North Carolina Republican Lawmakers May Propose State Religion

If this goes through, will they have a special emergency election? If so, my vote is for Crom.

33 Comments on "North Carolina Republican Lawmakers May Propose State Religion"

1. My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.

• Matt Staggs | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm |

“I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom’s realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer’s Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.”

-Robert E. Howard (“Queen of the Black Coast”)

• Gabriel D. Roberts | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm |

Perfect poetry!

• I have the complete chronicles. It’s one of my best media buys. I find it most interesting that there is not a book out there about the philosophy within the story of Conan. Oliver Stone mentions the philosophy in a documentary about Conan the Barbarian. It’s more obvious in Robert E. Howard’s tales. Who was an interesting character and friend of Lovecraft’s.

Anyhow, North Carolina needs to stop eating stygian black lotuses. Because they are trippin’!

• Matt Staggs | Apr 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm |

I’ve got those too! I actually pitched a book on the wisdom of Conan, but was told that getting around the company who owns the media rights would be far too difficult.

• I got to read that again, that guy is so fucking awesome.

• Calypso_1 | Apr 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm |

Smell her sweet aroma and weep tears of joy.

2. Anarchy Pony | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:15 pm |

For a bunch of people that blather on and on about the holy constitution, they sure seem to trample on it all the time.

• Michael Shanklin | Apr 4, 2013 at 2:29 pm |

Constitutions are a joke…

Spooner: The Constitution Of No Authority

“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain – that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.”

~Lysander Spooner

3. DeepCough | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:19 pm |

What’s the worst that could happen? Theocracy?

4. Apathesis | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:38 pm |

It seems like every state is going FULL RETARD these days.

• Michael Shanklin | Apr 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

What do you expect from statism/owning other people through politics…

5. Hadrian999 | Apr 3, 2013 at 5:58 pm |

I would back making the national religion Tarvuism

6. You know this really ironic. Baptists were once the biggest proponents of of Separation of Church and State.

• Was it the dominionist movement that brought on the religious push in politics, or did they just bring the zealousness to an already unconstitutional movement?

• I think its the former, especially as far as Baptists are concerned. Other Protestant denominations have a history of being State Churches in Europe.

If you read the link, Baptists historically were very populist, free thinking and non hierarchical (at least compared to other protestant churches) “free thinking” might seem like a stretch but that is what “individual soul liberty” is about. It is a very enlightened and democratic idea.

• Looking at that list makes it look so simple.

• Not only that, but a majority of Americans in the 1770’s were affiliated with the Church of England, and Baptists, Catholics, Atheists and Deists shared a common interest in making sure the new nation protected the minority.

• Calypso_1 | Apr 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm |

Overall i would agree with you in regard to denominational doctrine, but there had been a century long cross denominational evangelical upper hierarchy concerned w/ nothing other than political power & influence and maintaing the mechanisms of class structure towards the ‘god endowed’ wealthy & powerful.

• Well, I think these little independent Baptist churches were a target of an agenda, yes. I really doubt that world domination was the plan originally. They have the same origin as the Amish and the Mennonites.

• Calypso_1 | Apr 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm |

I take it you haven’t read ‘The Family’.

• 1captainhooker1 | Apr 4, 2013 at 11:40 am |

The Baptists were founded by Roger Williams on the very notion that there was too much overlap between the Puritan church and Massachusetts government. Williams’s “Bloody Tenet of Persecution for Cause of Conscience” and “Letter to the town of Providence” are echoed in Thomas Jefferson’s writing on the subject (Notes on State of Virgina – Ch. Religion).

• right. I’d say out of all the anabaptists, the Mennonites are kind of the only ones holding the Baptist principles down. But when I was at Baptist Bible College they still were teaching separation of Church and State and how Dominionism was a Theological error.

I think Christian Radio and TV is a big influence for Domninionism rather than churches.

7. VaudeVillain | Apr 3, 2013 at 6:55 pm |

Did anyone else notice that their “senior” political correspondent looks like he’s 12?

Huffpo is comedy gold.

8. David Howe | Apr 4, 2013 at 7:40 am |

Put a black man in the white house….people lose their shit. Freedom is tyranny, y’all!

• More racist BS, last time you were on about the Jews. I wonder what race you will be in your next life, because that will happen whether or not you chose to believe in it or not.

• Saying people lose their shit because a black man is president is a criticism of the racist people who’ve lost their shit.

• If you look at David’s track record on Disquss, and on here I think you might want to rethink whether you really wish to jump to this man’s defense quite so quickly. It also might cause you to doubt whether you have read his mind correctly or not. I stand by my comment, as I always do.

9. Calypso_1 | Apr 4, 2013 at 9:53 am |

If this little stunt decides to spread to other members of the Confederacy, I’m sure some organized Bible burnings would be a sufficiently disruptive countermeasure.

10. What’s wrong with state sovereignty? My only issue is its a little too big. Perhaps county sovereignty would be better. I believe communities should be able to make their own laws (barring legalized murder, rape and torture). I would love to see communities of blacks banning whites from their community. Or a group of lesbians not wanting men. Or white conservatives wanting a whitebread community. Its their prerogative and that’s an aspect of freedom. I, personally, would choose to live in an open community and I think communities of Love would reveal themselves to be the most Just.
    The right/left dichotomy is a great system to strip rights on both sides.

11. jasonpaulhayes | Apr 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm |

When freedom is only for a few, what happens when that few includes you?

12. Daenerys_Targaryen | Apr 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm |

Here in the UK, where we have a stare religion no one takes seriously anyway, and where we have a very American kind of politics without some silly constitution, people fussing one way or the other over this crap just seems weird.

People here might have opinions about religion, or less commonly whether we should have a constitution. But there’s something uniquely irrational about American politics isn’t there?