Just like Baskin-Robbins, the Paul brand has learned it can increase its customer base by offering both chocolate and strawberry. Therefore,
– Ron Paul is continuing to advocate closing Guantanamo Bay,
– Rand Paul is advocating keeping Guantanamo Bay open.
Reporting on the opening of the Ron Paul Institute, whose board of directors has been joined by former Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich, Politico noted the Gitmo issue as one of several gaps between the older Dr. Paul and the younger Dr. Paul:
It will not be surprising if the younger Paul receives less than a 100 percent rating from his father’s group.
The elder Paul, for instance, said Guantanamo is “outside the law” and symbolizes torture, secret prisons and an assassination list.
The Kentucky senator, 50, gave a carefully nuanced answer Wednesday when a reporter asked his position on Gitmo during a breakfast sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor. He said Americans should never be sent there, but he is less sympathetic about giving rights to hostile foreigners.
Asked about his son’s divergence, the elder Paul noted that it is a politically difficult issue and acknowledged he is on the wrong side of public opinion.
Latest posts by MarkB (see all)
- Study: Twitter is a Political Echo Chamber - Jul 29, 2016
- U.S. Promised Soviet Union it Would Not Expand NATO - Jul 26, 2016
- Santa’s Sacrificial Demands - Dec 4, 2015