinstrub April 8, 2013 at 11:17 am #

I’m not “up on” all the nitty gritty that many can look into / or dig up on her. But a casual observance … SOOOO many people in the public eye have been slandered with private indiscretions and low life actions; but for some weird reason … she just doesn’t come up on my memory radar .. with all the dirt that most public people do. Kinda different ……

• Calypso_1 April 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Look at the ‘business’ career of young Mark. It’s an excellent microcosm of speculative misadventure.

8. IokSotot April 8, 2013 at 11:46 am #

Ding! Dong! The witch is Dead!

9. Richard Andrew Holmes April 8, 2013 at 11:48 am #

She singlehandedly spawned a generation of selfishness for which we are still paying the consequences for. God love her Devilling.

10. rak April 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

Why do neoliberals live sooo long? Friedman (94), Pinochet (91), Hayek (92), Reagan (93), Thatcher (87).
    Fuck…

• CosmicAmazing April 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Because they all eat organic..

• Rhoid Rager April 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Because they benefit from state protection, of course. LoL!

• Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 3:26 am #

Well all the good die young.

11. rak April 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Is her stroke linked to off-shore accounts disclosure?

12. DeepCough April 8, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Here is my tribute to the Iron Lady.

13. WTFMFWOMG April 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

May she be reincarnated as a victim of her policies. Karma, baby. You don’t have to believe in any sort of religion to know that what we do in this life makes a “heaven” or a “hell” for those who follow.

14. howiebledsoe April 8, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Go fuck yourself you sad little fuck.

15. VaudeVillain April 8, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

It’s always sad when somebody dies, even somebody we don’t like very much.

I hope that she didn’t have to suffer long, and that it was mercifully swift.

16. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 3:20 am #

How many white Argies died over the Falklands, how many Arabs in Iraq, how many beautiful white babies through her support of abortion, how many old people froze to death in the winter…

Thatcher is the UK’s equivalent to Rothbard, Goldwater and indeed that actor Reagan. She only used the appearance of conservatism to push free market exploitation and anti-traditional cultural reforms. Now there are no Enoch Powells or Alan Clarks in the Tory Party because, despite who she liked or disliked personally, she let in all kinds of people like Teresa Gorman into the party (imagine a Bolshevik who supports free markets and that’s Gorman). When an organisation isn’t anti left-liberal it turns left-liberal and that’s why we have the ‘muscular liberalism’ of David Cameron today.

Ultimately her corporations and American connections have done as much damage to Britain as the out-of-line unions and their links to the Soviets.

17. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 3:24 am #

Oh yea I just realised, this is the news that can bring all Disinfo commentators together in celebration.

18. cakey pig April 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Ding fucking dong.

19. rak April 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm #

Author, please bring me next good news about Kissinger ! It is time for him to be on the news too!

20. VaudeVillain April 8, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

Given that the primary criticism of Thatcher was that her policies were heartless and lacking in compassion, one might think her critics would exhibit signs that they do not share these deficiencies.

Apparently, one would be wrong. I’ll just chalk this one up to tribalism at its most hilariously awful.

May you see the error of your ways.

21. lifobryan April 8, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

You are very right. Part of me revels in the humanly snarky (& valid & important) caricature of one whose actions led directly to misery. On the other hand, I hope to never lose the capacity to find human-ness in even the most despicable. Not forgiving attitudes or actions, of course. But, while brazenly condemning folly & evil, I nevertheless do hope for some kind of soul redemption. A curious balance, but hopefully true. Even Reagan. Even Bush. Still having a tough time with Cheney, because I question whether there is a soul there ….

22. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

A full summary and overview.

23. ParanoidCoast April 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

Now that makes me feel sad for her.

24. Andrew April 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

That doesn’t mean they’re wrong about everything. Just 99% of everything.

25. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

Who cares?

No newspaper has covered her death by going into detail about Thatcher’s legacy in the same way.

26. Andrew April 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Well, fuck me then, because I haven’t yet cleansed all the racism out of my subconscious.

27. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Which Klasmen post on there? Bit of a cliche innit?

The author Colin Liddell isn’t too far from what the average trade unionist believed at the time Thatcher came to power. Of course the core support for Labour were kicked out their own Labour party by uni educated multiculturalists, gay rights activists and feminists.

People bitch how Thatcher only sent the pigs against rioting Afro-Caribbeans, you forget she sent the army against striking English miners because you only care about race. Yea well ‘oppressed’ minorities can cry me a river.

Answer me this – since Thatcher was in power people like Blair and Cameron have gone out their way to please immigrants and fight racism. But how much of Thatcher’s real damage did they put right for us? Like I said, cry me a river.

28. Daenerys_Targaryen April 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Can you think for yourself or you need to copypasta everything?

Like the Wikipedia citing the SPLC, who think PUAs are a friggin’ hate movement lol.

29. Andrew April 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I also recognize that I’m a sinner.

30. gemjunior April 10, 2013 at 12:45 am #

My my, what a self-righteous, shrill little man you are. “I don’t have discussions with racists!” oooh” If you’re even 1% tainted by racism, FUCK YOU!” oooh you litte terror, you!
    You are the type of person who doesn”t believe things that are right in front of your stupid face. To you, racism is worse than rape, assault and murder all put together. You are just another braindead cheerleader for the regime – which is using race and racism, race warring, and race baiting to shift wealth from the middle class to the lower class through entitlements such as section 8 housing, food stamps, welfare, medicaid etc., and hope nobody will notice they’re all black at the same time they are committing all the crimes and the mainstream news hides it. But that’s ok, because anyone who notices is a racist! Oooh, thank God I’m not a hideous racist. Stupid fucker. Don’t even come on this website because you’re too stupid you sheep. Baaa Baaa. Moron.

31. Daenerys_Targaryen April 10, 2013 at 2:00 am #

Why are you leaving blog comments then lol?