Wrongly Convicted Rapist Set Free After 38 Years in Prison

Picture: NY Daily News (C)

Picture: NY Daily News (C)

David Bryant had his youth stolen for him because his court-appointed attorney neglected to mention that he had a different blood type from body fluids from those collected from the body of a raped and murdered eight year-old girl. Arrested when he was 18, Bryant is now 56, the victim of a judgment system all too quick to carelessly convict a suspect of convenience. He’s free now, thanks to the efforts of advocacy group Centurion Ministries.

As you can imagine, 38 years in prison as a convicted child murderer and rapist is brutal:

“Let me tell you, the rape and murder of an 8-year-old girl is not the ideal thing to be in prison for,” he said.

“All I had was my faith that I knew I was an innocent man. I was alone. I had no one. All I had was my personal knowledge that I didn’t commit these awful acts, and I clung to that so tight and I never let it go,” Bryant continued. “I didn’t believe I would come out alive. There was a $50,000 bounty on my head.”

Bryant said he was jumped numerous times while in prison, and was once almost fatally stabbed. But he said the hardest part of being in the slammer was the isolation.

“No one is there for you. No one cares if you live or die. No one. It’s hard to explain what it does to your soul,” he said.

One man’s life irreparably ruined, and somewhere out there a child killer still walks free. Never assume that anyone has your best interests at heart should you find yourself at the mercy of our justice system, especially if you have to rely on a court-appointed attorney.

Keep Reading.

21 Comments on "Wrongly Convicted Rapist Set Free After 38 Years in Prison"

1. Hadrian999 | Apr 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm |

if i were him i would want blood

2. BuzzCoastin | Apr 14, 2013 at 8:42 pm |

multiply his story by several million other Black people
    and you get a glimpse of the racist legal practices
    of The Land of the Free White Elites

• Hadrian999 | Apr 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm |

and people wonder why nobody trusts the justice system

• BuzzCoastin | Apr 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm |

I’ve never met anyone
        except lawyers who trust
        the Homeland’s criminal, criminal justice system

if you’re Black or of the darker skin persuasion
        you already know what White people suspect

• emperorreagan | Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 am |

Lawyers can’t openly disparage the judiciary, because they run the risk of being disbarred. Even being critical of the judiciary is problematic if you continue to practice and might have to appear before a particular judge.

Judges are largely unaccountable, though at least there seems to be spreading awareness of that and more motion on judicial watching.

I think any trust lawyers profess is more of a defense mechanism since they have to go to work every day. The big guys know its all about the connections. The little guys are well aware that when you walk in a court room to defend a minority or the poor, work for a non-profit, etc. that the court is heavily slanted against you.

• Hadrian999 | Apr 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm |

prosecutors actively exploit the corrupt justice system with threats of unjust outcomes in order to secure plea agreements. combine that with the current trend of defunding public defenders offices it becomes almost impossible to actually have faith in the justice system.

• emperorreagan | Apr 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm |

Every person I’ve ever met socially who worked in the prosecutor’s office was looking at a career in politics and basically uninterested in anything but their success rate so they could use that as an accomplishment at some later date.

• I work in the courts.
            I can tell you that I have spoken to more than a couple of defense attorneys, and in private they will tell you that the system is corrupt and illegitimate. Now prosecutors are an entirely different beast. As you suggest, they are only trying to get as many convictions as they can possibly rack up, simply because it will further their career down the line, either as a “tough on crime politician” or as a judge. BTW, most judges, at least the ones in the LA superior court, come from the prosecutor’s office. That alone should tell you all you need to know about “justice” in this country.

• ⚔Christophuh⚔ | Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 am |

oh, yes. its all a big conspiracy. lol.

• BuzzCoastin | Apr 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm |

to white people it’s a joke
        but to the millions of falsely imprisoned Blacks
        it’s not

• ⚔Christophuh⚔ | Apr 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm |

I know, they are all innocent. Just ask them!

• BuzzCoastin | Apr 17, 2013 at 4:09 am |

with insightful & extremely white people like you
            it’s not hard to see
            how the lopsided incarceration Black people continues
            in the land of the kinda free-like, sorta, kinda

• ⚔Christophuh⚔ | Apr 18, 2013 at 10:44 am |

Oh, so now its MY fault they are in prison? Nothing to do with breaking the law. I see.

• BuzzCoastin | Apr 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm |

are you really that stupid, or just a troll
            Black people are 7 times more likely to be imprisoned than Whites
            and only a White racist would assume that that is because
            Blacks are more criminal than Whites
            when all it shows is that Whites are racists

• Mr. Obama is a “White Elite?”

• BuzzCoastin | Apr 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm |

the fact that you don’t know that
        or seem to think he’s Black
        speak volumes

3. I’d just like to point out that “too” and “to” are different words in the english language and that an alarming number of english-speaking people don’t seem to know the difference.

“a judgment system all to quick to carelessly convict a suspect of convenience.” should be “all too quick to”

Not exactly relevant to the story, but I see it several times every day and it just pisses me off.

• Matt Staggs | Apr 14, 2013 at 10:36 pm |

Eztrenk, I know the difference. It’s a typo, for Pete’s sake. I’m still sick with a cold. Cut me some slack. 😉

4. “Wrongly convicted rapist” makes it sound like he actually is a rapist, he just got convicted erroneously for something else. Can you fix this?

5. Of course now that he’s freed, the justice system will leave him homeless and without a dime to his name. No restitution at all. I want to see that court-appointed attorney behind bars for unbelievable negligence. I could have defended this poor man better than that attorney. Even a monkey could have prevented this man from the merciless racism of the American justice system.

6. I know there are lots more of inncent men and women who arte still locked up because of the color of their skin.